2020-21 Season Outlook

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
The area we park in, we've never had an issue finding parking, and returnign to the vehicle, there's VCU PD lining the streets, and a parade of people, we have great, memorable conversations with while walking. The school on Leigh st.
Shhhhhh!!!!
When I first started parking there, I could park on the corner of Harrison and Leigh...... now my spot is back behind the school driveway.
Please don't invite more to the party...... :D

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Since I’ve been mostly absent from here for several months, and I am not on Twitter, can someone clue me in to what is up with Bones, his coach and some of our fans and alums?

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
The season outlook is one of hope and excitement mixed in with the unknown of the impact of Covid ( to be learned in the next few days). No matter whether we can be there in person or not, Ram Fans will be backing this team to the fullest. Last year's perfect storm of way to high expectations, way too many key injuries, way too fragile levels of confidence from the seniors, and the cloud of Covid is over. This is a new team. A VCU TEAM. They are young ( a couple exceptions) and athletic. They are on the same page with each other and the coach and will surprise some teams this year and at the same time will face growing and learning pains that like most young teams they cannot anticipate. That said, if we have no or extremely limited fans there will not be fans there to lift them and that adds to the challenge. There will be no Peppa's blasting energy and reminding opponenets that "You Don't Want to Go to War", there will be no cheerleaders or Gold Rush Dancers raising the energy and the spirits of the environment. Still, players play and once the ball is in the air they are playing to win just like on the black top or summer league. As fans, we need to remember that if we aren't there in person to show our support we must do so in other ways. One key way is not to be negative on public forum as your negativity cannot be drowned out for 7,700 fans on game day.
I think folks will like this young team and will like the step forward from those returning players and the special talents of our new Rams. Continue to stay healthy, continue to make good decisions of gatherings, continue to wear masks and take precautions , BUT continue to live and enjoy all the great things we can do. The parks are open, so many restaurants are open with outdoor seating or very spaced indoor, wineries have drastically reduced the cost of wine ordered directly due to overstock caused by restaurant and tasting shut downs, ... see life is pretty good. That's my season outlook.

(by the way, I am not a fan of the extra season and feel it is a short-sighted decision that will have negative effects on the next few seasons in addition to challenging already endangered college finances.)

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Mike's top priority this year should be "playing time/experience" for the promising eight frosh/sophs. They need minutes, touches, shots, confidence, experience. They are the future of this program and their rapid development is critical.

Richmond, St Louis, Davidson, GMU, Dayton, Rhody will have key seniors leading them this year (and then clearing out) - Golden, Gilyard, Sherod, Francis, Grady, French, Godwin, Russell, Wilson, Crutcher, Chatman, etc. Our "A-10 title/NCAA window" re-opens the next two years (2021-22 and 2022-23 when Bones, Tre, Mac, and Hason are Jr/Srs). If we've learned anything from the names above, it's how early PT (i.e. significant starter or rotational role) in one's career can accelerate growth/development. Look at St Bonny w/ Lofton, Welch, Osunniyi, etc. All started as frosh........and will pay big dividends now and next yr. Same is true for the UR guys, for Fatts, for Crutcher, for the Billiken guys, for Grady, for GMU, etc.

Mike needs to roll with (i.e. start and play) the underclassmen, take our lumps, and fortify as needed w/ the upperclassmen (who should be role players). A bench that includes Curry, Williams, Douglas, and Stockard isn't a bad thing (Shuler came off the bench as a junior). We are not dancing this year (we are rebuilding) and Mike should not invest heavy minutes in the upperclassmen at the expense of our "core nine" underclassmen (including BMB, who is not eligible). Starting a group of underclassmen who could potentially play together for 3 years might pay big dividends (like Duncan/Lamb/Schlegel/Brown).

If all goes well and the underclassmen develop some chemistry and confidence, we could/should be in the title hunt next yr along w/ St Bonny, Rhody, and UMass (if Mitchell stays).

If the following "player comps" can materialize during their careers (to some degree), we'll be back to our contending ways (but this only happens if the young kids actually play and experience the highs/lows now). These eight kids need to be a priority.

