2020-21 Season Outlook

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Crowfield never had a chance to live up to his shooting potential because the coaching staffs basically played him out of position just about all of his career at VCU. Regarding last year, Crowfield basically played behind at least one player that wasn't even close to being the shooter he was.
I definitely agree that for a variety of reasons outside of his control, Crow played much of his career out of position. But I am not sure that Crow actually was the shooter we all thought/hoped he would be.

northernvatiger

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
How do we all feel about this year's team after the Black & Gold event? I wasn't able to watch, so I am relying on the Ram Nation faithful here to report in! Thanks!

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
How do we all feel about this year's team after the Black & Gold event? I wasn't able to watch, so I am relying on the Ram Nation faithful here to report in! Thanks!
Uh, Josh Banks can really, really shoot.

We didn’t really see too much, but we definitely have a lot of raw talent. If we can hone that talent even just a little, I think we’ll have a good season.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
No freaking idea! Ha!

Banks looked really good against a clock, with a kind of pressure against him, but no defense. Can he do that in a game? He did in HS but this isn't HS.

We are going to need major production from a lot of people who have never produced at this level. We need significant growth from returnees and precocious play from freshmen. The league is going to be tougher and deeper this year. There is a reason everyone and his brother has us 9th.

But I am totally jazzed by what I see. I think Ace will start every VCU game for which he is healthy during his career. He could be an all-time great, and his play at PG allows Bones more freedom to score. I love the potential of our front line -- Ward and BMB especially, and if Corey is finally healthy, we will be much much better at retaining possession this year.

I think we get big(ish) minutes from Jamir and MBJ. I think we absolutely stole both of them. A healthy Vince, improvements from Tre and Curry? The battle for minutes could be epic.

It is the time of year for optimism. I see no reason to think otherwise. We can be a top 4 team with an unlimited ceiling in the future.

Or we might crash and burn; who the he!! knows? I do think there will be rough patches and uneven play with all of our youth, but I am pretty optimistic that we'll be fun to watch.

Mar 2, 2014
Crowfield never had a chance to live up to his shooting potential because the coaching staffs basically played him out of position just about all of his career at VCU. Regarding last year, Crowfield basically played behind at least one player that wasn't even close to being the shooter he was.
Wasn't he a shooting guard? He hardly ever played point. I am pretty he had a green light to shoot the ball, but just wasn't aggressive enough. Dude should have been taking 5-10 shots a game.

northernvatiger

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
No freaking idea! Ha!

Banks looked really good against a clock, with a kind of pressure against him, but no defense. Can he do that in a game? He did in HS but this isn't HS.

We are going to need major production from a lot of people who have never produced at this level. We need significant growth from returnees and precocious play from freshmen. The league is going to be tougher and deeper this year. There is a reason everyone and his brother has us 9th.

But I am totally jazzed by what I see. I think Ace will start every VCU game for which he is healthy during his career. He could be an all-time great, and his play at PG allows Bones more freedom to score. I love the potential of our front line -- Ward and BMB especially, and if Corey is finally healthy, we will be much much better at retaining possession this year.

I think we get big(ish) minutes from Jamir and MBJ. I think we absolutely stole both of them. A healthy Vince, improvements from Tre and Curry? The battle for minutes could be epic.

It is the time of year for optimism. I see no reason to think otherwise. We can be a top 4 team with an unlimited ceiling in the future.

Or we might crash and burn; who the he!! knows? I do think there will be rough patches and uneven play with all of our youth, but I am pretty optimistic that we'll be fun to watch.
Thank you!