2020-21 Season Outlook

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
We are picked in the bottom 3rd of this crappy conference after finishing in the bottom 3rd of this crappy conference last year.....might want to work on our own issue...not sure we can blame the conference for our issues

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Did they have the CAA in their predictions? As far as multiple bid opportunities go, the A10 is the best conference VCU has ever been a member of.

That's because the NCAA has expanded the number of participants in the tournament. I would definitely put the Sun Belt and the Metro in the same conversation with the A-10 as far as best conferences VCU has ever been in. Conference USA raided the Metro for a reason, as did the Metro raiding the Sun Belt along with the Great Midwest bringing on UAB.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
That's because the NCAA has expanded the number of participants in the tournament. I would definitely put the Sun Belt and the Metro in the same conversation with the A-10 as far as best conferences VCU has ever been in. Conference USA raided the Metro for a reason, as did the Metro raiding the Sun Belt along with the Great Midwest bringing on UAB.
I was around for those and I never said they were not great conferences.

Reactions: vcumad

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I was around for those and I never said they were not great conferences.

You did say the A-10 was the best conference VCU has ever been in and I think the jury is still out on that assumption. Clearly, the Metro may have been the best conference VCU has ever been in, and the Sun Belt could have held its own against the current A-10.

Reactions: RamDanFan

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
You did say the A-10 was the best conference VCU has ever been in and I think the jury is still out on that assumption. Clearly, the Metro may have been the best conference VCU has ever been in, and the Sun Belt could have held its own against the current A-10.
I said, as far as multiple bid opportunities go, the A10 is the best conference VCU has ever been a member of.

Reactions: vcumad
Dec 16, 2013
I am one of those Ram fans of 40+ years - my take on conferences is that our first year in the A10 (2012) was the strongest conference we have been in . soon after our joining Temple, Butler, Xavier and UNC Charlotte bolted - A10 now if your take the top 7 teams is on par with the Metro , but the A10 has a few programs that should be relegated (to use a Premier league analogy) to lesser leagues like Fordham and ............
metro conference had the best team Louisville of any conference we were ever in
CAA had a few years when the conference really rocked on a national scale (probably top 6 or 7 conference) But the CAA bottom feeder teams remind me a lot of the A10 at the bottom
Sunbelt was probably the one I liked the least though some good teams like UAB with Bartow and a South Alabama , ODU , south Florida, Western Ky , Jacksonville and Ga State
A10 is great for VCU now but my Christmas wish would be for us to jettison the bottom 2 teams and become a 12 team conference

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I am one of those Ram fans of 40+ years - my take on conferences is that our first year in the A10 (2012) was the strongest conference we have been in . soon after our joining Temple, Butler, Xavier and UNC Charlotte bolted - A10 now if your take the top 7 teams is on par with the Metro , but the A10 has a few programs that should be relegated (to use a Premier league analogy) to lesser leagues like Fordham and ............
metro conference had the best team Louisville of any conference we were ever in
CAA had a few years when the conference really rocked on a national scale (probably top 6 or 7 conference) But the CAA bottom feeder teams remind me a lot of the A10 at the bottom
Sunbelt was probably the one I liked the least though some good teams like UAB with Bartow and a South Alabama , ODU , south Florida, Western Ky , Jacksonville and Ga State
A10 is great for VCU now but my Christmas wish would be for us to jettison the bottom 2 teams and become a 12 team conference

Actually, the best team in the Metro while VCU was a member was probably Tulane, coached by Perry Clark. Yes, historically Louisville is/was the best team VCU was ever in a conference with, but those Perry Clark Tulane teams were brutal. No other conference team in the history of VCU basketball has "owned" VCU like Tulane did. Tulane is 11-3 against VCU. At one point, VCU was 1-11 against Tulane, and a lot of those losses weren't even close games.

Last edited: