2020-21 Season Outlook

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
The consensus seems to be Baldwin should start at PG. It may work but I can’t see how that is the expectation going in.

1. He’s never played.

2. Hyland energized the team when he was in. Pushed the pace, made some passes to set guys up, scored, and looked great as the line bright spot in a dismal season. Why the rush to move him?

3. Does Baldwin address this teams biggest weakness—people who can score? Most lineups I can think of have multiple guys who haven’t proven to be offensive players, or they have proven that they are not. Can Baldwin shoot the ball? I don’t know much of anything about him. I think he averaged 11 PPG in high school, which would not lead me to believe he is going to be a big scoring threat as a freshman. I don’t how a ball distributor really helps that much if there are bunch of guys who struggle to score.

It may work out well, but I can’t see thinking it is absolutely the way to go. Hyland playing PG is the most known and promising thing we have coming into the season.
Watch these full games (especially the last few minutes of the Poly game) and you'll understand why Ace will be a day 1 starter. And that doesn't count his development and bulk he's already added.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaKAP

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Might be because they lost 8 of ten and look awful doing it.

I think the blame for last year's collapse clearly fell on the seniors. Not sure any of them would start on this year's team, with the exception of a healthy Marcus Evans, and that's questionable. It's now 100% Coach Rhoades' team, and I am so, so hoping teaming chemistry is back. Time will tell. If not, it's definitely on the coaching staff, which I hope it's not.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Not if his PG backcourt team mate can’t shoot from outside. Defense will swarm Bones daring the PG to shoot. I’m not saying Ace can’t shoot. Don’t know enough about him to know. Never saw a scoresheet from his high school games to know.
Ace can shoot! That's not really a question.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
From what I just read, Baldwin was was a four year starter and averaged 13 a game. 33 percent from 3 on 611 attempts and 40% from the field and 76% from the line. Don’t know if #s improved over time. But at some point in his career, it seems like he should be a decent offensive player. If that’s this year, great. I guess we will see soon.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/...eeT-Oz0u-e-FA/basketball/stats.htm#year=19-20
He was a 4 year starter on a team that so far has 3 guys signing LOI's with division I teams and some underclassmen who will certainly follow. One signed with U. of Maryland, the other with South Alabama (a 6'6" power forward, at 6'8" he would be going P5, he's really good). That is to say Ace didn't have to be THE guy. He got his team mates involved, but when needed he took over the game, St. Frances fans would say, "It's Ace time!" Watch the Oak Hill game. He played against Cam Thomas, 5* kid originally at my home high school. Ace was the best player on the floor, it wasn't even close.

Mar 26, 2011
CBS:

Six teams who made the last NCAA Tournament, but won't make it back in 2021​

VCU Rams

2019 seed: No. 8

The 2018-19 Rams won the Atlantic 10 regular season crowd with an impressive 16-2 league record but actually qualified for the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after losing in the conference tournament. The Atlantic 10 seems to have gotten significantly deeper over the last couple of seasons, though, and VCU regressed to the pack while dealing with injuries last season. Now the roster is in a state of transition. Barring a run through the league tournament, the Rams are unlikely to be back in the Big Dance this season as an at-large bid seems out of reach with such a young team.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Still planning on 68 teams with all games being played in Indianapolis at various sites.
I have to wonder what happens contact tracing wise if someone tests positive in the conference tournaments given the short turnaround to the NCAA tournament.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
CBS:

Six teams who made the last NCAA Tournament, but won't make it back in 2021​

VCU Rams

2019 seed: No. 8

The 2018-19 Rams won the Atlantic 10 regular season crowd with an impressive 16-2 league record but actually qualified for the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after losing in the conference tournament. The Atlantic 10 seems to have gotten significantly deeper over the last couple of seasons, though, and VCU regressed to the pack while dealing with injuries last season. Now the roster is in a state of transition. Barring a run through the league tournament, the Rams are unlikely to be back in the Big Dance this season as an at-large bid seems out of reach with such a young team.
This year just keeps on giving.