2020-21 Season Outlook

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I don't wanna be a debbie downer but this is the truth. We posted yesterday online about why we have decided to not go back to campus for a bit until we can see how the irresponsibility eventually weights out. We've been taking a close objective look at online posts from many places about peoples' observances on campus for the last 10 days. I have seen at least 100 posts about no masks, massive rowdy parties (with fights), no distancing, and much worse. 2 positive posts about students wearing masks. I have a folder of 35 of the worst screenshots of what I can only say scares the sht out of me and Kat, leading up to today. Today is the first day in 25 years we have not started back with students, after a summer off. This is the time we usually add something to a savings where we can make it through the slower times, we can make a buffer to help us make it through times when everything slows down... Christmas and times of snow/storms. We can't be on campus with what we have seen. No way. We're devastated. Financially I cannot take this one dang bit, that is even more depressing, but taking the chance on dying is not for one second something we can do, much less paying hospital bills which would without a doubt make me lose my home. We'll be watching as the weeks progress and hopefully, things will stay copacetic. Until then it's back to landscaping jobs we can scrape up. VERY thankful there have been some angels in our life, though.
Besides that, I want basketball, dammit. I need it in my life. I need to see these guys compete and rise.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I don't wanna be a debbie downer but this is the truth. We posted yesterday online about why we have decided to not go back to campus for a bit until we can see how the irresponsibility eventually weights out. We've been taking a close objective look at online posts from many places about peoples' observances on campus for the last 10 days. I have seen at least 100 posts about no masks, massive rowdy parties (with fights), no distancing, and much worse. 2 positive posts about students wearing masks. I have a folder of 35 of the worst screenshots of what I can only say scares the sht out of me and Kat, leading up to today. Today is the first day in 25 years we have not started back with students, after a summer off. This is the time we usually add something to a savings where we can make it through the slower times, we can make a buffer to help us make it through times when everything slows down... Christmas and times of snow/storms. We can't be on campus with what we have seen. No way. We're devastated. Financially I cannot take this one dang bit, that is even more depressing, but taking the chance on dying is not for one second something we can do, much less paying hospital bills which would without a doubt make me lose my home. We'll be watching as the weeks progress and hopefully, things will stay copacetic. Until then it's back to landscaping jobs we can scrape up. VERY thankful there have been some angels in our life, though.
Besides that, I want basketball, dammit. I need it in my life. I need to see these guys compete and rise.
Our daughter is a freshman living in GRC. Her perspective is different from what you're describing. She said the kids in the dorms seem to be taking it seriously, and she hasn't heard or seen of one issue with non-mask wearers. She's been there since last Tuesday, and has been to several game nights and gatherings in the dorms, and all were wearing masks. With all of that said, she hasn't been hanging out off campus. My assumption is that's where all of this stuff you're describing is happening.

Jul 14, 2011
ugh this is terrible. I'm so sorry for you guys. And here I was, watching from a far for the to see if I should even chance grabbing takeout or beers from places near campus because I am worried the irresponsible students will have spread there. My worries are small potatoes.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Our daughter is a freshman living in GRC. Her perspective is different from what you're describing. She said the kids in the dorms seem to be taking it seriously, and she hasn't heard or seen of one issue with non-mask wearers. She's been there since last Tuesday, and has been to several game nights and gatherings in the dorms, and all were wearing masks. With all of that said, she hasn't been hanging out off campus. My assumption is that's where all of this stuff you're describing is happening.
Gatherings indoors spread covid, masks or not.
I am honestly approaching our return objectively but as safely as possible, and
I wish
the proof
wasn't everywhere,
but it just is.
And those are just reddit, twitter is a whole other scary monster with postings about it.

We'll be watching as these next few weeks roll on. I just wish the things I am seeing weren't out there.
Yall know I am one of the biggest homers of this joint. I really wanna see better.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2011
Gatherings indoors spread covid, masks or not.
Yeah, I dont understand how people seem to gloss over this. A couple friends invited me to play a board game at their apt but said it was ok because there werent going to be a ton of people. Yet didnt take into account that there would still be a handful of people from different industries in a small room touching the same game pieces. A couple who actively work in health care. Had to politely nope out of that.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Yeah, I dont understand how people seem to gloss over this. A couple friends invited me to play a board game at their apt but said it was ok because there werent going to be a ton of people. Yet didnt take into account that there would still be a handful of people from different industries in a small room touching the same game pieces. A couple who actively work in health care. Had to politely nope out of that.
They should know better. VCU Reddit now polling users about how many weeks vcu will be in school before going online, after Notre Dame also went online. I really DO hope this experiment goes better than some expect right now.
Yesterday, I went and picked up a pc someone is building for whoever would need it, I had in mind a local family of 5.. brought it back home and loaded it, and tweaked windows for this family, adding a 32" flat screen as a monitor and a spare really nice keyboard and mouse set for the family. Dude who assembled it is army, originally from Anchorage, staying in a hotel in Hopewell near the base. This hotel is their "bubble" of sorts. He knew better than to ask us to come inside the hotel opted instead that we all just go ahead and meet for this exchange, outside. We're getting this family a firestick today and setting it up with our streaming accounts, too... and this will of course be an outdoors exchange.
I don't know how functional the things which disinfect indoor air are, but among the best things I have seen are these "germaway" things silver diner has installed in all their diners. I guess they're rather expensive, but UV light kills viruses in the air that passes through them. I would love to see these things being used more widely.

Feb 14, 2011

My son is reporting that he was pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of students at JMU are acting like responsible adults. There are still off campus parties but seem to be very small groups, more like friends catching up since last spring. Every college campus has their share of dumb-a$$es so maybe it will be a matter of time but maybe VCU's off campus "issues" are not totally related to VCU Students.

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
W.a.d.r., I remember telling my folks about all of the studying, soda pop, and clean livin I was doing down around campus, so...