2020-21 Season Outlook

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
Anything is possible, of course, but history tells us that non-P6 teams with

1) zero returning double-digit scorers
2) 9 of 13 underclassmen
3) no rising juniors/seniors that even averaged 5 ppg the year before
4) no expected 1st or 2nd (or possibly even 3rd) team pre-season all conf players
5) no expected pre-season all conf defensive players
6) a coach that has never fielded a KP Top 100 offensive squad

will likely not be successful and not be a dance contender/candidate. Realistically, our win probability is likely around 17.5.

This will almost certainly be a learning, “take your lumps” campaign which hopefully sees us establish a solid foundation/rotation that pays big dividends in 2021-22 and 2022-23.

Fan bases, coaching staffs, even the players themselves are almost always overly optimistic about their own team/teammates. Happens in every sport at every level.

Right now, to give you an idea, Bracketology has but ONE non-P6 at-large in the 2021 field (St Louis - loaded with upperclassmen/experience).......no Wichita St, no Dayton, no Rhody, no St Mary’s, no Cincy, no Davidson, no BYU, no Memphis, no VCU, no Nevada, no UNLV, no Utah St, etc. It’s tough out there in non-P6 land.

The historically/recently weaker P6s are starting to get their act together........Rutgers, Illinois, Arizona St, Ole Miss, Alabama, etc.

Like with Okla St, maybe the FBI/NCAA can help out the non-P6s a little (Kansas, TCU, Louisville, NC State, Arizona, Auburn, etc).
Did UConn move to the Big East this year?

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I suspect mike starts out the season with bones, curry, William, corey in the starting lineup. They all played alot together as part of the second unit this year.

That should help stabilize the chemistry at the beginning

Jul 27, 2017
Quite frankly and honestly, we haven’t had a whole lotta recruiting “hits” lately; and those that were/are, it’s mostly singles and doubles. Few, if any, triples or homers.
I'm not sure what this means. Do you mean relative to their recruiting profile? You don't consider Bones Hyland atleast a triple? I would say he is a home run. Bones will be an all A10 player this year. The offense is going to run through him. Potential wise Ward is atleast a triple, we will see how he develops. Jimmy and Jarren are atleast doubles, we will see if they keep getting better, but they were good freshman and I think could be really good a10 players.

I agree the Junior/Senior class is mostly singles, but I think Vince can certainly play a lot better then he did this past year. Curry has the tools to be a solid rotation piece. Curry seems to be really motivated to get better, that counts for something and I think he will be a lot better this year.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
FWIW Bart Torvik has us at 15-16 overall and 7-11 in conference.

Predictions are what they are and only have meaning if you think they do, but I do have to say that I can see the logic behind all of these people having us where they do.

We were a mediocre team last year, we lost 5 seniors and all but one of our best players, our upperclassmen are fairly uninspiring, and all of our talent is very young. I wouldnt take umbrage at anyone predicting a bad year for us.

Nobody knows the future though.

Reactions: duncanlamb

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Two years ago Mason was picked 2nd I think. Last year Dayton was picked pretty low. Was it 5th or 6th? The preseason track record for picking the A10 has been sketchy. This does not surprise me due to how the team collapsed and lost a bunch of experience. I am hopeful that this team plays hard, plays together and is fun to watch this year.
And I think we were picked about 7th and ended up 1st. The conferene games are after Christmas and after about 8-9 OOC games, our youngsters will hopefully be finding their groove by then. Certainly not 9th.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
FWIW Bart Torvik has us at 15-16 overall and 7-11 in conference.

Predictions are what they are and only have meaning if you think they do, but I do have to say that I can see the logic behind all of these people having us where they do.

We were a mediocre team last year, we lost 5 seniors and all but one of our best players, our upperclassmen are fairly uninspiring, and all of our talent is very young. I wouldnt take umbrage at anyone predicting a bad year for us.

Nobody knows the future though.
I agree with you that we shouldn't be offended or shocked by the predictions as they are based on the massive exit of talent and experience. I just am not raising a white flag on the season and neither are the players. MSS leaving certainly lowered us a few spots.

Reactions: duncanlamb
Jan 15, 2013
The state of VCU basketball is simply unacceptable. Being passed by UConn at Richmond is bad enough, but falling to the level of most A10 programs is disgraceful. I expect better. Rothstein's view will be repeated by numerous media pundits who have been itching to stick it to VCU basketball. Rams everywhere need to readopt the "us against the world" attitude, especially the coaches and the players. THEY ALL NEED TO STEP UP THEIR GAME TO EXPUNGE LAST'S BAD TASTE. Reading the RTD and other media coverage is depressing and moving backwards.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM