2020-21 Season Outlook

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So, the fodu game is on, based on the schedule, to be played 12/12 @ 5:00PM at the Stu and be televised by NBCSN. fmason is also playing JMU at the Stu that same day, and then fodu at the Stu 12/13. My guess is VCU will play JMU at the Stu 12/13 as part of two day doubleheaders.

The OOC schedule is starting to look like this:

11/26 - Charlotte (@Tennessee)
11/27 - @Tennessee
12/5 - Mount St. Mary's
12/12 - ODU
12/13 - JMU
@Penn State
12/18 - Louisiana
12/22 - @LSU

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I listened to this yesterday. I guess they were reasonably fair, given that no one outside the team knows how well the team is doing in practice or who is stepping up. They were a little rough on Bones, saying he doesn't take the ball to the basket. The kid was a freshman last year, and a phenomenal one at that. I'm quite sure he's been working on his ability to go to the basket since the season ended.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I listened to this yesterday. I guess they were reasonably fair, given that no one outside the team knows how well the team is doing in practice or who is stepping up. They were a little rough on Bones, saying he doesn't take the ball to the basket. The kid was a freshman last year, and a phenomenal one at that. I'm quite sure he's been working on his ability to go to the basket since the season ended.
I disagree with their assessment. Bones showed that he can get to the basket. Here is one example.
There are plenty of highlights of him hitting runners, lay ups or drawing defenders only to find an open teammate.
Ah, let's look at a couple more. Might as well :lol:

Nov 4, 2011
With the season two weeks out what are y'all thinking as the opening day starting 5? Typically we would have had the exhibition game a few weeks ago so we would have had a peek at starters/rotations. It being such an underclass dominant team makes it a real crap shoot. Here's what I think:

1) Ace
2) Bones
3) Vince
4) Corey
5) Stockard

I think a relatively quick pull for Ace with Curry likely the first off the bench. Our biggest worry, in my opinion, will be our 3 point shooting. Bones is pretty much the only proven shooter, well over 30%, which is typically my cut line for who's a relevant shooter or not. Defenses will be key on him all game. All the guys on the bench: Tre, Curry, Jarren, etc. are low 20%, not good. We will need some scoring from the freshman, particularly the perimeter. Hopefully Josh, MBJ, and even Jamir, can be a threat from deep, and hopefully everyone else has been working all off season on their shooting.

Another quick note, I'm pretty comfortable with Ace as a day 1 freshman starter. He's a floor general and if he can take care of the ball bringing it up the floor, focus on getting us in our sets, penetrate and kick, and play tough D, he will be adequate. I think he can do that no problem. We have to take as much pressure off of Bones. Think Johnny Williams and Jequan playing together, he doesn't really need to score.

Lastly, I think our D returns to the way it was 18-19. Good length around the basket and good chemistry/buy-in, and young guys who are hungry to make a statement, I feel better about our collective team D over last year--a lot.

It'll be an interesting season, ugly at times, but I really do think we're being slept on.

Dec 16, 2013
With the season two weeks out what are y'all thinking as the opening day starting 5? Typically we would have had the exhibition game a few weeks ago so we would have had a peek at starters/rotations. It being such an underclass dominant team makes it a real crap shoot. Here's what I think:

1) Ace
2) Bones
3) Vince
4) Corey
5) Stockard

I think a relatively quick pull for Ace with Curry likely the first off the bench. Our biggest worry, in my opinion, will be our 3 point shooting. Bones is pretty much the only proven shooter, well over 30%, which is typically my cut line for who's a relevant shooter or not. Defenses will be key on him all game. All the guys on the bench: Tre, Curry, Jarren, etc. are low 20%, not good. We will need some scoring from the freshman, particularly the perimeter. Hopefully Josh, MBJ, and even Jamir, can be a threat from deep, and hopefully everyone else has been working all off season on their shooting.

Another quick note, I'm pretty comfortable with Ace as a day 1 freshman starter. He's a floor general and if he can take care of the ball bringing it up the floor, focus on getting us in our sets, penetrate and kick, and play tough D, he will be adequate. I think he can do that no problem. We have to take as much pressure off of Bones. Think Johnny Williams and Jequan playing together, he doesn't really need to score.

Lastly, I think our D returns to the way it was 18-19. Good length around the basket and good chemistry/buy-in, and young guys who are hungry to make a statement, I feel better about our collective team D over last year--a lot.

It'll be an interesting season, ugly at times, but I really do think we're being slept on.

my take is MR will go with a much smaller and quicker team that fits his defensive approach - (i.e no two bigs consistently on the court for long stretches) as well as the perimeter offensive approach MR has primarily shown that requires 3 guys that can be interchangeable on the perimeter and comfortable with the ball
if Vince starts it will be at the 4 (hope he stays healthy for a full season)
the team above would be lucky to score 55 points a game against good competition because it lacks offensive firepower
remember Bones will also have the defensive bullseye on him from every team in the first month - will not get the open looks from deep he got last year and will have to work far more than last year for his points (I for one think he has the talent to rise to the next level but time will tell)
with the bigs on the roster I would not be surprised to see 3 of them getting about equal time 15 minutes a game. though I readily admit I have no idea how far Bacon-Medley has progressed since transferring to a higher level of competition and my gut says he sees limited action
I too think this will be a fun team to watch grow this season and hope we see the talented freshmen and sophomores on the court early and often
My final pet peeve is let Bones play 33-35 minutes a game - he can handle it if not in foul trouble - this 26-29 minutes a game for the stars is utterly ridiculous in my humble opinion
this team will need to rely upon its athleticism to create points
go rams

Reactions: Valley drop step
Nov 4, 2011
my take is MR will go with a much smaller and quicker team that fits his defensive approach - (i.e no two bigs consistently on the court for long stretches) as well as the perimeter offensive approach MR has primarily shown that requires 3 guys that can be interchangeable on the perimeter and comfortable with the ball
if Vince starts it will be at the 4 (hope he stays healthy for a full season)
the team above would be lucky to score 55 points a game against good competition because it lacks offensive firepower
remember Bones will also have the defensive bullseye on him from every team in the first month - will not get the open looks from deep he got last year and will have to work far more than last year for his points (I for one think he has the talent to rise to the next level but time will tell)
with the bigs on the roster I would not be surprised to see 3 of them getting about equal time 15 minutes a game. though I readily admit I have no idea how far Bacon-Medley has progressed since transferring to a higher level of competition and my gut says he sees limited action
I too think this will be a fun team to watch grow this season and hope we see the talented freshmen and sophomores on the court early and often
My final pet peeve is let Bones play 33-35 minutes a game - he can handle it if not in foul trouble - this 26-29 minutes a game for the stars is utterly ridiculous in my humble opinion
this team will need to rely upon its athleticism to create points
go rams
Bones will certainly have his work cut out for him and I agree on his usage. I do somewhat disagree on the two bigs, and your worry about our offense is certainly warranted. I just don't think in the past we ever really had a true option, due to depth, to run two bigs. Corey is pretty mobile, especially on the defensive end, so I see Rhoades finally taking advantage of that. If you look at the 18-19 season, he started Mobley at 4. Mobley did have a unique skill set with his passing ability, but I think Rhoades will want to impose size that we finally have. Just think the roster construction allows for it with our depth plugging in some combo of Big Has/MBJ/Jamir (small ball 4)/BMB etc.

Dec 16, 2013
Bones will certainly have his work cut out for him and I agree on his usage. I do somewhat disagree on the two bigs, and your worry about our offense is certainly warranted. I just don't think in the past we ever really had a true option, due to depth, to run two bigs. Corey is pretty mobile, especially on the defensive end, so I see Rhoades finally taking advantage of that. If you look at the 18-19 season, he started Mobley at 4. Mobley did have a unique skill set with his passing ability, but I think Rhoades will want to impose size that we finally have. Just think the roster construction allows for it with our depth plugging in some combo of Big Has/MBJ/Jamir (small ball 4)/BMB etc.
First, good and thoughtful discussion:

During the 18-19 ultra successful season, Mobley played 19mpg, averaged 4 points a game, 2.5 reb a game, a little over 1 assist a game (though I agree he looked to pass better than others) shot 30% from 3, 56% from the ft line, 40% from the field and could not effectively guard a physical big -
I liked Sean but to me his contributions were more like a filler that complemented others than an offensive threat or a defensive stopper
when I think of two bigs on the court I think of a team that can be physical and dominate the boards ( I expect a big to have 7+ rebounds a game on avg., get at least one offensive stickback a game on avg, and would shoot around 50+ percent from the field because he can use his size and body around the basket )
I do acknowledge that MR's offensive approach had Sean on the perimeter a lot or setting high picks , so hard to get those Offensive Rebounds and stickback opportunities
You are right that we have more pieces than ever that resemble traditional bigs and I am curious to see how MR uses them
I think (okay hope) that ACE will be out there for 25 minutes and looking inside to the bigs or that ACE and Bones penetrate and look to dish to the bigs in the paint area if they don't have clear paths to the rim
I am a moneyball advocate (analytics) and believe you create your offense around shooting open 3s ( success is 35%) and high percentage 2s (those in that 8 foot area around the rim were success is 60-70%) From an analytics standpoint you should limit those 2 point fg attempts from 12 feet out to the 3 line - those have the least value analytically
I like the direction we are going in recruiting more long and athletic recruits (nba as an example is moving more and more to positionless players that can play differing roles like bigs that can play outside or inside like AD or all those european bigs)
now I do recognize that you need players that can make the open 3 (which is something we have not done well over the last few years)
I think this year will be quite interesting with all the new players and the traditional size we have not seen for awhile - not having that black and gold game and the open scrimmage/exhibition has my interest at an even higher level and my expectations guessing a lot
Go Rams

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
And like Mobley, all our current bigs are good passers. We'll see a lot of two-big lineups and highlight passes.

We're about to win 23+ games. You heard it here, first.