2020-21 Season Outlook

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
A quick look back at last season in A-10 play...

Minutes averaged (PER team rank) [full season box +/- team rank]: Note: I excluded Arnold because he played a total of 7 minutes
28.8 - Santos-Silva (2nd) [3rd]
27.5 - Jenkins (4th) [1st]
24.2 - Vann (7th) [9th]
24.1 - Hyland (5th) [2nd]
23.1 - Evans (8th) [8th]
23 - Simms (11th) [7th]
16.9 - Williams (10th) [10th]
15.4 - Curry (9th) [12th]
15.4 - Crowfield (13th) [11th]
11.1 - Douglas (6th) [6th]

The long and short of last season is coach basically went down with the ship, sticking with experienced players who not only weren't producing, but were STATISTICALLY really hurting our ability to win in a competitive A-10.

In theory one of the disadvantages we have this season is we aren't experienced, BUT, I would argue that last year that level of experience tied Coach Rhoades' hands, because let's be honest...he played it too conservative and would not make the needed changes. I literally asked him about that very problem WHILE it was happening and he said he was sticking with his guys. I think I recall him saying he had to have their backs, which is an honorable/noble approach, but proved to not be the smart approach. That means this year, with so many young pieces, we have a chance to ignore the experience and roll with the numbers. I do however worry that there is one player in particular that might sting us in the exact same way we got stung last season (experience over production).

Jarren + Hason notes:
Per 40 minutes in conference last season
Jarren 16.2 points, 5.9 rebounds on 63.7% A-10 true shooting percentage
Hason 17 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.5 blocks on 65.7% A-10 true shooting percentage

Those guys both averaged just about 8 minutes each in conference. Hason makes sense because he was behind Santos-Silva, who was both experienced and efficient, Jarren however was benched behind Kel (23 mpg for Kel in A-10 play, 7.8 for Jarren), which I think we paid a price for.

This year's experience (last year's PER)

R-Sr. - Corey Douglas (17.7)
Sr. - Levi Stockard (8.7)
Jr. - Vince Williams (11.2)
Jr. - KeyShawn Curry (11.4)
Jr. - Bendan Medley-Bacon (14.6)
So. - Bones Hyland (18)
So. - Jarren McAllister (19.4)
So. - Hason Ward (23.1)
So. - Tre Clark (10.7)
So. - Arnold Henderson (16.7)
Fr. - Jamir Watkins
Fr. - Josh Banks
Fr. - Mikeal Brown-Jones
Fr. - Ace Baldwin

I'm very curious to see what we do with the rotation because even though I do know people can make a jump from year to year (think MSS from frosh to soph year...a similar jump to one I think Tre could possibly make this season), I think there are opportunities to make the exact same mistake we made this year once again. I hope that is not the case though.

Natty - good summary/info. Mike has another “playing time” conundrum on his hands. He has a young squad — in a rebuilding year (whether he, the staff, the players, the fans want to admit it or not). He now has 13 scholarship players suiting up each game to keep happy with PT (no redshirts, etc).........a nearly impossible task to keep them all content/engaged, especially if we start losing. When you lose, every kid (and their parents/friends) thinks they should be playing more. If Mike tries to play all 13, he also limits cohesion, development, efficiency, etc. He has some tough decisions coming up. An ideal rotation, even with our pressing style, is no more than 8-9 kids. Players need minutes, touches, shots, etc to develop a rhythm, flow, cohesion, confidence.

What Mike “should do” (play the kids) vs what he probably “will do” (play the vets) will likely cause some internal team angst/frustration eventually because the upperclassmen (collectively) just aren’t that good.

Mike needs to turn this team/season over to the underclassmen and use the upperclassmen to fortify and supplement where/when needed. Managing player (and parent) expectations (regarding minutes, touches, shots, points, role) is going to be a real challenge now and going forward (with the new transfer rule).

This year, unfortunately, is really more about preparing for next year.

