2020-21 Season Outlook

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
My thoughts through 4 games:

MR and the staff have a lot to work on this year and will need to find the best rotations.

But...... if you’ve watched these four games and you don’t believe that the freshman and sophomores that are on this roster are the kinds of players that we as fans want to have at VCU.... then go watch another team. We have some mother f///ing dogs on this roster. We don’t have anymore entitled Wade recruits.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Solid first four games out of the gate...............four Top 100 KP teams away from Siegel (2-2). Good audition/experience. Decent metrics.

Basically, 11 kids (4 upperclassmen/7 underclassmen) played (not counting BMB) -- averaging between 8.3-28.8 mpg and between 3.3-14.8 ppg. The minutes/rotation are ok for now but will need to be adjusted as the season progresses and we have a greater body of work (more data points).

Mike, I hope, redefines the roles a bit, re-examines the rotation, and re-distributes the minutes according to merit/efficiency/production/ceiling. I think we left some efficiency/performance on the table (i.e. on the pine).

Tre Clark, to me, is the (obvious) emerging/potential star of this squad. Kid has P5 physical tools, elite athleticism, a sweet stroke, excellent handle, great confidence, etc. His productivity/swagger was impressive. Major impact player (especially high ceiling) if given the alpha role/minutes. Similar kudos to (and outlook for) Hason Ward.

I'd love to see Mike adjust the starting lineup and build/focus the team this season around the seven underclassmen (no JMac) and have the four upperclassmen (not counting BMB) play supporting roles as needed/required.
As I stated before the season, this is the most athletic, longest and most talented team VCU has had in a while, but they are so young and inexperienced as a whole. Toss in that the staff hadn’t seen this team play against another team until a week ago, and you get the possibility of shifts in time and minutes.

I liked Tre Clark a lot last year. The way we play we need three guards, so having him with Bones and Ace is vital. Clark got 18, 20, and 13 minutes respectively in South Dakota. Last night, he seemed in a good place offensively and looked smooth in that three he made. Unfortunately, he fouled out in 9 minutes.

I must admit that Ward is further along offensively than I thought he’d be. Nice little baby hook and pretty good at the FT line.

I loved that Watkins drove to the rim on the tying basket. Too many kids hoist up threes in that situation. The freshmen as a group are giving us some good minutes. We’ll just have to live with some of the freshmen mistakes early on this season. Regardless, none of them seem to have a deer in the headlights look, like some freshmen from years past.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This year feels like nothing more that getting games which is to be expected during a pandemic. I have been excited for every game they play but maybe that is heightened due to my mundane life these days :lol: Heck, If this season had gone according to plan this would have been their third game. Who knows what is in store? I know this season is about getting court time and getting this team to be beastly in 2021. Oh, I do need to get my cardboard cutout today.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This is on Curry's shoulder....“I'm not sure if it popped ... out and went back in,” Rhoades said. “But we'll figure that out when we get back [to Richmond].”

Ugh, I popped my left shoulder out playing ball in high school. For me the ligaments around my socket became loose. I must have popped it out around five times before Doctor McCue the UVA doc put some screws in. Now I set off metal detectors.

He said that for some people once it is popped back in that they don't have an issue and for others the ligaments stretch.

• Wow
Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
This is on Curry's shoulder....“I'm not sure if it popped ... out and went back in,” Rhoades said. “But we'll figure that out when we get back [to Richmond].”

Ugh, I popped my left shoulder out playing ball in high school. For me the ligaments around my socket became loose. I must have popped it out around five times before Doctor McCue the UVA doc put some screws in. Now I set off metal detectors.

He said that for some people once it is popped back in that they don't have an issue and for others the ligaments stretch.

ugh hoping for the best for Mr. Curry Magic. His hard work is paying off, he deserves to see those results out there! I'm ok with him sitting a couple of games just to make sure everything is good to go

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
The thing I keep reminding me about this season is that we're doing the schedule kind of backwards. Normally by the time VCU takes on teams like Utah State, Memphis, West Virginia, and Penn State, they've been through a Black & Gold game, an exhibition or two (one private), and four or five buy games against relative cupcakes. Those games get them ready and allow the coaches to figure out combinations. But, none of that happened. These kids, on a very young team, were literally thrown into the fire. They've performed EXTREMELY well when you take all of this into consideration. It royally sucks that the game last night didn't go into overtime and give the Rams a chance to win, but I think at the beginning of the season any of us would have taken a record of 2-2 against the teams they've played. They have two quality neutral court wins with an opportunity for another quality OOC win coming up against LSU. Also, with the strength of the A10 this year, they'll have more quality win opportunities coming in conference play. I feel like this VCU team's floor is an NIT bid.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Early season PSA

Masn is only distributing the content. They are not the producers of the content. So if you have qualms with the production quality, it is most likely not a MASN issue.

I only state this because every game there are people complaining to them and with more people watching instead of attending, I imagine there may be more complaints 8-)

Reactions: LQuarles

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Early season PSA

Masn is only distributing the content. They are not the producers of the content. So if you have qualms with the production quality, it is most likely not a MASN issue.

I only state this because every game there are people complaining to them and with more people watching instead of attending, I imagine there may be more complaints 8-)
I went to the bottom of our most current schedule, where they list the networks and their respective channel numbers for cable and satellite, but don’t see info for MASN2.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I went to the bottom of our most current schedule, where they list the networks and their respective channel numbers for cable and satellite, but don’t see info for MASN2.

MASN2 is channel 844 on Comcast. MASN is channel 845. The actual channel number is going to vary for each cable provider.