2020 transfer news/targets

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Aw yiss, 6'4 guard.

15ppg 32% from deep (which isn't great, but unless my math is off it is much more than 20% from deep)
I won't pretend to know how much of a role he played, although 15ppg sounds like a decent one, but San Francisco wasn't half bad this year. Beat BYU (might have been when Childs was out or just after he came back), took Gonzaga to the wire twice. If it leads to a certain kind of roster rebalancing I'd support it.

Fork Union grad, FWIW. 65% at the line, he'll fit right in!

Jan 17, 2010
Encouraged to see the staff going after graduate transfers. If we can get a shooter I think we’ll be better than this year. Bones plus shooter means MSS has room to operate in the half court and Ward has room to run to the rim in transition when teams won’t be able to just pack the paint with no threat from the outside on fast breaks.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Were we recruiting Bishop before he signed with LSU or am I mistaken?
We were recruiting Bishop pretty hard before he committed to LSU. One nice thing is that he would have 3-years of eligibility and a lot of upside. Of interest is that we also recruited Minlend to some degree when he was at Fork Union. He was a high scoring wing at Concord High in North Carolina before matriculating at FU. He can really score and nail it from deep.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Brian Snow(247sports) has Charles Minlend, Jr. rated #12 of his top 20 graduate transfers at this juncture. Of interest, he has Carlik from Radford #2. It's early and these rankings will change. It does appear some players want to get closer to home perhaps because of the pandemic.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
so can someone with insight into how the process works answer this question for me, I have been wondering with so many transfers out there saying VCU has reached out or saying that VCU is in their "Top X" and additionally, any class of 2020 kids that might have received an offer/interest from VCU. Is it pretty much whoever says yes to us first gets the spot or if someone we had lower in the pecking order says yes but we really want someone higher do we tell them to wait until we hear back from these other guys or what?

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
so can someone with insight into how the process works answer this question for me, I have been wondering with so many transfers out there saying VCU has reached out or saying that VCU is in their "Top X" and additionally, any class of 2020 kids that might have received an offer/interest from VCU. Is it pretty much whoever says yes to us first gets the spot or if someone we had lower in the pecking order says yes but we really want someone higher do we tell them to wait until we hear back from these other guys or what?
There's a difference between "interest," "made contact," and "offered," and not all offers are the same. Some offers are, as you say, first come-first-served: if you say yes the spot is yours. Others are contingent (e.g., "if current player Y leaves, we'll take you").

Others, sad to say, are fabricated or simply window dressing: HS coach asks college coach to permit the word to get out that "X has offered" as a means of drawing interest from other schools, when no real offer was ever made.

Complicated.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
There's a difference between "interest," "made contact," and "offered," and not all offers are the same. Some offers are, as you say, first come-first-served: if you say yes the spot is yours. Others are contingent (e.g., "if current player Y leaves, we'll take you").

Others, sad to say, are fabricated or simply window dressing: HS coach asks college coach to permit the word to get out that "X has offered" as a means of drawing interest from other schools, when no real offer was ever made.

Complicated.
figured it was a big mess of a tangled web haha, appreciate your reply!

Reactions: N Mollen