So Ward - Sanders
So McAllister - Pellot-Rosa
So Hyland - Maynor/Melvin
So Clark - Weber/Theus
Fr Baldwin - JQ
Fr Banks - Shuler
Fr Watkins - Graham/B. Burgess
Fr MBJ - Reddic

If the upperclassmen can just give us comparable contributions, we'll be competitive.
Jr Curry - Brandenberg
Jr Williams - M. Doles
Sr Stockard - D. Reid
Sr Douglas - J. Guest

Note:
BA Walker and JPR started as frosh on our 2004 NCAA team
Brad Burgess started as a frosh on our 2009 NCAA team
Larry Sanders started as a soph on our 2009 NCAA team
Eric Maynor started as a soph on our 2007 NCAA team
Michael Brown started as a frosh/soph on 1980's NCAA teams
Duncan/Lamb/Schlegel started as sophs on our 1983 NCAA team
Treveon Graham started as a soph on our 2013 NCAA team
Juvonte Reddic started as a soph on our 2012 NCAA team

vcumad

Top Member
Insider
Jan 19, 2010
Mike's top priority this year should be "playing time/experience" for the promising eight frosh/sophs. They need minutes, touches, shots, confidence, experience. They are the future of this program and their rapid development is critical.

Richmond, St Louis, Davidson, GMU, Dayton, Rhody will have key seniors leading them this year (and then clearing out) - Golden, Gilyard, Sherod, Francis, Grady, French, Godwin, Russell, Wilson, Crutcher, Chatman, etc. Our "A-10 title/NCAA window" re-opens the next two years (2021-22 and 2022-23 when Bones, Tre, Mac, and Hason are Jr/Srs). If we've learned anything from the names above, it's how early PT (i.e. significant starter or rotational role) in one's career can accelerate growth/development. Look at St Bonny w/ Lofton, Welch, Osunniyi, etc. All started as frosh........and will pay big dividends now and next yr. Same is true for the UR guys, for Fatts, for Crutcher, for the Billiken guys, for Grady, for GMU, etc.

Mike needs to roll with (i.e. start and play) the underclassmen, take our lumps, and fortify as needed w/ the upperclassmen (who should be role players). A bench that includes Curry, Williams, Douglas, and Stockard isn't a bad thing (Shuler came off the bench as a junior). We are not dancing this year (we are rebuilding) and Mike should not invest heavy minutes in the upperclassmen at the expense of our "core nine" underclassmen (including BMB, who is not eligible). Starting a group of underclassmen who could potentially play together for 3 years might pay big dividends (like Duncan/Lamb/Schlegel/Brown).

If all goes well and the underclassmen develop some chemistry and confidence, we could/should be in the title hunt next yr along w/ St Bonny, Rhody, and UMass (if Mitchell stays).

If the following "player comps" can materialize during their careers (to some degree), we'll be back to our contending ways (but this only happens if the young kids actually play and experience the highs/lows now). These eight kids need to be a priority.

So Ward - Sanders
So Clark - Weber/Theus
Fr Baldwin - JQ
Fr Banks - Shuler
Fr MBJ - Reddic

If the upperclassmen can just give us comparable contributions, we'll be competitive.
Jr Curry - Brandenberg
Jr Williams - M. Doles
Sr Stockard - D. Reid
Sr Douglas - J. Guest

Note:
Eric Maynor started as a soph on our 2007 NCAA team
I can imagine the delight on Mike's face as he realized you passed on the Clipper's job to come back and help a young, wet behind the ears coach navigate the upcoming season. The subtle "bread crumbs" strategically placed in your post to help him find his way is sheer genius. Your generosity is very humbling.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009

So Ward - Sanders
So Clark - Weber/Theus
Fr Baldwin - JQ
Fr Banks - Shuler
Fr MBJ - Reddic

Jr Curry - Brandenberg
Jr Williams - M. Doles
Sr Stockard - D. Reid
Sr Douglas - J. Guest

Note:
Eric Maynor started as a soph on our 2007 NCAA teamd
Just remember that all of the older loaded teams could be even older and loaded next year due to the one year rule.