2020 transfer news/targets

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
That said, at this stage, he’ll probably stand pat with all incoming frosh and rising sophs (if they’re onboard). They, collectively, likely represent most of our future and P6-level upside (if it exists). However, all rising juniors/seniors (minus MSS), along with the last open scholly, “should” be open to scrutiny, analysis, and potential roster upgrades (4 roster spots).
100% agreed

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Next season's roster, barring transfers in/out:

Baldwin - PG
Hyland - PG/wing
Clark - PG/wing
McAllister - wing
Curry - wing
Banks - wing
Watkins - wing
Williams - wing/big
Brown-Jones - big
Douglas - big
MSS - big
Ward - big

Do we really need another logjam at wing? Or do we still want an older wing and maybe redshirt someone? People already complain enough about our minutes management. Yes our roster will be unproven, but I have faith in most of these guys' abilities to shoot, create their own shots, and get buckets, given the top competition they have all played against so far. I'm still holding out hope for one more big man for 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Next season's roster, barring transfers in/out:

Baldwin - PG
Hyland - PG/wing
Clark - PG/wing
McAllister - wing
Curry - wing
Banks - wing
Watkins - wing
Williams - wing/big
Brown-Jones - big
Douglas - big
MSS - big
Ward - big

Do we really need another logjam at wing? Or do we still want an older wing and maybe redshirt someone? People already complain enough about our minutes management. Yes our roster will be unproven, but I have faith in most of these guys' abilities to shoot, create their own shots, and get buckets, given the top competition they have all played against so far. I'm still holding out hope for one more big man for 2020.
There is one person on that list of 12 players that has proven he can shoot, and he's not a wing. The 4 returners you listed at the wing combined for 21.3% shooting (17/80) from deep last year.

Meanwhile, we have 5 bigs on a team that plays small. We need a 6th one more than we need more than one person on the team that isn't an awful shooter?

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@2012Ram I already stated that we'll be unproven, but I have faith in the newcomers, and most of the others aren't close to their ceilings. We agree on the shooting woes. And it's not a given that we'll keep playing small, just an assumption. But this is coming from someone who is fine with patiently taking some more lumps next season (like most young/inexperienced teams) as long as we show improvement. And I still think next season will be a breath of fresh air, especially regarding hustle, rebounding, and toughness. Ace and an improved Bones alone will automatically make everyone else better. I can see a lot of nice assists and open shots made, almost everyone has good shooting form.

There's also the chance that we get a grad transfer wing who is good, but that Banks/Watkins also turn out to be as good as advertised and need good minutes, McAllister's shot starts matching everything else good about him, and Williams stays healthy and improves as well. That can cause more chemistry issues.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
@2012Ram I already stated that we'll be unproven, but I have faith in the newcomers, and most of the others aren't close to their ceilings. We agree on the shooting woes. And it's not a given that we'll keep playing small, just an assumption. But this is coming from someone who is fine with taking some more lumps next season (like most young/inexperienced teams) as long as we show improvement. And I still think next season will be a breath of fresh air, especially regarding hustle, rebounding, and toughness. Ace and an improved Bones alone will automatically make everyone else better. I can see a lot of nice assists and open shots made, almost everyone has good shooting form.
We have taken “ lumps” two of the last three years....get better anyway you can.

May 4, 2012
@2012Ram I already stated that we'll be unproven, but I have faith in the newcomers, and most of the others aren't close to their ceilings. We agree on the shooting woes. And it's not a given that we'll keep playing small, just an assumption. But this is coming from someone who is fine with taking some more lumps next season (like most young/inexperienced teams) as long as we show improvement. And I still think next season will be a breath of fresh air, especially regarding hustle, rebounding, and toughness. Ace and an improved Bones alone will automatically make everyone else better. I can see a lot of nice assists and open shots made, almost everyone has good shooting form.
While i hope Baldwin gets ahead of the learning curve its risky to count on it.
I hold some hope that we've upgraded the ream BBIQ level which will help shooting (especially if we play two bigs) we will just have to see if that materializes.
As you say, lets set the bar at seeing improvement. Thats possible. Anything more would be a nice side of gravy.