2020-21 Season Outlook

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
This entire season will be a waste. There will be tons of ambiguity as to NCAA tournament selection. Home court advantages for the most part will be marginalized (no fans). With so many people getting sick/ dying to accompany all the financial strife this is causing (evictions, unemployment, health costs, even food...) I could care less if we win or even play a single game.
I am far more concerned how college sports and our communities look the next year(s) than MBB this season.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
I'm starting to think the everyone-in NCAA tournament is the best way to handle it this season. It's not out of the question that many if not most schools will play no or very few OOC games. Plus who knows if the conference schedules or tournaments will be untouched? Trying to divine 64, or 68, or whatever number of teams that should make it will be at best a Herculean task and at worst a fool's folly. Just open it up to everyone and treat the regular season as a preseason with a moving-target for the number of games played.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I'm starting to think the everyone-in NCAA tournament is the best way to handle it this season. It's not out of the question that many if not most schools will play no or very few OOC games. Plus who knows if the conference schedules or tournaments will be untouched? Trying to divine 64, or 68, or whatever number of teams that should make it will be at best a Herculean task and at worst a fool's folly. Just open it up to everyone and treat the regular season as a preseason with a moving-target for the number of games played.
Oh, I’m sure VCU and others will cobble something together but like you indicated it is a mess. In my opinion, the NCAA should use this season to create expanded playoffs in football and expanded fields in basketball because the regular seasons are a crap shoot. Heck, in football Florida and others came to a crashing halt. Unbelievable that there has not been any uniform planning instead of the you handle it mentality of the NCAA.

Reactions: Ramcounter

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I have no idea how the NCAA will deal with OOC when/if selection Sunday rolls around. Some programs might end up just going with a conference schedule. Some already have said as much.
I mentioned this back in August but I think expanding the tournament needs to be looked at. Another thing I wonder is what happens if a positive test for a player occurs in the short time frame between when the conference tournaments end and the NCAA tournament starts?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I mentioned this back in August but I think expanding the tournament needs to be looked at. Another thing I wonder is what happens if a positive test for a player occurs in the short time frame between when the conference tournaments end and the NCAA tournament starts?
Who knows? The A10 has not released a set of protocols. The Orlando tournament had a protocol that would cause the entire team to quarantine for 14 days I think. It appears that the strict protocols caused the bubble to unravel. Unless teams are on the same page this is going to be a big mess and teams will most likely not have the same protocols from conference to conference. I could be wrong but I feel like this is almost a handle it on your own type thing since the NCAA seems to be MIA.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

If anything, you are going to see a smaller NCAA Tournament, if one at all. Way too many variables right now for an incompetent NCAA to pull off an expanded tournament. The first two weeks of the upcoming season are going to tell us a lot regarding how the remaining portion of the season plays out.

And for the record, I do not understand how playing conference games only is safer than playing a mixed schedule which includes OOC games. Playing UMass is no safer than playing a UVA or Tennessee. Yes, conferences can have different COVID-19 protocols, but they still need to meet a minimum standard. Both college football conferences and the NFL have had to reschedule games, and both have been working off standard protocols for their respective entities.

Regarding watching basketball games in person, it's NOT going to happen. The games are played indoors as opposed to football being played outdoors. If Virginia's governor will only allow 1,000 fans to attend college football games, there is no way he is going to allow 1,000 or fewer fans in indoor arenas that are 4-5 times smaller than outdoor football stadiums.

PuddinDaStunna

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
The rules already allow for 1,000 fans indoors. It could be changed to either reduce or expand that number. It's very arbitrary in that JMU basketball or Va Tech football, or VCU baseball all have the same # of fans allowed regardless of capacity,indoor/outdoor. #science

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM