Recruiting 2020 Offers

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
A big VCU has been recruiting for a while who I would love to use that last scholarship on is David N'Guessan of Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore. David hails from the Netherlands and has many of the typical Euro skills but is also very tough. He came over in 2018 and has adapted to American style basketball very well. He is not a red-hot, but rather a "white-hot" prospect as we speak. In the new 247sports rankings he is a 4* recruit ranked #114 nationally. Rivals new rankings place him at #150. He is known for his toughness, versatility, and varied skill-set. I can see why Mike really likes his game as he could be a really tough match-up problem. I see him as a stretch-four at 6'9". He has the kind of skill-set where he can grab a rebound and take it coast-to-coast for the jam. His brother plays at ETSU and is a true 7 footer and David is reportedly still growing. He could be a real problem in the A10.

Although he is blowing-up big-time, Mike and company have been on him for some time. I'm sure both Bones and Ace know him well. That along with Coach Brunt(Baltimore) may be a big help. Locking him up would be a pretty substantial coup.

Go Rams!

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
A big VCU has been recruiting for a while who I would love to use that last scholarship on is David N'Guessan of Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore. David hails from the Netherlands and has many of the typical Euro skills but is also very tough. He came over in 2018 and has adapted to American style basketball very well. He is not a red-hot, but rather a "white-hot" prospect as we speak. In the new 247sports rankings he is a 4* recruit ranked #114 nationally. Rivals new rankings place him at #150. He is known for his toughness, versatility, and varied skill-set. I can see why Mike really likes his game as he could be a really tough match-up problem. I see him as a stretch-four at 6'9". He has the kind of skill-set where he can grab a rebound and take it coast-to-coast for the jam. His brother plays at ETSU and is a true 7 footer and David is reportedly still growing. He could be a real problem in the A10.

Although he is blowing-up big-time, Mike and company have been on him for some time. I'm sure both Bones and Ace know him well. That along with Coach Brunt(Baltimore) may be a big help. Locking him up would be a pretty substantial coup.

Go Rams!
100% with you on this one Ramification. This dude has a very diverse skill set. He'd be PERFECT to fill the remaining spot. Learn (while playing) from MSS and Corey and they inherit the spot. I know we are on him heavy, that we think we have a shot despite all the P5s jumping in. I was kinda hoping he was there last night.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
100% with you on this one Ramification. This dude has a very diverse skill set. He'd be PERFECT to fill the remaining spot. Learn (while playing) from MSS and Corey and they inherit the spot. I know we are on him heavy, that we think we have a shot despite all the P5s jumping in. I was kinda hoping he was there last night.
We are definitely on him hard. Fortunately we were on him before he blew-up. He's a very hot commodity now. He's Mike's kind of baller. His diverse skill-set makes him an ideal fit for the Rams. Hopefully our Baltimore connections(Coach/player) will help carry the day.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
We are definitely on him hard. Fortunately we were on him before he blew-up. He's a very hot commodity now. He's Mike's kind of baller. His diverse skill-set makes him an ideal fit for the Rams. Hopefully our Baltimore connections(Coach/player) will help carry the day.
He has a great motor!

Reactions: RAMification

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Maybe it is the way we have played for the last 20 years, but I do not understand why we can't recruit a major big guy with skills. Don't get me wrong, I love MSS, Tillman, Mo, Ju, Godwin, etc......even Sanders. But it would be really nice to get a big skilled talent like Golden who is an actual "BIG". Who knows, put 40 lbs or so on Ward and we will probably have that guy. I guess compared to other positions, getting a 6'10"+ guy 250+ lbs with skills is much more difficult than find a guard or forward with skills (and the ability to run the court like we do). But I have seen other teams of our caliber who have such guys. We've done fantastic with undersized guy at the 5 but when trying to compete against major P5 programs on the court it does make it very difficult.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Maybe it is the way we have played for the last 20 years, but I do not understand why we can't recruit a major big guy with skills. Don't get me wrong, I love MSS, Tillman, Mo, Ju, Godwin, etc......even Sanders. But it would be really nice to get a big skilled talent like Golden who is an actual "BIG". Who knows, put 40 lbs or so on Ward and we will probably have that guy. I guess compared to other positions, getting a 6'10"+ guy 250+ lbs with skills is much more difficult than find a guard or forward with skills (and the ability to run the court like we do). But I have seen other teams of our caliber who have such guys. We've done fantastic with undersized guy at the 5 but when trying to compete against major P5 programs on the court it does make it very difficult.
As everyone around here already knows, this is my one beef. Most true bigs including the one tagged as elite need to time develop with a good man coach.

