2020 transfer news/targets

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Kareem thinks the GOAT debate is silliness, I agree with Kareem.

Excerpt from The Undefeated July 2018s

“These GOAT discussions are fun distractions while sitting around waiting for the pizza to be served,” Abdul-Jabbar told The Undefeated. “But they’re on a par with ‘Which superpower would you want most: flight or invisibility?’ Whether I’m included or not in anyone’s list doesn’t matter. I played my hardest and I helped my teammates. That’s the most important thing I walked away with.

“The reason there is no such thing as the GOAT is because every player plays under unique circumstances. We played different positions, under different rules, with different teammates, with different coaches. Every player has to adapt to their circumstances and find a way to excel. This isn’t Highlander. There can be more than one.”
Obviously flight

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
invisibility here, and you can darn sure bet I’d be spending a lot of time at practices and coaches sessions to blow up the jackalopes around here!
I would definitely ask you to verify whether or not the practices were in fact good prior to another L

• Haha
Reactions: PRock

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010

“These GOAT discussions are fun distractions while sitting around waiting for the pizza to be served,” Abdul-Jabbar told The Undefeated. “But they’re on a par with ‘Which superpower would you want most: flight or invisibility?’ Whether I’m included or not in anyone’s list doesn’t matter. I played my hardest and I helped my teammates. That’s the most important thing I walked away with.

“The reason there is no such thing as the GOAT is because every player plays under unique circumstances. We played different positions, under different rules, with different teammates, with different coaches. Every player has to adapt to their circumstances and find a way to excel. This isn’t Highlander. There can be more than one.”
Nice, and exactly what I would expect Kareem to say when asked. The guy is a class act on and off the court. However, I still prefer Kareem's game to Mike's. IMO he is the GOAT.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Nice, and exactly what I would expect Kareem to say when asked. The guy is a class act on and off the court. However, I still prefer Kareem's game to Mike's. IMO he is the GOAT.
So, you disagree with Kareem? Kareem would not like that, but he’d appreciate it.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
This confirms what I had thought might be the case with regards to the A-10:

Did Siena joining the A-10 put us over the top?
Excerpt from A-10 transfer out list
"Matt Johnson, 6-4, 180, G, Jr., St. Bonaventure (1.0 ppg)

Robert Planutis, 6-8, 200, F, Soph., St. Bonaventure (5.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg) – IPFW

Lorenzo Edwards, 6-8, 215, F, Jr., Saint Joseph’s (6.9 ppg, 5.1 rpg)

Chereef Knox, 6-5, 210, G, Fr., Saint Joseph’s (4.2 ppg)

KC Hankton, 6-7, 215, F, Soph., Saint Louis (1.2 ppg)

Sammy Friday IV, 6-9, 240, F, Grad, Siena (4.1 ppg)

Sy Chatman, 6-8, 220, F, Soph., UMass (5.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg – 6 games)

Keon Clergeot, 6-1, 185, G, Grad, UMass (5.0 ppg)

Samba Diallo, 6-7, 195, F, Soph., UMass (6.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg) – MANHATTAN

Sean East, 6-3, 185, G, Fr., UMass (9.3 ppg, 4.9 apg) – BRADLEY"

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
So, you disagree with Kareem? Kareem would not like that, but he’d appreciate it.
Dude, given me a break. This isn't about me agreeing or disagreeing. Its about my opinion. Some love Jordan, others Wilt, Bird, Kobe, Lebron etc. My GOAT is Kareem.

Like you Kareem is free to have his own opinion as to how he makes the determination. Last I check Kareem was a man, not a God. none of us have to agree with his thoughts and beliefs.

