2020 transfer news/targets

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Meh. I'd take McLung if he wanted VCU, I suppose (subject to the staff taking the temp in the locker room), but he shoots A TON at a 39% clip. A high volume, inefficient scorer is not exactly what we need. And there was reportedly serious acrimony between McLung and the other guards on that team.

I have no first hand knowledge of the situation of course, and even if this rumor is true, I have no idea who was "responsible," but a high volume (he took 50% more shots per game last year than DJ on average and would have been the highest volume shooter on the team BY FAR), inefficient shooter is not really the sort of player likely to endear himself to team mates.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
With possible exception of Eric Maynor, McClung may be best all-round guard I've seen perform at The Stu .... dazzled all in attendance in leading Gate City to State title.
We aren't chasing McClung.

The schools that have reached out to McClung so far are Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas, USC, BYU, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Utah, Arizona State, Oklahoma State and Georgia, sources tell 247Sports.

Reactions: Newboy

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Meh. I'd take McLung if he wanted VCU, I suppose (subject to the staff taking the temp in the locker room), but he shoots A TON at a 39% clip. A high volume, inefficient scorer is not exactly what we need. And there was reportedly serious acrimony between McLung and the other guards on that team.

I have no first hand knowledge of the situation of course, and even if this rumor is true, I have no idea who was "responsible," but a high volume (he took 50% more shots per game last year than DJ on average and would have been the highest volume shooter on the team BY FAR), inefficient shooter is not really the sort of player likely to endear himself to team mates.

2 great articles related to McClung's departure and the number of player whom have transferred under Ewings watch.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@VRam that clip is what Rhoades said in today's interview in a nutshell (paraphrasing): good players make a coach look good. Imagine Ewing coaching MSS. 😂

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010

N Mollen we are on the same page. The kid shoots a ton he is a highlight machine but do we need a high volume shooter who cannot lead us anywhere? Nope. Pass.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
For many of the same concerns, rammad90 always insisted Pete Maravich was over rated.
If Riff Raff's cousin can throw an underhand pass the length of the court and hit his target in rhythm for a layup like Pistol Pete, I'd say take him.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
For many of the same concerns, rammad90 always insisted Pete Maravich was over rated.
I was not around for Maravich in college. Unbelievable that he was able to score so many points without a 3-point line and not being able to play his freshman season. I bet he was incredibly fun to watch although his team's record was close to .500 during his career. Maravich was dogged his entire career because he was not a big winner. He was a showman of supreme talent though.

Reactions: mrgeode