2020 A-10/MWC Challenge

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So, I was looking at the current standings of both the A-10 and the MWC to see where teams are currently ranked in their respective leagues. Ten teams from each conference will play in the Challenge. Below are the match ups for next year, along with their current league standing:

Tuesday, December 1, 2020
#2 Utah State @ #7 Davidson

Wednesday, December 3, 2020
#4 UNLV @ #9 VCU
#6 St. Bonaventure @ #7 New Mexico

Saturday, December 5, 2020
#1 San Diego State @ #5 Saint Louis
#12 George Mason @ #8 Fresno State
#5 Boise State @ #3 Rhode Island
#9 Air Force @ #13 Saint Joseph's
#2 Richmond @ #6 Colorado State
#4 Duquesne @ #11 Wyoming

Sunday, December 6, 2020
#1 Dayton @ #3 Nevada

Not Participating in the Challenge: #10 San Jose State, #14 Fordham, #11 La Salle, #10 GW, #8 UMass

Of course this year's standings have no bearing on where a team is projected in their respective conference next year. Also, below is the criteria being used by both conferences to determine match ups:

"Matchups for each year are determined by the league offices based on a number of factors, including the previous year’s records, NET rankings and team achievements, as well as projected rankings and anticipated strength of teams for the upcoming season. All 10 games in 2020 will be played during the first week of December, with television and digital rights residing with the host conference." - Source: A-10

UNLV is currently 17-14, and the only team to beat San Diego State this year. They are also 6-1 in their last 7 games and lose only one starter to graduation next year. Before the season started, posters on these boards were complaining about the match up between VCU and UNLV. Personally, I think it is now looking like a very good match up for VCU in this Challenge, based on how this season has played out. We'll see what next year's pre-season projections say about these match ups later this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcuff
May 4, 2012
Well we're getting them here so that helps. Not TOO early for our young team. Could be a fun game.

rf1

Aug 30, 2014
This challenge may not last more than its first two years.

The MWC voted 7-4 to increase their league schedule to 20 games. This will mean round robin home and away games versus every other member as there are 11 teams. San Diego, UNLV, Nevada, and Air Force are thought to be the dissenters. Will not go into effect until another two years after the the initial MWC-A10 Challenge agreement is completed. Assumption is that the renewal clause for this conference challenge will not be acted on per San Diego Union-Tribune thus ending it after two seasons.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
This challenge may not last more than its first two years.

The MWC voted 7-4 to increase their league schedule to 20 games. This will mean round robin home and away games versus every other member as there are 11 teams. San Diego, UNLV, Nevada, and Air Force are thought to be the dissenters. Will not go into effect until another two years after the the initial MWC-A10 Challenge agreement is completed. Assumption is that the renewal clause for this conference challenge will not be acted on per San Diego Union-Tribune thus ending it after two seasons.

No real surprise that they are going to 20 games and no real surprise the challenge most certainly wont be more than two years. I've said it before, the A10 needs to shed some teams and go to a true round robin schedule.

Reactions: LQuarles
Mar 2, 2014
No real surprise that they are going to 20 games and no real surprise the challenge most certainly wont be more than two years. I've said it before, the A10 needs to shed some teams and go to a true round robin schedule.
Yep, and get better.

May 4, 2012
On the other hand, this provides higher calibre competition which the NCAA is encouraging. Maybe the losers in the 20 game conference world are the cupcakes.
Im fine with replacing two cupcakes with conference opponents.

May 1, 2009
I've said it before, the A10 needs to shed some teams and go to a true round robin schedule.
Many of us have said it but I doubt it will happen unless there are some programs in real hardship....and even then, they will probably be giving some type of assistance (scheduling, travel, whatever) for a year or two. Small private colleges are going to have a tough time, especially if they don't have a very enthusiastic athletic fan base with donors. And at this point, I am not sure who the league would replace them with so doubt it is going to happen.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
LaSalle: Already got a better Philly team and LaSalle is struggling financially, they'd appreciate the mercy kill and go MAAC/Patriot
Fordham: No point in having an NYC footprint if the school involved is inconsequential...NEC/Patriot for them

add no one, stick with 12, slightly more money for the remaining schools to share.

Reactions: Newboy
Mar 2, 2014
The other problem with the A10 as I see it , is Dayton and St. Louis leaving. Then we are pretty much back to CAA level.

Reactions: Celticguy

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
The other problem with the A10 as I see it , is Dayton and St. Louis leaving. Then we are pretty much back to CAA level.
I don't see either of them going anywhere. Maybe if Dayton had been able to play and somehow won a natty with Obi the Big East would have come calling but at this point I don't see it.

Jan 8, 2020
VCU needs to do whatever it can do to get into the AAC. The teams and competition in that league are far better than the A10. Much higher profile IMO.
2020 A 10 NET: 8th-ranked conference
114-61 cumulative non-conference record
.6514 NET rating
2020 AAC: 7th-ranked conference
105-47 cumulative non-conference record
.6708 NET rating
I'm not sure this makes the AAC a much better and more high-profile conference. Looks pretty much to be about even with A 10.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
On the other hand, this provides higher calibre competition which the NCAA is encouraging. Maybe the losers in the 20 game conference world are the cupcakes.
Im fine with replacing two cupcakes with conference opponents.
The problem with that is that with all the major and upper-mid conferences pivoting to 20 games, it's those games that are less likely to happen going forward. You might be losing Wichita State and Georgia Tech instead of Merrimack and Longwood.

May 4, 2012
The problem with that is that with all the major and upper-mid conferences pivoting to 20 games, it's those games that are less likely to happen going forward. You might be losing Wichita State and Georgia Tech instead of Merrimack and Longwood.
agreed that two games vanish BUT the NCAA is also rewarding stronger competition in its NET changes.
I'm hopeful that the incentive proves more attractive than the meaningless wins.