Recruiting 2020 Offers

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
This is absolutely true, but I think a little unrealistic. If he gets to the FF using players he picked up in his van driving around Gilpen Court I'd be ecstatic. But we both know that the odds of good results are dramatically better if he recruits highly regarded players. Not to reopen the accursed stars debate again, but you are very very unlikely to get very far in big time basketball by routinely staffing your team with unknowns

Depending on depth of the class and skill of the talent evaluators involved, rankings and stars are dead on target for the top 20 players.

After that, they get more inaccurate. Once you get past the top 100, they become preluminary indicators and not the litmus test.

Talent is based on a combination of a consistent if demonstrated of level skill , athleticism.

Corey Douglas got more playing than Gilmore because he plays better post defense than the 4th highest rated player in vcu highest.

If a higher rated player comes in and lives up to the hype then great.

Otherwise, he is going to ride the pine like anyone else if he doesn't demonstrate it on the court.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
This is absolutely true, but I think a little unrealistic. If he gets to the FF using players he picked up in his van driving around Gilpen Court I'd be ecstatic. But we both know that the odds of good results are dramatically better if he recruits highly regarded players. Not to reopen the accursed stars debate again, but you are very very unlikely to get very far in big time basketball by routinely staffing your team with unknowns
I know that, I'm exaggerating to make a point. Of course nobody is going to go far with a team of walk-on. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. Point being, wins and tournament performance is the bottom line I care about and is what he's getting paid to deliver. How he does it is on Rhoades and that's what he ultimately has to answer for.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009

DJ is long and fast. He gets out and finishes the break.

What sticks out to me is he has a post up game. Early in the video, he demonstes the ability to post up a smaller defender on the right box and hit a turnaround jumper fading left.

If we add him to the roster then we could invert the offense. It would help to have mobley for that type of set though.:roll:

Mobley was our best entry passer.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
DJ is long and fast. He gets out and finishes the break.

What sticks out to me is he has a post up game. Early in the video, he demonstes the ability to post up a smaller defender on the right box and hit a turnaround jumper fading left.

If we add him to the roster then we could invert the offense. It would help to have mobley for that type of set though.:roll:

Mobley was our best entry passer.
Looks like our top prospect at the wing for 2020, and we have a ton of minutes to fill

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
@Ramdog

Rankings are only relevant IF they are based on accurate, comprehensive assessment of every player's skill level in every facet of the game as well as athleticism.

The current ranking system is not an accurate thus making it irrelevant.

Hypothetically speaking, if mcallister were to come in here and take Deriante Jenkin's starting job, it wouldn't be due to his offer sheet and the number of stars in front of his name.

With all due respect, Mcallister is better at creating his own shot than jenkins right now.

Jenkins knows that he has to improve his ball handling because he is employing damian Lillard ball handling drills to address that weakness in his game right now.

If the ranking system were really accurate, they would not rank a wing ,like jenkins, #43 in his class without the ability getting to the basket using his left hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88RAM
Apr 22, 2009
Duncanlamb has a point about the rankings. A significant component of the rankings is who goes to summer camps, plays AAU ball, etc, and gets the right type of media exposure.

Still, the rankings are a legitimate guide to who has a good skillset but obviously it is far from a guarantee.

Reactions: duncanlamb

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Rhoades mentioned in the coaches show this week that he values a couple of the scouting services, mentioning Evan Daniels’ service in particular.

Dr. Joe

Top Member
Oct 12, 2017
Duncanlamb has a point about the rankings. A significant component of the rankings is who goes to summer camps, plays AAU ball, etc, and gets the right type of media exposure.

Still, the rankings are a legitimate guide to who has a good skillset but obviously it is far from a guarantee.
FWIW When I was coaching AAU women’s basketball with Coach Sherod I felt the five or four+ players were usually accurate because, like DL noted they had lots of exposure at many tournaments. But the two, three, and three+ stars were often based on minimal exposure and sometimes a player would be ranked a three star based on one game that they happened to play very well or a two based on a lesser performance. Really good scouting services rank a player as much for what they cannot do as what they can do. Zion W was a five because no one could figure out what he couldn’t do!! We, on the other hand, have had many 2 and three star players ranked on what they could not do but developed over their four years and eventually played like four+ star players. Again, just my opinion, you can usually trust the highest ranked players ranking but below that the standard deviation is quite large.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009

Tean durant eybl lineup...they also have 2 other vcu 2020 targets: earl timberlake and darius maddox. They also have a shot blocking big named tegra izay.

Last edited: