2020 transfer news/targets

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@2012Ram you say I exaggerate, when that's all you do to other people's arguments. No one said "guarantee" about anything. Being optimistic and saying the 20% is factually based on very limited shooting and limited minutes, so it shouldn't predict it'll be as bad next season, is not guaranteeing anything. It's saying what stats usually show. If I end up wrong in thinking our overall shooting will be much improved, then I'll be wrong. But I'm hardly wrong. 😄 It won't change that I'd rather grab another big man right now instead of a "proven" wing. And when I say the seniors, I exclude a healthy Evans. The season prior, yes I thought the guys weren't that talented, and Evans saved the heck out of the team. We would've just finished our third straight 18 win season, and Rhoades would already be fired, if not for a healthy Evans in 2019. And it's not a knock on Rhoades, it's the "Jimmy's and Joe's" being most important. I'm glad as heck that Evans came here, that Bones was a heck of a breath of fresh air, and our staff is absolutely recruiting their butts off now.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
@2012Ram you say I exaggerate, when that's all you do to other people's arguments. No one said "guarantee" about anything. Being optimistic and saying the 20% is factually based on very limited shooting and limited minutes, so it shouldn't predict it'll be as bad next season, is not guaranteeing anything. It's saying what stats usually show. If I end up wrong in thinking our overall shooting will be much improved, then I'll be wrong. But I'm hardly wrong. 😄 It won't change that I'd rather grab another big man right now instead of a "proven" wing. And when I say the seniors, I exclude a healthy Evans. The season prior, yes I thought the guys weren't that talented, and Evans saved the heck out of the team. We would've just finished our third straight 18 win season, and Rhoades would already be fired, if not for a healthy Evans in 2019. And it's not a knock on Rhoades, it's the "Jimmy's and Joe's" being most important. I'm glad as heck that Evans came here, that Bones was a heck of a breath of fresh air, and our staff is absolutely recruiting their butts off now.
Right, because there is a massive delta in the statements "I easily assume that everyone is going to get much better" and "I guarantee everyone is going to get better".

And that 20% shooting figure is from two of our returners that you "easily assume will shoot much better" , and it is factually based on over 1400 minutes combined over 100 games.

You know that good shooters don't just decide not to shoot the ball , and good coaches don't tell good shooters to not shoot the ball, right? Having so few attempts over 100 games is not some secret indicator that a player is potentially a good shooter, it's actually kind of the opposite.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@2012Ram easily assume = "easily think something is supposed to be the case, but without proof"

Guarantee = "a pledge, a promise, with proof"

I easily assume we will shoot much better next season. I guarantee Batts will never play for us.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
@2012Ram easily assume = "easily think something is supposed to be the case, but without proof"

Guarantee = "a pledge, a promise, with proof"
I'm aware of what both words mean. I am also aware that in the context, substituting "I easily assume" with "guarantee", especially with guarantee being used as a cliche for "I strongly predict" is not some insane exaggeration that totally misrepresents what you're trying to say. At least, not like trying to be clever and comparing high school ball to d1 ball.
I easily assume we will shoot much better next season. I guarantee Batts will never play for us.
Well, our 3p% was 106th in the country last year, the highest rank since our final four team. Not sure how we got to that point with soft, untalented and unfocused seniors shooting umpteen shots a game.

So I hope you're ready to stand by your "strong prediction that something will be the case" (BUT HEAVENS, NO, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE A GUARANTEE!) that now that those guys are gone, we will have our 2nd best 3p shooting team in the last decade.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I'm aware of what both words mean. I am also aware that in the context, substituting "I easily assume" with "guarantee", especially with guarantee being used as a cliche for "I strongly predict" is not some insane exaggeration that totally misrepresents what you're trying to say. At least, not like trying to be clever and comparing high school ball to d1 ball.
It doesn't mean you should put words in others' mouths all the time.
Well, our 3p% was 106th in the country last year, the highest rank since our final four team. Not sure how we got to that point with soft, untalented and unfocused seniors shooting umpteen shots a game.
Bones.
we will have our 2nd best 3p shooting team in the last decade.
That's not saying much. I've been waiting for the FF level shooting to become the norm, not the exception. Maybe a long-term coach will do that (looks at Gonzaga). Here's hoping!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2010
@2012Ram You're right that it is not just about being tall but he can also move from that limited video shared here. I'd rather have that size and speed combo than someone who is 6-6 or 6-7 to matchup against a team like Florida State (semi outlier because they seem to always have multiple 7 footers). If he can prove to stay in front of his guy and box out, bring him and his five fouls onto the court.

Reactions: KentuckyRam

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Our untalented seniors accounted for 65% of our shooting from deep. How deep in the sand is your head? Just incredible that you refuse to give them any credit.
That's not saying much. I've been waiting for the FF level shooting to become the norm, not the exception. Maybe a long-term coach will do that. Here's hoping!
I guess that kinda makes sense, because I could see how someone that thinks that bad shooters will magically become good ones when better shooters graduate would expect a ~top 50 3p shooting team every year.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Just looking back in here for actual news, but assuming all I am reading these last 4 pages put on since I went out and did a job and come back home would be... assumptions, right?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Just looking back in here for actual news, but assuming all I am reading these last 4 pages put on since I went out and did a job and come back home would be... assumptions, right?
Not sure if you are talking about the e-fight or the good information I provided about a potential signing.

• Haha
Reactions: HBK

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Stop putting words in others' mouths all the time.
C'mon now. Are you really going to say things like "it's been obvious our seniors weren't as talented or tough as people thought and it's clear our pair of 4ppg, 90ortg sophomores and unproven freshman have already shown more flashes of talent and have a much higher ceiling" and play dumb when someone read through the lines? I mean, you can't even admit that Deri was a great shooter, and refuse to acknowledge that the 5 of them were the biggest reason behind us having our best shooting team from deep in 10 years.

It's clear you think our seniors were untalented. Don't get bent out of shape when someone condenses the sentences of bullpoop weaselwords into one word.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@2012Ram I actually take vocabulary seriously. If the seniors were untalented, they wouldn't be playing college basketball anywhere. "Less talented" is much different. So again, don't put words in others' mouths to fit how your mind works. If I meant untalented, I would've said it. There's a reason one of them came from Maine, and most of us hoped he'd be a good scorer at our level.

So 33% is great shooting?

And take Bones out of the equation and see where our 3 pt shooting ranks.

Last edited: