2020 transfer news/targets

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
hahaha we don't need a wing??? we need everything we can get right now. this team will have some talent but it's mostly young and raw and going to be totally inconsistent. I'd say right now if we are trying to actually win right now we need improved shooting from every position. Bones is the only guy proven to score and shoot well from outside.
I agree we do need improved shooting. However, we dont need a wing at the expense of a solid big. If we cannot get a big then get a wing that is athletic and can score. Fwiw, this kids shooting percentage in the weaker IVY league isn't all the impressive. Its solid but not eye popping.

Ace can score, Bones cans score and he most assuredly will be off the ball a lot next year. Josh Banks will fill in nicely.

Finally, you add a good big we are a different team and most likely headed to the post season. You add us a shooter who's not exactly lights out we might be better but it doesnt boost us into the tournament hands down.

So as much as we need shooting another wing doesnt move the needle as much as a similarly talented big. MSS is great but the kid is 6'6 and he kind of wore down as the season progressed.

Reactions: wavevcu

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I agree we do need improved shooting. However, we dont need a wing at the expense of a solid big. If we cannot get a big then get a wing that is athletic and can score. Fwiw, this kids shooting percentage in the weaker IVY league isn't all the impressive. Its solid but not eye popping.

Ace can score, Bones cans score and he most assuredly will be off the ball a lot next year. Josh Banks will fill in nicely.
I'm hopeful that our freshman class is full of studs, but I'm amazed that someone can belittle the accomplishments of a D1 player while simultaneously claiming to know an incoming freshman 'can score'.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@Violet Ram I think that can easily be said about Ace. His fundamentals and court vision should easily translate to this level and beyond. He has a legit, old-school jump shot, in that he actually rises and shoots over everyone bigger than him, and he's deceptively quick. He sees the whole court, and can make great passes with his eyes closed. He also clearly has the work ethic, and holds himself and his teammates accountable. Definitely can be a court leader as a freshman. I think we'll say "Ace & Bones" in a sentence a lot next year.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I'm hopeful that our freshman class is full of studs, but I'm amazed that someone can belittle the accomplishments of a D1 player while simultaneously claiming to know an incoming freshman 'can score'.
Why do some on this board think in such a binary fashion. If you dont gush all over the guy then you hate him. I didnt "belittle the guy". I stated he wasn't a lights out shooter. That's a fact unless you think shooting .429 from the floor and .360 is lights out shooting. I dont think it is especially he played in a lower level Ivy league. Also, the guy had nearly as many assists as turnovers.

The kid is a 6'5 wing that wasn't amongst the elite in the Ivy this year. He did make 2nd team two years ago. Also, he could possibly help a team that needs his specific services. I hear Louisville is giving him a look. That might work there because the might need his one specific skill or have a role for him. But at VCU we need more than just shooting or just a role player.

Also, I made the statement about an incoming freshmen based on Basketball professionals I know in the Baltimore area who have stated the Ace can score the ball and that we got a steal with this one.

I stated we need a big more than another wing as a solid big would transform this team. Where as a good shooter while improving us doesn't guarantee the needle will move much.

Finally, I hope that clears it up for you and you're amazement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celticguy

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm still holding out hope for one more big man for 2020.
I totally agree with this last part. I know that we live in an era where there's less emphasis on the traditional 1(PG),2(SG),3(SF),4(PF),5(C) that many of us came up with...but "Big" is too nebulous in my mind.
MSS is basically a PF...emphasis on rebounding, back to the basket, toughness. MR was asking him to play as a Center with Wings/Guards who had dodgy jump shots.

Douglas/Ward are PF height minus the beef/polish and, well...Power. They certainly help with rebounding/blocks...but there's not much offensive polish there and their hands are so-so and they both seem unable to create their own shot.

Imagine if VCU could put out a legit Center?? Or another PF type?? MSS and Center/PF would support each other and open up myriad offensive options, many high percentage shots. Add in better rebounding and rim protection and you got yourself a frontcourt. No offense to Corey....but when he and MSS were on the court together? It was an interesting wrinkle, but one other teams could figure out as both guys have their limitations

We've seen P5 teams do this all the time, as they should....recruiting options abound....especially on those 6'10+ cats that can run all day and own the paint. We've also seen A10 teams employ a similar style over the years, maybe not with huge Centers...but with 2 PF types at a time
Toppin/Mikesell
Berry/Langevine URI (opened up things for Terrell/Matthews)
Gregg/Andoh SBU (opened up things for Adams/Mobley)
Evans/Loe SLU (opened up things for Jett and Co.)

Mo/Tillman is a combo that comes to mind...EVERY team is looking for those kinds of guys....But our Rams need a legit "Big" like a drowning man needs air.
Or....MR rolls out a team full of guys with great jumpshots....either/or :lol:

Reactions: LQuarles

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
@Violet Ram I think that can easily be said about Ace. His fundamentals and court vision should easily translate to this level and beyond. He has a legit, old-school jump shot, in that he actually rises and shoots over everyone bigger than him, and he's deceptively quick. He sees the whole court, and can make great passes with his eyes closed. He also clearly has the work ethic, and holds himself and his teammates accountable. Definitely can be a court leader as a freshman. I think we'll say "Ace & Bones" in a sentence a lot next year.
Not me, I'll just say Blackjack and...Craps!

• Haha
Reactions: ISwamRam
May 4, 2012
I totally agree with this last part. I know that we live in an era where there's less emphasis on the traditional 1(PG),2(SG),3(SF),4(PF),5(C) that many of us came up with...but "Big" is too nebulous in my mind.
MSS is basically a PF...emphasis on rebounding, back to the basket, toughness. MR was asking him to play as a Center with Wings/Guards who had dodgy jump shots.

Douglas/Ward are PF height minus the beef/polish and, well...Power. They certainly help with rebounding/blocks...but there's not much offensive polish there and their hands are so-so and they both seem unable to create their own shot.

Imagine if VCU could put out a legit Center?? Or another PF type?? MSS and Center/PF would support each other and open up myriad offensive options, many high percentage shots. Add in better rebounding and rim protection and you got yourself a frontcourt. No offense to Corey....but when he and MSS were on the court together? It was an interesting wrinkle, but one other teams could figure out as both guys have their limitations

We've seen P5 teams do this all the time, as they should....recruiting options abound....especially on those 6'10+ cats that can run all day and own the paint. We've also seen A10 teams employ a similar style over the years, maybe not with huge Centers...but with 2 PF types at a time
Toppin/Mikesell
Berry/Langevine URI (opened up things for Terrell/Matthews)
Gregg/Andoh SBU (opened up things for Adams/Mobley)
Evans/Loe SLU (opened up things for Jett and Co.)

Mo/Tillman is a combo that comes to mind...EVERY team is looking for those kinds of guys....But our Rams need a legit "Big" like a drowning man needs air.
Or....MR rolls out a team full of guys with great jumpshots....either/or :lol:
you can talk about positionless BB in NBA or elite teams and maybe it works but in real basketball you need two bigs on the floor unless you are looking to take advantage of specific matchups.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Some of you guys who are so convinced that we had all of this talent the last few years ought to go back and watch some games from 2011, 2015, etc. The differences become very obvious.
I watched the entire Kansas game the other night. We had some shooters on that team. Knocking down threes left and right. Joey Rodriguez was quick and handled the ball well. No comparison to the guys we have now.