2020-21 Season Outlook

May 5, 2009
The problem is that not everyone is wearing masks. Not everyone is being sensible about this thing and not having big parties or gathering in large crowds. Yes, even with 100% mask usage and no large crowds, the virus would still be here, but it wouldn't have as many places to spread.

With all of that said, you're right -- it's not going away until there's a vaccine. I remain cautiously optimistic that one or more of the four vaccine candidates out there will be the one that slows this thing.
If you look at the photos in today's TD, most of protesters were not wearing masks and were not socially distancing. Over 3500 new cases over the week end in Virginia.

Jun 29, 2017
I am not sure what the goal is (I know flattening the curve was the original goal), but now I am not so sure.
This will never be "under control" until we have a vaccine. Until then, people will continue to get the virus. Not sure why this continues to be news.
There will always be the potential for flare ups and hot spots unless we all quarantine, which I don't think is possible either (on so many fronts).
No, I am not advocating we go back to "normal". But, hoping the spread will slow down or stop just because we wear mask and social distance is shear lunacy. I guess what I am saying is just because there are positive cases does not mean we stomp on the breaks again, it will not stop the spread.

I guess my question is, if there is not a vaccine in the short term, do we kiss all of this good bye? Will we follow these protocols for one year, 5 years, 10 years? The virus will always be with us if that is the case. It will not not magically disappear no matter how many precautions we take.
Hoping the spread will slow down or stop if we wear masks and practice social distancing isn't lunacy at all. It's how countries much smarter than we are no longer suffering like we're suffering. See New Zealand, for example. We're in the fix we're in because we've never done those things in anything more than a half-assed way. We never stomped on the brakes. We kinda, sorta applied the breaks gingerly.

If you listen to epidemiologists, opening schools and colleges is going to be a disaster. And the institutions know it. They are, in essence, sacrificing humans for tuition and fees. We'll see what their thresholds are. How many members of their communities will have to get sick and die before they shut down again? I don't think we'll make it to Halloween.

Sorry for that uplifting-as-heck opinion. Carry on. And go Rams - just not this year. Be safe.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Hoping the spread will slow down or stop if we wear masks and practice social distancing isn't lunacy at all. It's how countries much smarter than we are no longer suffering like we're suffering. See New Zealand, for example. We're in the fix we're in because we've never done those things in anything more than a half-assed way. We never stomped on the brakes. We kinda, sorta applied the breaks gingerly.

If you listen to epidemiologists, opening schools and colleges is going to be a disaster. And the institutions know it. They are, in essence, sacrificing humans for tuition and fees. We'll see what their thresholds are. How many members of their communities will have to get sick and die before they shut down again? I don't think we'll make it to Halloween.

Sorry for that uplifting-as-heck opinion. Carry on. And go Rams - just not this year. Be safe.
Shut down entirely or almost entirely: the economy takes a massive hit, but can be managed to some extent through government action

Don't shut down at all: economy takes less of a hit but lots and lots of people die

Do what we did: the economy tanks, lots of people die

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If you look at the photos in today's TD, most of protesters were not wearing masks and were not socially distancing. Over 3500 new cases over the week end in Virginia.
If they get arrested, the Governor will release them in order to protest the rest of the criminals. Who is the "trailer park" and who is the "tornado" in this situation. Think about that statement for a minute and let it resonate. That analogy is compliments of the TV series Yellowstone and Beth.

Reactions: Ramdog

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Shut down entirely or almost entirely: the economy takes a massive hit, but can be managed to some extent through government action

Don't shut down at all: economy takes less of a hit but lots and lots of people die

Do what we did: the economy tanks, lots of people die
How about people be smart and not act like ignorant dumba$$es, and we gradually open up the economy. This spike is on the people and not the government. No social distancing at the beach, no social distancing at protests/riots, very little social distancing at restaurants. And then there are the idiots that think they are above wearing a mask in public. I just went through a self imposed quarantine because two fellow employees were careless and tested positive, and I am pissed at them. Since when does the American public feel like they are no longer required to be accountable for their own actions? This pandemic has really shown me how many truly ignorant people there are out there, both young and old. This country is losing all of its moral values!!!

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
How about people be smart and not act like ignorant dumba$$es, and we gradually open up the economy. This spike is on the people and not the government. No social distancing at the beach, no social distancing at protests/riots, very little social distancing at restaurants. And then there are the idiots that think they are above wearing a mask in public. I just went through a self imposed quarantine because two fellow employees were careless and tested positive, and I am pissed at them. Since when does the American public feel like they are no longer required to be accountable for their own actions? This pandemic has really shown me how many truly ignorant people there are out there, both young and old. This country is losing all of its moral values!!!
I don't disagree. I do long for the days of "the buck stops here" rather than "I accept no responsibility"

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
What about the idiot that started the "Lets have a conversation" thread about racism on the boards and then decides to duck out of the conversation he wanted to have. Yep no responsibility. And if I dare say it, no leadership.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
If the season doesn’t happen, I think it would be cool if the ncca, or whoever is in charge, allowed for a number of practices and eventually teams hold a series of intra-squad games. It would be even cooler to see those game streamed to fans. A handful of best of 3 or 5 black vs gold with different lineups after each series. I know I’d watch.

Steve Roadcap

Top Member
Oct 18, 2015
I can easily envision the college basketball season being delayed til spring 2021 and the same for college football all courtesy of the pandemic situation. Hope not and I hope the MLB season is not brought to a screeching halt. The Marlins are currently paying a high price with 18 members of the team and staff being infected with COVID-19.

Reactions: connell

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I wonder if leagues could do sites for a few weekends and lump the conference schedule together. Like 4 games in 4 days, and play every other week or two. Limits the need to travel and excessive testing and could get a full conference season completed in 6 weeks.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if leagues could do sites for a few weekends and lump the conference schedule together. Like 4 games in 4 days, and play every other week or two. Limits the need to travel and excessive testing and could get a full conference season completed in 6 weeks.
They could I guess but anyway there is no leadership so the point is probably moot.