2020-21 Season Outlook

Mar 1, 2015
Friday thoughts.....I wonder how Rhoades will utilize Bones this year. It is very difficult to take the ball out of a playmakers hands but if the team goes "young" I wonder how effective it would be to put the ball in Ace Baldwin's hands and allow Bones to move off the ball for open looks. That being said, Bones is great off the dribble but I do wonder if something like that would be effective in helping with the shooting woes the last several years. Bona has the same situation with Lofton. He is such a good player they keep him at point but he might be better served to look for open spaces off the ball. Just a thought. Ramdog mentioned scoring when I listed a line-up of Hyland, Clark, Williams, Douglas and Ward. A line-up of Ace, Bones, Clark, Williams and Douglas or Ward might put the wheels in motion for more offensive productivity.
Hyland probably will play the 2 at least some if Baldwin does well enough. Either way. Lack of guards and guys that can handle/pass might have be the biggest problem with the offense the last couple of years. Evans didn’t really run the offense that well, and couldn’t push a break. The secondary options on the floor at guard were usually Vann and Jenkins, and they were poor Ball handlers and passers. I would guess you will frequently see 2 of Hyland/Baldwin/Clark on the floor. Curry handles the ball Ok and will see time at the 2 and 3, McAllister as well. They both handle better than Vann and Jenkins. Second unit was better offensively because the guard play was so much stronger. Shouldn’t be a problem this year. I expect the offense will be better, faster and more fun to watch.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Don't sleep on Jarren Mcallister and the Frosh to Soph jump!!!
Serious question. Where do people see J-Mac playing on the floor? Again, this is just a question or fan poll. It in no way means I have anything but love for him as a Ram but I am curious where people envision him playing.

Reactions: Newboy

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Serious question. Where do people see J-Mac playing on the floor? Again, this is just a question or fan poll. It in no way means I have anything but love for him as a Ram but I am curious where people envision him playing.
I kind of see him getting the minutes jump of Curry (5.7 frosh/16.3 soph) while being a Jordan Burgess kind of SG/Banger.....he can move with the ball, he's unafraid to get in the trees, and with the Rhoades defense he'll end up with a couple steals. Definitely an off the bench/change of pace kind of guy...
small lineup? Tre/Curry/JM et al
bigger lineup playing off the PG as a 2 (who doesn't shoot from range) who can drive/dish or pick and roll??

that'd be a great MR question down the road

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Seems like a prototypical 3 to me. Would be a cleaner fit if he shot better from distance but you could say that about any player. Rebounding, grit, energy are all positives. Throw in screening (broad shoulders, doesn't mind contact), hopefully some PNR chemistry with one or more of the ball handlers, and defense - I think that more or less adds up to TJ Gwynn as a floor?

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I kind of see him getting the minutes jump of Curry (5.7 frosh/16.3 soph) while being a Jordan Burgess kind of SG/Banger.....he can move with the ball, he's unafraid to get in the trees, and with the Rhoades defense he'll end up with a couple steals. Definitely an off the bench/change of pace kind of guy...
small lineup? Tre/Curry/JM et al
bigger lineup playing off the PG as a 2 (who doesn't shoot from range) who can drive/dish or pick and roll??

that'd be a great MR question down the road
Outside of the first part(Curry like minutes jump) I can potentially see the rest of your comment. J-Mac was the fewest minutes of any Scholly player last year, with a good portion of his minutes coming at the 4. As someone who has for a long time stated the talent level goes up from last year, I don't see him getting a bunch of time at the 4 this year. Again, I am a fan of J-Mac but I struggle to see where his minutes double. Obviously a lot can and will happen before the team tosses it up for the opening tip.

Reactions: Newboy and mrgeode

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Seems like a prototypical 3 to me. Would be a cleaner fit if he shot better from distance but you could say that about any player. Rebounding, grit, energy are all positives. Throw in screening (broad shoulders, doesn't mind contact), hopefully some PNR chemistry with one or more of the ball handlers, and defense - I think that more or less adds up to TJ Gwynn as a floor?
I haven't seen one head fake from J-Mac so I'm not sure if I can compare him to TJ yet :lol:

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Friday thoughts.....I wonder how Rhoades will utilize Bones this year. It is very difficult to take the ball out of a playmakers hands but if the team goes "young" I wonder how effective it would be to put the ball in Ace Baldwin's hands and allow Bones to move off the ball for open looks. That being said, Bones is great off the dribble but I do wonder if something like that would be effective in helping with the shooting woes the last several years. Bona has the same situation with Lofton. He is such a good player they keep him at point but he might be better served to look for open spaces off the ball. Just a thought. Ramdog mentioned scoring when I listed a line-up of Hyland, Clark, Williams, Douglas and Ward. A line-up of Ace, Bones, Clark, Williams and Douglas or Ward might put the wheels in motion for more offensive productivity.
The flexibility and youth of the line ups you listed are why I am excited about this year even if the preseason predictions are not ideal.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010
The flexibility and youth of the line ups you listed are why I am excited about this year even if the preseason predictions are not ideal.
During the Purdue game last year I said the season was going downhill. Asked to predict, I said we'd miss the Tournament and be subpar. I'm extremely optimistic about this upcoming season. I'm really looking forward to it (if it happens at all).

Reactions: Ramcounter

vcubob

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
If improves his handle I could see playing time at the 3

Mar 2, 2014
Outside of the first part(Curry like minutes jump) I can potentially see the rest of your comment. J-Mac was the fewest minutes of any Scholly player last year, with a good portion of his minutes coming at the 4. As someone who has for a long time stated the talent level goes up from last year, I don't see him getting a bunch of time at the 4 this year. Again, I am a fan of J-Mac but I struggle to see where his minutes double. Obviously a lot can and will happen before the team tosses it up for the opening tip.
Depending on who we bring in next year, I see him as a potential transfer candidate.

Reactions: TampaKAP

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
traditional lineup/positions:
PG: Bones/Ace/Tre
Sg: Curry/Bones/Banks
SF: Vince/McCallister/Watkins
PF: Ward/Brown-Jones
C: Douglas/Stockard

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Unless Curry develops an outside game, I can see McAllister taking minutes away from Curry. He is a LOT more physical than Curry, and VCU needs that. Curry is at his best in the open court, but lacks offense in the half-court. McAllister is much better in the half-court due to his physicality.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I would not be surprised if JMac starts at the 3 or 4 in a small ball lineup. He is much more explosive than either of the burgesses around the basket. The question, like many have already mentioned, is his outside shot.

However, if he gets to the basket and finishes or gets fouled at the rate like last season with more playing time then the outside shot is just icing on the cake right now.