Last edited:

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Natty - good summary/info. Mike has another “playing time” conundrum on his hands. He has a young squad — in a rebuilding year (whether he, the staff, the players, the fans want to admit it or not). He now has 13 scholarship players suiting up each game to keep happy with PT (no redshirts, etc).........a nearly impossible task to keep them all content/engaged, especially if we start losing. When you lose, every kid (and their parents/friends) thinks they should be playing more. If Mike tries to play all 13, he also limits cohesion, development, efficiency, etc. He has some tough decisions coming up. An ideal rotation, even with our pressing style, is no more than 8-9 kids. Players need minutes, touches, shots, etc to develop a rhythm, flow, cohesion, confidence.

What Mike “should do” (play the kids) vs what he probably “will do” (play the vets) will likely cause some internal team angst/frustration eventually because the upperclassmen (collectively) just aren’t that good.

Mike needs to turn this team/season over to the underclassmen and use the upperclassmen to fortify and supplement where/when needed. Managing player (and parent) expectations (regarding minutes, touches, shots, points, role) is going to be a real challenge now and going forward (with the new transfer rule).

some of these are valid points, but you delude yourself because you're always finding the negative and it almost appears to be in bad faith.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, two minutes into this discussion with Mike Rhoades and I can tell you it doesn't seem like he plans on changing how he allocates minutes.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
This guy seems like a top 100 recruit easily. What am I missing here? Is there a downside I'm not seeing?
You're not missing anything, he's going to be that good. Very underrated. Rhoades knows how to pick 'em.

In one of the full games I watched on YouTube, against Westtown, the announcers were gushing over Jamir, Bones, and VCU. Mentioned Jamir's shooting and wanting to see him next to Bones. Loved Jamir's aggressiveness, and said VCU will be a team to watch this season.

During one sequence, Jamir boxed out 6' 10" 4* Franck Kepnang and drew an over-the-back call as well! The kid just doesn't care, he stays quiet and just balls hard all game. He'll be so fun to watch, swagger for days. He, Ace, and Bones out there together might prove deadly.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
You're not missing anything, he's going to be that good. Very underrated. Rhoades knows how to pick 'em.

In one of the full games I watched on YouTube, against Westtown, the announcers were gushing over Jamir, Bones, and VCU. Mentioned Jamir's shooting and wanting to see him next to Bones. Loved Jamir's aggressiveness, and said VCU will be a team to watch this season.

During one sequence, Jamir boxed out 6' 10" 4* Franck Kepnang and drew an over-the-back call as well! The kid just doesn't care, he stays quiet and just balls hard all game. He'll be so fun to watch, swagger for days. He, Ace, and Bones out there together might prove deadly.

after hearing this and watching Josh hit like 10 threes in a row tonight, I'm very excited about the future.

Nov 4, 2011

I think the approach to appease all will be minimized by the COVID scholly rules this season. Corey is a Rhoades guy, Stockard will get solid minutes because of his size and strength. Nobody is losing a year. Rhoades can play who he wants as much as he wants and figure out who's really going to be a player for him going forward. Those that aren't getting what they want will probably transfer. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but it doesn't set them back in terms of their playing career. I think an interesting case study, if you will, will be BMB. Is he ready to play? Play a lot? If not, it should be a great developmental year and something that he would likely expect--could be the same for a few others, granted they're on board and those plans are communicated between staff and player. All that said, I think Rhoades is beholden to no one when it comes to his lineups, the best players will play.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
About what I am saying, or how I feel/think? No, you are not "right".

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebask...n-pause-due-to-coronavirus-in-last-month.html

Covid-19 positive tests among NCAA basketball programs

The teams that will make it to the NCAA tournament without being "paused" will be the ones who play in it (HOW are paused teams going to create an NCAA worthy resume???). I believe that will be the ones who take this sht seriously... no fans filling arenas with deadly spores, no in-their-spare-time skipping in and out of campus fats food joints and carrying on at the mall- teams that have players who don't go home and go right back to hanging out with their friends unmasked, then bring their newfound microscopic deadly friends back to campus with them, and all- ones that live in a true blue bubble. Not the ones that don't take it seriously: it serves as a good potential source of example we can all take a hint and live by until there are vaccinations for all. Refuse to take it seriously now, and you get what comes with that.

TY AH, and TY Maggie.

2020-11-17_205659.jpg

Last edited: