2020-21 Season Outlook

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
I’m very very curious to see how roles get played out this year. Guys like Tre, Curry, and JMac definitely have a place on this team to impactful. Short bursts of intense mins. The majority of mins should be handled by bones, ace, and Watkins with those 3 rotating in. Wonder what Banks role will be too.

Reactions: cabell

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Honestly, I'm fine with going 10-11 deep... IF we have the guys for it. I think we're recruiting in that direction, but we're still a year or two off.

Reactions: Love2Ram
Mar 1, 2015
The consensus seems to be Baldwin should start at PG. It may work but I can’t see how that is the expectation going in.

1. He’s never played.

2. Hyland energized the team when he was in. Pushed the pace, made some passes to set guys up, scored, and looked great as the line bright spot in a dismal season. Why the rush to move him?

3. Does Baldwin address this teams biggest weakness—people who can score? Most lineups I can think of have multiple guys who haven’t proven to be offensive players, or they have proven that they are not. Can Baldwin shoot the ball? I don’t know much of anything about him. I think he averaged 11 PPG in high school, which would not lead me to believe he is going to be a big scoring threat as a freshman. I don’t how a ball distributor really helps that much if there are bunch of guys who struggle to score.

It may work out well, but I can’t see thinking it is absolutely the way to go. Hyland playing PG is the most known and promising thing we have coming into the season.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
The consensus seems to be Baldwin should start at PG. It may work but I can’t see how that is the expectation going in.

1. He’s never played.

2. Hyland energized the team when he was in. Pushed the pace, made some passes to set guys up, scored, and looked great as the line bright spot in a dismal season. Why the rush to move him?

3. Does Baldwin address this teams biggest weakness—people who can score? Most lineups I can think of have multiple guys who haven’t proven to be offensive players, or they have proven that they are not. Can Baldwin shoot the ball? I don’t know much of anything about him. I think he averaged 11 PPG in high school, which would not lead me to believe he is going to be a big scoring threat as a freshman. I don’t how a ball distributor really helps that much if there are bunch of guys who struggle to score.

It may work out well, but I can’t see thinking it is absolutely the way to go. Hyland playing PG is the most known and promising thing we have coming into the season.
Honestly i kinda think we have to have bones on the wing if we want to have any scoring from that position.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Hyland is our best shooter. Playing an effective 2 PG lineup will give Bones more opportunities to find his shot
Not if his PG backcourt team mate can’t shoot from outside. Defense will swarm Bones daring the PG to shoot. I’m not saying Ace can’t shoot. Don’t know enough about him to know. Never saw a scoresheet from his high school games to know.

Mar 1, 2015
I don’t think having someone else running the offense necessary frees up Hyland. Having other player(s) who the defense has to worry about will. Right now, who the second and third options are is totally unknown. If your PG is your best scorer, fine. But Hyland will need help. With the line ups Some people are mentioning, Hyland may be looking at some doubles and spies, maybe a box and one.

Reactions: RESRam
Nov 4, 2011
I don’t think having someone else running the offense necessary frees up Hyland. Having other player(s) who the defense has to worry about will. Right now, who the second and third options are is totally unknown. If your PG is your best scorer, fine. But Hyland will need help. With the line ups Some people are mentioning, Hyland may be looking at some doubles and spies, maybe a box and one.
When you're an elite scorer, or the a team's best offensive weapon, the name of the game is separation. Playing on the ball, outside of pick and roll/pop, creating space is difficult. Creating space off the dribble can be done, but again, difficult. Running through screens, being able to cut at your tempo, etc. allows for much easier ways to get you the ball in "your spots." Ace carrying this burden helps immensely when it comes to orchestrating the offensive sets. On top of that he can strap up.

Now when it comes to teams doubling Bones if he's effective, that's when the 2nd, 3rd, 4th scoring options need to step up. Hopefully the supporting cast rises to the occasion offensively, but we shall see.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
If Ace can distribute to the bigs for high percentage shots the inside out game starts to work. MSS couldn’t shoot a lick so Douglas and the transfers have a low bar as far as expectations

Reactions: Newboy

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I just hope we have someone in the post who can create their own shot otherwise it is going to be a very long season with a whole lot of long ball play. Last season we could pass to MSS and he would get the pass, be able to move around, get past his man and get it in the bucket. Hopefully, Bacon, Ward, Levi and Corey all worked hard to destroy each other over the summer as the post ball handler tried to get it in the basket. Ally oops are nice and fanciful but we need a banger down low who can put it in the hole....or is not afraid to throw it back out or pass it off if necessary.
We need a long ball shooter, a to the rim slasher and a put it in the bucket post player to be a really effective team. Lose any one of those three and we will be SOL....don't argue with me....history has shown this to be true, dangit!

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
To what I'm sure will be to the consternation of at least a few here, I'm expecting more of a press and run scheme this year. As such, I think fast break points will be a larger bulk of our scoring over the last two years.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I don’t think Ace will be an offensive liability. Obviously teams will make Bones the focus but I don’t see leaving Ace as a long term viable option. Also, Bones stated in an earlier interview that he and Hanson can get in pick-n-roll that’s virtually unstoppable. We need Bones at the two a lot more than we need him at the 1

Ace stats per 247Sports
2017-18
TOTAL
GPPtsRebAstStlFG%3PT%FT%
43 13.8 4.7 6.5 3.2 40.0 35.0 76.0

Mar 1, 2015
Not if his PG backcourt team mate can’t shoot from outside. Defense will swarm Bones daring the PG to shoot. I’m not saying Ace can’t shoot. Don’t know enough about him to know. Never saw a scoresheet from his high school games to know.
From what I just read, Baldwin was was a four year starter and averaged 13 a game. 33 percent from 3 on 611 attempts and 40% from the field and 76% from the line. Don’t know if #s improved over time. But at some point in his career, it seems like he should be a decent offensive player. If that’s this year, great. I guess we will see soon.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/...eeT-Oz0u-e-FA/basketball/stats.htm#year=19-20

Reactions: TampaKAP