Recruiting 2020 Offers

vcu70

Elite Member
I guess we dont have room for Obinna. I wonder who they are after for the fifth spot?

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
I'm real curious what coach is looking for in filling this last scholarship.

He is either going to fill it with slender athletic, f/c like fussell or go with another 6-7 - 6-8 interchangeable forward like dj gordon or tyon grant foster

He specifically said he doesnt want "plodders", big wide body stationary bigs.

I can't imagine Mike recruiting a plodder, but I would love to see a mobile big body 230+ who can take up space, grab a board and protect the rim(Mo Ali?), who doesn't? Villanova won big with a lineup similar to ours but had that beefy guy in the middle who was athletic. Those guys aren't easy to get and right now Marcus and Corey I think will fill that role well, but can Ward protect that middle and defend the bigs when they're gone? Again, I'm curious where Mike's going with his next recruit. He's hitting home runs right now and will,continue to. I just think that stud in the middle will take us to another level. Just an opinion. Go Mike! Go Rams!

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I can't imagine Mike recruiting a plodder, but I would love to see a mobile big body 230+ who can take up space, grab a board and protect the rim(Mo Ali?), who doesn't? Villanova won big with a lineup similar to ours but had that beefy guy in the middle who was athletic. Those guys aren't easy to get and right now Marcus and Corey I think will fill that role well, but can Ward protect that middle and defend the bigs when they're gone? Again, I'm curious where Mike's going with his next recruit. He's hitting home runs right now and will,continue to. I just think that stud in the middle will take us to another level. Just an opinion. Go Mike! Go Rams!
Remember, Mo wasn't "Mo" when he was recruited either.

Also, don't forget that Ward once blocked 22 shots in one game. Competition was, um, unimpressive, but the kid has "long length" and fantastic timing. There's a reason Georgia wanted him.

The staff got things done so early that they can afford to be picky. If ET pops for VCU this week, this becomes one of the all-time classes. If he doesn't, Mike can take his time and use the last spot for a dead-eye shooter or a big. Spring/summer decommit, grad transfer, late riser, JuCo . . . many, many options, all a consequence of getting Ace wrapped up early, which lead to the rest of the 2020 gang. An enviable spot to be in

RAMification

Elite Member
Having arrived at this spot so quickly and efficiently in the recruiting cycle my guess is the staff exercises patience and "cherry picks" the best available talent out there whether it be an athletic big or pure shooting wing. They are in a great spot right now. Only one(1) other team in the 247sports top 20 team recruiting rankings has commitments from FOUR ballers. That team is UNLV. The staff has earned the right to move slowly and methodically and go after some elite prospects with that last scholarship. It may be a guy who blows-up, an elite transfer, big-time JUCO, decommit or even a Post Grad. If they decide to wait it will give them a window of opportunity to ascertain what the critical need(s) are because the season will have been played. They will know first hand what parts of the game need shoring-up.

That said, if the right prospect like Elijah Taylor, Christian Fussell, DJ etc. was ready to commit I think you have to jump. One thing is for sure, with the movement of players in the game today, coaches are not near as concerned with having a scholarship "laying around" like they used to. Most will use every available scholarship if it merits it. I think Mike fits this mold.

One thing that is often forgotten in the recruiting process is that when you can put a wrap on the current cycle early(2020), you can get a jump-start on the next cycle(2021). This affords you the opportunity to invest more time with elite recruits which can be a good thing.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
So I raised the question about what this scenario a few days ago. Now that it is a reality, I think if the right recruit commits, you have to take it. There are about 4 that I can think of right now and there are certainly others that would fit. Look, the spring is going to take care of itself. When is the last time we didn’t have a scholly open in the spring?