2020 transfer news/targets

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, I have no idea. To my eye, he seemed to be more and more disinterested as the season went on and body language seemed off when he was talking to the coaches. Coupled with him graduating this summer and some comments from his family, just a hunch.
Bad body language with half the team hurt and opponents free to double and push him off his spots doesn't seem too strange to me.

Reactions: PRock

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Bad body language with half the team hurt and opponents free to double and push him off his spots doesn't seem too strange to me.
He was also playing injured and extended minutes due to the rash of team injuries.

He was playing 32-34 mpg rather than the usual 25.

He got tired and ran out of gas. Especially at the 10.minute mark.

Reactions: mrgeode

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Looks better than the other 7'1" players that are considering VCU.
I could give a poop less if he is 7'1, I just want a good player. I'd take a 6'9 dude with talent over a 7'3 stiff a hundred times out of a hundred (not saying this refers to the bacon dude at all)

Last edited:

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Such a weird year to be a grad transfer.

Option 1: grad transfer to a college with the very real possibility that there will be no college basketball season.

Option 2: attempt to go pro when pro teams/leagues around the world are going to be more cash-strapped because odds are if they play, they are playing in front of no fans until maybe next spring. Ask anyone who's played overseas how fun it's going to be trying to get your check from your European team during a pandemic.

This is a great year to be a sit out transfer however, because realistically, EVERYONE may be sitting out the year. Although a decent chance the sit-out year rule is overturned.

Reactions: connell

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
This guy providing another shot blocking threat on dribble drives and back door cuts in addition to Jr. Hasan Ward and Sophomore Mikeal Brown-Jones is a good thing alone...we need size against good teams...he may not be a star here but a good role player down low in a guard-driven system would do just fine by me. Uber-talented 7 footers don't grow on trees and they typically go upper P5..so maybe he's not uber-talented, but getting a 7footer with some skill and hustle and athleticism can absolutely help us in the A10. Lock it up and be happy and hope he at least meets...and maybe surpasses your expectations.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Beginning to doubt we signed someone...usually not as much lag time between the rumor mill and an official announcement (is there?) What could they be waiting for?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Beginning to doubt we signed someone...usually not as much lag time between the rumor mill and an official announcement (is there?) What could they be waiting for?
The person I was talking to yesterday wondered why it had not been announced as well.

Last edited:

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Could be any number of reasons. With schools closed, I am pretty sure the academic side is moving slower than normal. Transfer of records and things are probably taking just a little bit longer

Dec 16, 2013
He was also playing injured and extended minutes due to the rash of team injuries.

He was playing 32-34 mpg rather than the usual 25.

He got tired and ran out of gas. Especially at the 10.minute mark.
first MSS playing 25 minutes was a function of him being in foul trouble more often than not (that is, getting two early fouls and sitting 5-7 extra minutes ) ( a pet peeve I hated was that so many of MSS' fouls were 30 feet from the basket or more which are not a good use of his 5 fouls - like when he hedged the high ball screen on D and made body contact with the dribbler)
if any one of our athletes are not able to play 32-34 minutes a game at a high level in January through March, we either should never have recruited them or coaches are not doing a good job getting them in shape and/or keeping them in shape
MR doesn't play a 40 minutes full court press game and we are not an offensive team that plays at an ultra fast pace - no reason our best player/s should not be playing 32-34 minutes a game ( i will admit I am more a proponent of a tight 8-9 man rotation during conference play as the norm and not 11-12 man rotation - ticks off good players when they only play 26 minutes )
As to playing injured I am not in the circle to know if he was or wasn't (though I am a believer if you are injured you sit - I don't want someone playing at 65-75% - I want someone that is 90-100% on the court -

Reactions: Newboy

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I could give a poop less if he is 7'1, I just want a good player. I'd take a 6'9 dude with talent over a 7'3 stiff a hundred times out of a hundred (not saying this refers to the bacon dude at all)
agreed.

I'll give you a great example. The precursor to Kevin Durrant