2020-21 Season Outlook

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Last year it was not called as a travel in college. If it was called it was not that often. Seems like they are calling it a walk this year.
Yep I have seen it called in several gamers this year. Like most “points of focus“, I suspect it will be called less as the year goes on

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
One thing I think I’ve noticed and was kind of a deal for us in years past due to our style of play. For a while there at the beginning of the season you could look hard at an opposing player and draw a foul; I mean the slightest hand check would draw a whistle. As the season went on hat eased up.

Doesn’t seem for our games anyway that is such a big deal but I haven’t really thought about it until now and haven’t gone back and replayed games. Haven’t had the chance to watch many other games either.

are they being called all that tightly?

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Sure hope we’re paying this guy well enough to ensure he’ll stick around for a while. Somebody’s gonna come after him soon.

Reactions: MobileMunchies

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I mean if someone wants to hire him as a head coach, there's not a lot we can do about it.
Nor should we...you want your assistant coaches to get head jobs...indicates you have a successful program and attracts high level assistants to fill the opening hoping for their shot at the top job of a program ...disappointing to lose good assistants but a good healthy sign.

IstanbulRam

Top Member
Nov 29, 2016
1606961811778.png

ESPN using BPI to project the A1o getting 3 teams in the dance. Atlantic-10 is the 7th strongest conference and strongest mid-major (ahead of AA & MW)

If the A10 gets three I think VCU has a real shot. 1 Saint Louis 2 Ticks 3 VCU/Dayton

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Rhody beat Seton Hall tonight. They lost some tough games early but they are good.

St Louis, Richmond, Davidson, Rhody, St Bonny, Duquesne, Dayton, UMass, VCU = varying degrees of decent/good.

We won’t be dancing this year. We are (re) building. We’ll be competitive though.

2021-22 is the year (assuming good health and roster stability). The sooner Mike fully commits to Tre Clark/Hason Ward (in particular; they can be special) and the youngsters, the better.

Side note: We, across the board, desperately need to hit the weight room hard.

Last edited:

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
We won’t be dancing this year.
joey-rodriguez-of-the-virginia-commonwealth-rams-smiles-during-the-picture-id110939960

"We'll see."

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
St Louis, Richmond, Davidson, Rhody, St Bonny, Duquesne, Dayton, UMass, VCU = varying degrees of decent/good.

We won’t be dancing this year. We are (re) building. We’ll be competitive though.

2021-22 is the year (assuming good health and roster stability). The sooner Mike fully commits to Tre Clark/Hason Ward (in particular; they can be special) and the youngsters, the better.

Side note: We, across the board, desperately need to hit the weight room hard.
Solid first four games out of the gate...............four Top 100 KP teams away from Siegel (2-2). Good audition/experience. Decent metrics.

Basically, 11 kids (4 upperclassmen/7 underclassmen) played (not counting BMB) -- averaging between 8.3-28.8 mpg and between 3.3-14.8 ppg. The minutes/rotation are ok for now but will need to be adjusted as the season progresses and we have a greater body of work (more data points).

Mike, I hope, redefines the roles a bit, re-examines the rotation, and re-distributes the minutes according to merit/efficiency/production/ceiling. I think we left some efficiency/performance on the table (i.e. on the pine).

Tre Clark, to me, is the (obvious) emerging/potential star of this squad. Kid has P5 physical tools, elite athleticism, a sweet stroke, excellent handle, great confidence, etc. His productivity/swagger was impressive. Major impact player (especially high ceiling) if given the alpha role/minutes. Similar kudos to (and outlook for) Hason Ward.

I'd love to see Mike adjust the starting lineup and build/focus the team this season around the seven underclassmen (no JMac) and have the four upperclassmen (not counting BMB) play supporting roles as needed/required.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk