Recruiting 2020 Offers

Mar 2, 2014
So 7 of 9 returning and signed 7 or so. What does Dambrot do to decide, draw straws? He can only keep 13 right, so I guess he could ask players to pay their own way.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
So 7 of 9 returning and signed 7 or so. What does Dambrot do to decide, draw straws? He can only keep 13 right, so I guess he could aske players to pay there own way.
He has been doing it for years. Just Google him. All good to say a player does not fit in your plans but he has always gone to the extreme with his revolving door system. He is not doing it to rebuild. He did it at Akron. Whatever. To each their own. He just comes off to me as an AAU pay to play oh that guy is better who should I axe next slimeball. I am just more familiar with him now that he is in the A10 and I pay attention to what is happening with other teams.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
He has been doing it for years. Just Google him. All good to say a player does not fit in your plans but he has always gone to the extreme with his revolving door system. He is not doing it to rebuild. He did it at Akron. Whatever. To each their own. He just comes off to me as an AAU pay to play oh that guy is better who should I axe next slimeball. I am just more familiar with him now that he is in the A10 and I pay attention to what is happening with other teams.
As the transfer portal blows up due to potential rules changes, you are going to see more coaches recruit like Dambrot. College basketball is changing, and it's not for the good. College basketball is creating it's own version of free agency. And that free agency is going to go both ways. Players are going to jump to other schools and schools are going to cut players that aren't performing.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Do you think that's why we laid the hammer down on Akron in 2013?

May 1, 2009
Not sure why everyone is jumping on Dambrot. Except for this year we too have had to replace 4-6 players over the last 2 years due to transfer....and a number of them were NOT based on players choice from what I understand or have read here. Some of you spew chunky monkey all over Dambrot but completely ignore the fact that a number of our players have basically been told, "You are going to be at the end of the bench and won't get court time so you might wanna think about getting going elsewhere."....Ok, I guess that is kind of a paraphrase, but a number of kids have said it wasn't their choice.
I think that both Dambrot and MR will have fewer transfers once they get their own players in place and have had a few year to stabilize the roster with the talent they deem necessary to win.

Reactions: CAAFan66 and Newboy

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I don't think anyone was sending anyone else a message. it was kind of a perfect storm if I recall. Akron had something going on, injuries, suspensions, I don't remember, and were really short handed, especially in ball handlers. Not a good position to be in against HAVOC.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@Ramlove81 yup and we pressed all game (the excuse from fans back then was "we press all the time, that's what we do"), and Troy shot 11 3s against that shorthanded team. The game was over at halftime.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
@Ramlove81 yup and we pressed all game (the excuse from fans back then was "we press all the time, that's what we do"), and Troy shot 11 3s against that shorthanded team. The game was over at halftime.
But the sending Michigan a message makes no sense. Blow someone out so the next ream will not take you lightly. OK. If shaka was trying to make a point, I don't think it was to Michigan.

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
Our 2011-12 roster, the winningest in school history:

Briante Weber - freshman
Teddy Okereafor - freshman
Darius Theus - junior
Rob Brandenberg - sophomore
Juvonte Reddic - sophomore
Bradford Burgess - senior
Treveon Graham - freshman
Jarred Guest - freshman
Heath Houston - redshirt freshman
Reco McCarter - redshirt freshman
Troy Daniels - junior
DJ Haley - sophomore
David Hinton - redshirt junior

Pretty much everyone was an unknown, and we saw how it turned out. So it's possible. Like I said in the MSS thread, if BMB gets to play immediately, and/or we land a reclassified Wheeler, we should have the size, depth, etc. to surprise people and maybe rise back to the top. But if those don't happen, a stopgap like Smith would still help. His free throw shooting would be a liability though. Our incoming freshmen are unproven but have been beasts against a lot of better competition that they won't see in the A10. So you never know.
True - though the '81 team had a higher winning percentage. Also, the 2012 team had Shaka, Rhoades, and Will Wade coaching. Like them or hate them - together that is a pretty good group.
Still - you make a good point. The lineup on paper is not always a great predictor of success (think last season).