All you really need is a true big with above average athleticism, a good work ethic and likes to play physical.

There are actually quite a few out there.

If there's one guy we overlooked in the 2020 class, it's 6'10 250 Noel Brown.

The vcu staff scouted him while scouting AAU Under Armour District WAWG team which included 2020 VCU target Ashley James last summer.

Noel has only played Basketball for 3 years but has developed into a force under the tutelage of Big Man trainer Duvall Simmonds and Coach Rico Reed at Flint Hill Prep in Vienna, Va.

He's developed into really good big in a short time and played well enough in one summer to garner 13 offers including URI.

Since Jamion, Christian signed him last fall for GW, he has continued to develop into a beast down low.

We had a shot a him. JD knows his mother and Coach Cofer, who ran District WAWG, is a vcu grad; he helped coach the TBT team last year, yet we never pulled the trigger and offered him.

Duvall Simmonds trained Qudus Wahab, I think Noel is going to better than Qudus in the paint.

Brent Scott is actual "big man" coach, we need to give him at least one true big to work with.

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
There are 2,800 7 footers worldwide, of both genders and all ages. More at 6'10" of course, but these big humans are rare as can be. Add to that that you want a high school-aged human who is "skilled," with the eligibility and grades to get into your institution, with "the ability to run the court like we do," and you have a pink unicorn. You know who else wants that guy? 352 other D1 coaches, many of whom have big bags.

Grant Golden? Terrific player who has worked his ass off to get better ever year. He deserves major credit for his own development, and he ended up in exactly the right system. But everyone in college basketball missed on him. UR was by far his best offer (AU, Furman, Holy Cross etc). Sometimes you get lucky and credit to Mooney for plucking him out of obscurity and making something of him.

RamFanatic

Top Member
Feb 6, 2012
Other than N’Guessan, do you know who the staff is targeting with the last scholly?

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013

Go Rams!
I've tried to get a hold of Mt. Zion's schedule so I could go and see him play, dressed in VCU stuff, all black and gold, of course, but they way they post the schedule is hard to follow and many of their games are out of town. Everything I've seen and heard about him, he would be terrific for us.

Reactions: duncanlamb

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

"
Richards is an athletic big man from Brooklyn, N.Y., who has largely flown under the radar despite his immense potential. He was once ranked as a four-star recruit by ESPN but now checks in as a two-star recruit by the site. He doesn't have profile pages on 247Sports or Rivals. Richards verbally committed to Florida International in December 2018 but never attended the school and is currently at a postgraduate program.
“He’s got a lot of upside," his prep coach, Anthony Taylor, said. "He’s long, he can defend, he’s really active and plays hard and is very athletic for a guy of that size. He has a lot of potential.”
Richards' only current scholarship offers are from Nevada and UTEP, although he said he's getting interest from Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Virginia Tech and Tulsa, among other school.".

"
Taylor said Richards' commitment to FIU impacted the teams that were interested in him.
“He was a four-star recruit and I think a lot of people saw he was committed to FIU and all the coaches assumed he’d go there and then he made his decision not to go there and now a lot of people are figuring, ‘Hey, he’s available,’ and stuff like that," Taylor said. "Once we get going (with our season), I have no doubt he’ll have a plethora of interest from a lot of schools and then he’ll just have to figure out what his best fit is.”.