2020 transfer news/targets

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Barring some very unusual circumstance, the overwhelming majority of quality, in-demand non-P6 kids (like Marfo, Erik Stevenson, Ryan Bentley) who have P6 offers to transfer (GT or otherwise) will ultimately take one of those P6 offers (generally with encouragement/pressure from friends, family, peers, etc). They've tasted the non-P6 level/life and they see this P6 opportunity as their last chance to be on the big stage and associated with these high-level programs for life (alum, wear the gear, attend games/functions, play in big arenas, etc). It takes a very special coach/program to convince a non-P6 kid to bypass P6 offers and finish his career at another non-P6 school (a la Alterique Gilbert) - Gonzaga (Few) and Wichita St (Marshall) are examples.

Realistically, we'd probably have a better shot at a P6 grad transferring "down" to us (a la Terrance Shannon or a Curtis Jones or a Darius Thompson).

You'd think a (flagship-level) school in a multi-bid Top 8 conference w/ 8 of 9 NCAA appearances would be a lightning rod for "quality D-1 transfer" scenarios (studs from lower tier schools like Marcus Evans/Korey Billbury, undervalued PT-starved guys from P6 schools like Jamie Skeen/Wil Fameni or Ibi Watson or Stanford Robinson). IMO, we have not harvested this talent market to the level our Top 50 program status would suggest/warrant.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@GuardTheArc 5 of those 8 wins came in one season 9 years ago. Most of these current kids have grown up through our losses and coaching changes. The hype has worn off a little. That's the main reason we need coaching consistency and some NCAA wins now more than ever. Glad the 2020 class trusted Rhoades enough to commit before it's too late.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
after a season where some were all doom and destruction about the state of the program it's noteworthy that we were in the conversation for the first premier "free agent" in college basketball

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
Is it really noteworthy? Dude went somewhere else.
ok, if you think that of all the schools he could have said he was considering the fact that we were in the mix after the season we just had is meaningless I don't give a fudge. thanks though.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I think grad transfers making lists smacks of look at me. Guess he missed out on people caring since he went to someplace called Quintillionicac.
I mean, the only reason I mentioned it was at this point in the post season transfer rodeo he was the biggest fish according to what I have seen 🤷‍♂️

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I mean, the only reason I mentioned it was at this point in the post season transfer rodeo he was the biggest fish according to what I have seen 🤷‍♂️
I have no issue with what you said or the others said in response. I know nothing about that guy other than he was rebounder from the MAAC. I guess Buzz really wanted him.