2020-21 Season Outlook

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
A little birdie told me today that one of VCU's athletic teams, not either of the basketball programs, has had a Covid outbreak. Over 20 students, staff, and/or coaches have tested positive for the virus.

That same birdie said that VCU is gaming the system when it comes to reporting Covid cases. They're only publicly reporting cases where a student lives on-campus. Any student who lives off-campus, which is the vast majority of our student body, isn't being included, the argument being that those people should instead be counted by Richmond city, Henrico county, etc. Thus, the number of Covid cases involving VCU students is much higher than what is being announced.

Reactions: RamLover

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
A little birdie told me today that one of VCU's athletic teams, not either of the basketball programs, has had a Covid outbreak. Over 20 students, staff, and/or coaches have tested positive for the virus.

That same birdie said that VCU is gaming the system when it comes to reporting Covid cases. They're only publicly reporting cases where a student lives on-campus. Any student who lives off-campus, which is the vast majority of our student body, isn't being included, the argument being that those people should instead be counted by Richmond city, Henrico county, etc. Thus, the number of Covid cases involving VCU students is much higher than what is being announced.
IDK if that's gaming the system. I mean, if athletes who are living off campus are catching COVID somewhere besides VCU and aren't passing it along to students who are living on campus, I think that shows that VCU's safety protocol is working, no?

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
My university employer reports both on campus and off campus numbers and faculty/staff numbers.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
IDK if that's gaming the system. I mean, if athletes who are living off campus are catching COVID somewhere besides VCU and aren't passing it along to students who are living on campus, I think that shows that VCU's safety protocol is working, no?

I'm not going to interpret this situation for you. You're welcome to draw any conclusion you like. All this little birdie was saying was that the number of VCU students and staff that have contracted COVID is much higher than is being reported, and it has seriously affected one of our athletic programs.

• Sad
Reactions: MobileMunchies
Dec 16, 2013
I'm not going to interpret this situation for you. You're welcome to draw any conclusion you like. All this little birdie was saying was that the number of VCU students and staff that have contracted COVID is much higher than is being reported, and it has seriously affected one of our athletic programs.

VCU should practice the transparency they often PREACH about!! , if what is being intimated by that little Birdie is indeed correct. my take is VCU owes it to the students, parents, faculty and staff to provide all the information it can (I understand and support not identifying specific names for confidentiality purposes), to allow each constituency to make the best decision for their particular situation - (once again IF the information is correct)
I don't see this as an Athletic issue for colleges and universities -
As far as seriously affecting our athletic program, we ain't playing this fall, so not sure how it could affect athletics anymore.
go Rams and stay safe and support each other and to quote MM - try and listen

Jan 16, 2020
From an historical standpoint, the wearing of masks would be fitting for VCU ... Runnin' Rams were considered an "outlaw program" in early '70s for committing the heinous "crime" of having at least three blacks on floor at same time ... angered constables from multiple states issued BOLOs (Be On the Lookout).

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
VCU should practice the transparency they often PREACH about!! , if what is being intimated by that little Birdie is indeed correct. my take is VCU owes it to the students, parents, faculty and staff to provide all the information it can (I understand and support not identifying specific names for confidentiality purposes), to allow each constituency to make the best decision for their particular situation - (once again IF the information is correct)
I don't see this as an Athletic issue for colleges and universities -
As far as seriously affecting our athletic program, we ain't playing this fall, so not sure how it could affect athletics anymore.
go Rams and stay safe and support each other and to quote MM - try and listen
I just meant that COVID has infected a large number of athletes/coaches from one of our programs. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: share the ball

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
My son is reporting that he was pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of students at JMU are acting like responsible adults. There are still off campus parties but seem to be very small groups, more like friends catching up since last spring. Every college campus has their share of dumb-a$$es so maybe it will be a matter of time but maybe VCU's off campus "issues" are not totally related to VCU Students.
Moved my son into Copper Beach at JMU off campus on Friday. Plenty of masks and social distancing.

Kids are gonna be kids. Just told my son, don’t be that kid. Any gatherings over 10 people get you on the naughty list with the Dean.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Moved my son into Copper Beach at JMU off campus on Friday. Plenty of masks and social distancing.

Kids are gonna be kids. Just told my son, don’t be that kid. Any gatherings over 10 people get you on the naughty list with the Dean.
My twin granddaughters are also in Copper Beech. They are seniors and this is their 3rd year at those condos. They are huge VCU fans and were taken to the games as infants, as was their older sister (also a JMU alum) whose picture is my avatar. Twins see many more of our games than the Dukes’😄.

Feb 14, 2011
My twin granddaughters are also in Copper Beech. They are seniors and this is their 3rd year at those condos. They are huge VCU fans and were taken to the games as infants, as was their older sister (also a JMU alum) whose picture is my avatar. Twins see many more of our games than the Dukes’😄.

Both my kids are JMU kids, fans and supporters of the Dukes. As bad as the MBB team has been in the past and painful to watch, they still go to games to show support. They are also huge VCU basketball fans, been taking them since they were pretty young. My oldest son's favorite Ram is BA Walker so somewhere around 04-05

Dec 16, 2013
So I guess Ed will be issuing a new quote (not holding my breath, though)
Recent article in RTD by Wayne Epps ---- , McLaughlin said players and coaches at VCU have done an “excellent job” following COVID-19 protocols as they await the final fate of their seasons.
“I am very proud of the strict adherence to our protocols that they’ve done,” McLaughlin said. “And I am thankful that they’ve taken it so seriously because it gives us a chance to then play once that time comes in the winter.”

all kidding aside - the virus will hit students/faculty and staff if they fail to follow the appropriate guidance/protocols - no one is immune (yet) per the science - Be smart, listen use common sense - as much as our coaches and administrators tell the athletes ( and I am sure Ed and others do) what they need to do to minimize the likelihood of catching and transmitting the virus - SPIT Happens
go Rams and stay well and be smart

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I picked up Hibachi Box for dinner last night and was pleased to see ~80 to 90% of the folk on and around campus wearing masks and (more or less) social distancing. It was also interesting how Grace Street seemed so full of life like it usually does when school's in session since there were probably less than a quarter of the people walking around than there would be normally.