Recruiting 2020 Offers

Nov 4, 2011
Rebuild......

1) Zero returning double-digit scorers
2) No impact seniors (and possibly upperclassmen)
3) Worst (on paper) returning group of upperclassmen perhaps in VCU history (Curry, Williams, Douglas - all of which averaged less than 5 ppg and none are proven shooters)
4) 9 frosh/soph (BMB is essentially a soph if he has to sit)
5) One proven shooter/scorer (Hyland)
6) No established big
7) Entire starting five from 18-13 team departed

We are likely A-10 mid-pack at best. Probably end up in the 15-19 total win range. That’s hopefully the initial step of an upward climb back to national relevance by 2022-23 (when we are upperclassmen-heavy again).

2020-21 is a developmental year; first time in a long time.

I commend your optimism, though.
Totally understand the argument, and while statistically it's pretty grim, these are the same types of stats that overvalued us this past season. I think we have some dogs coming in that will be acclimated to this level of play very quickly.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Rebuild......

1) Zero returning double-digit scorers
2) No impact seniors (and possibly upperclassmen)
3) Worst (on paper) returning group of upperclassmen perhaps in VCU history (Curry, Williams, Douglas - all of which averaged less than 5 ppg and none are proven shooters)
4) 9 frosh/soph (BMB is essentially a soph if he has to sit)
5) One proven shooter/scorer (Hyland)
6) No established big
7) Entire starting five from 18-13 team departed

We are likely A-10 mid-pack at best. Probably end up in the 15-19 total win range. That’s hopefully the initial step of an upward climb back to national relevance by 2022-23 (when we are upperclassmen-heavy again).

2020-21 is a developmental year; first time in a long time.

I commend your optimism, though.
Our 2011-12 roster, the winningest in school history:

Briante Weber - freshman
Teddy Okereafor - freshman
Darius Theus - junior
Rob Brandenberg - sophomore
Juvonte Reddic - sophomore
Bradford Burgess - senior
Treveon Graham - freshman
Jarred Guest - freshman
Heath Houston - redshirt freshman
Reco McCarter - redshirt freshman
Troy Daniels - junior
DJ Haley - sophomore
David Hinton - redshirt junior

Pretty much everyone was an unknown, and we saw how it turned out. So it's possible. Like I said in the MSS thread, if BMB gets to play immediately, and/or we land a reclassified Wheeler, we should have the size, depth, etc. to surprise people and maybe rise back to the top. But if those don't happen, a stopgap like Smith would still help. His free throw shooting would be a liability though. Our incoming freshmen are unproven but have been beasts against a lot of better competition that they won't see in the A10. So you never know.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
LOL. People are talking like we're too good to take a 6'9" one-year kid who played double-digit minutes in 94 games for a middle of the pack SEC team (and started 20). For our 13th spot? We should turn up our nose at a kid who is picking from VCU, UMd and ASU because over the summer a one year big who is much better will pop for us? People are dreaming.

We should take this commit, if we get it, like we're stealing. He'd be a very useful tool this coming year, if only as injury/foul protection and a sparing partner for Ward.

(EDIT: he started 31 games)
Based on VCU's success with attracting bigs we could be dreaming. Got to hope it starts somewhere.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014

Briante Weber - freshman
Darius Theus - junior
Jarred Guest - freshman
Troy Daniels - junior
DJ Haley - sophomore

Pretty much everyone was an unknown, and we saw how it turned out. So it's possible. Like I said in the MSS thread, if BMB gets to play immediately, and/or we land a reclassified Wheeler, we should have the size, depth, etc. to surprise people and maybe rise back to the top. But if those don't happen, a stopgap like Smith would still help. His free throw shooting would be a liability though. Our incoming freshmen are unproven but have been beasts against a lot of better competition that they won't see in the A10. So you never know.
1) 3 upperclassmen starters (Daniels, Theus, Burgess); one a proven, reliable producer; one a future NBA player.
2) Most of the kids were part of a Final 4 team (in various roles)
3) 2 frosh - future NBA players (and VCU icons)

Yes, a relatively young Ram team and somewhat unproven but with a very unique backstory (Final 4 experience/confidence) and playing in the CAA (Drexel as top competition).

Anything (of course) is possible in 2020-21; but great success with such a young group is highly unlikely.

Jul 27, 2017

Briante Weber - freshman
Darius Theus - junior
Jarred Guest - freshman
Troy Daniels - junior
DJ Haley - sophomore

Unfortunately we do not have one of the all time greats in his senior year for us next year. But I do agree with your point that we could surprise next year. I would say after St. Louis and FUR the A10 is pretty wide open. Tre, JMAC, and Hason all showed a lot of promise and I believe we will be good enough to be in the rotation next year and play well. Can one or two of those guys make a big jump in year two? That would be huge. I believe ACE and MBJ will be good very early and will also atleast be rotation players.

I agree next year may not be a rebuild but I would be very surprised to make the tourny. Would not be surprised to win 20+ games. Bones and ACE together may be the best point guard play we have had sense JeQuan's years

Reactions: LQuarles

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@GuardTheArc yes but at the time, no one knew or thought those guys would be future NBA players, just like today with the 2020 class. But when Bones bulks up, I can definitely see him in the NBA. He's already proven himself, and will be a leader as a sophomore. Everyone is going to feed off him, Ace, Jamir, and MBJ.

May 28, 2019
@GuardTheArc yes but at the time, no one knew or thought those guys would be future NBA players, just like today with the 2020 class. But when Bones bulks up, I can definitely see him in the NBA. He's already proven himself, and will be a leader as a sophomore. Everyone is going to feed off him, Ace, Jamir, and MBJ.
I could also see Ward in the NBA but he needs to bulk up. I think he can be special.

Reactions: LQuarles

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
That is the true joy of college basketball at this level...this could be a very entertaining team that will certainly be good enuff to knock off anybody in the A10 next year.

let’s hunt.
AMEN!!! Can’t wait to see how our coaching staff handles the additional slot(s) we have open.

May 1, 2009
Different dynamic but Duke and Kentucky do it every year.
I don't really think that Duke and Kentucky have to really work at recruiting a kid. They just have to figure out which ones they want to choose to play on their team.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Agreed but very rare to have 3 future NBA-quality kids on any non-P6 roster that’s not named Gonzaga. The 2011-12/13 era was certainly the exception with those three kids. Next year is still a rebuild (barring something quite unusual) and if I was planning the roster/schollies/player roles and managing public expectations, I’d approach it as such.

I’d pocket scholly #13 and see how things shake out over the next few months (perhaps even thru Dec) with transfers, decommits, etc. Some big-time kids who we’re pursuing or have pursued recently might choose, because of COVID or otherwise, to stay or come back close to home (or to their second/third school choice), especially if they hear VCU has an open scholly.

Teams that will be challenging this upcoming season include Davidson, UR, Rhody, Dayton, Duquesne, St Louis, Bonny, Mason, and UMass. The meat of the league is fairly balanced and competitive. Even GW, LaSalle, and St Joes could be tougher outs.

Reactions: duncanlamb