Fwiw, I thought you sent that last post not Kareem. Also, didnt know you knew the Big Fella like that. Never thought Kareem had a spokes person let alone a VCU alum. Impressive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Celticguy
Mar 1, 2015

Agree. I don’t see how you can distinguish between the great players and positively say one is better than the next. 90 percent of people say Michael Jordan is best ever. He is certainly on any list you want to make. But that unarguable view was established by a collaborative marketing effort by the NBA, NBC, and Nike. You could subtract Jordan and insert Kobe to the same results. Jordan had to wait for the Celtics and Pistons to get old to get past them. Shoot, if Len Bias and Reggie Lewis don’t die, Jordan may never have won a title, who knows. I'll stir some poop, Len Bias was bigger stronger better shooting version of Jordan. What a waste.

I will say Bill Russell does not get enough credit. He was basically unbeatable. Other than two early years in his career, the Celtics won the title every single year. Those Celtics teams had good players, Sam Jones and Hondo were All Stars, but there were many better players around at the time. Elgin Baylor and Jerry West were the most potent combo ever. Then they added Wilt, to most imposing and statistically dominant player ever. Any that team couldn’t beat Bill Russell. Crazy.

Tom Brady is nearly universally recognized as the best QB in NFL history. What if his situation was different, drafted by someone else. On many of the other NFL teams, he probably never makes it to a super bowl, let alone win one.

Fun shop talk though.

Reactions: PRock

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Dude, given me a break. This isn't about me agreeing or disagreeing. Its about my opinion. Some love Jordan, others Wilt, Bird, Kobe, Lebron etc. My GOAT is Kareem.

Like you Kareem is free to have his own opinion as to how he makes the determination. Last I check Kareem was a man, not a God. none of us have to agree with his thoughts and beliefs.

Fwiw, I thought you sent that last post not Kareem. Also, didnt know you knew the Big Fella like that. Never thought Kareem had a spokes person let alone a VCU alum. Impressive!
lighten up Francis....i was saying Kareem of all people would appreciate that you have your own opinions. Look for a fight elsewhere.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
This confirms what I had thought might be the case with regards to the A-10:

Not a big deal and not surprising. That’s about 2-3 per A-10 team (14 of them). Some A-10 schools aren’t the most desirable of programs/destinations. Some unhappy kids will stay at a Wisconsin or a Michigan just to get a Big Ten degree and be affiliated for life.

13 schollies per team annually. Players 1-9 generally get all the PT. Tough to keep schollies 10-13 happy with limited to no playing time, especially if your team/season/future is average/mediocre/uncertain. Kids want to play and maximize their 4 yrs. Factor in a grad transfer here and there and annual attrition of approx 3 (kids with remaining eligibility) per team on average sounds about right (and expected).

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Jerry Brewer of the Post wades into the GOAT/Kareem discussion (link).

When you put together every aspect of sports stardom and the positive potential of fame, it all adds up to a flattering conclusion: Abdul-Jabbar epitomizes a GOAT. He may not be your favorite GOAT, but you can’t have a credible herd without including him and placing him prominently. Put on your goggles and check the receipts.

Jan 16, 2020

Don't understand having single "GOAT" when basketball players have such widely varying positions with different skill sets and job descriptions. In baseball, you don't compare Pete Rose to Sandy Koufax; in football you don't compare Johnny Unitas with Jim Brown .... so why attempt to compare Bill Russell with Steph Curry? Jerry West with Willis Reed? It should "GOAT by Position." .

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
Not a big deal and not surprising. That’s about 2-3 per A-10 team (14 of them). Some A-10 schools aren’t the most desirable of programs/destinations. Some unhappy kids will stay at a Wisconsin or a Michigan just to get a Big Ten degree and be affiliated for life.

13 schollies per team annually. Players 1-9 generally get all the PT. Tough to keep schollies 10-13 happy with limited to no playing time, especially if your team/season/future is average/mediocre/uncertain. Kids want to play and maximize their 4 yrs. Factor in a grad transfer here and there and annual attrition of approx 3 (kids with remaining eligibility) per team on average sounds about right (and expected).
15 teams...you forgot Siena joining...

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

I'll try to tie this into vcu basketball...

here is rare footage of Wilt Chamberlain vs Michael Gilmore's Uncle Artis in the NBA/ABA all star game.

Reactions: Ululating Daddy