Schedule 2021-22 Schedule

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I say play the best opponent you can find. It's an exhibition game and this team is young. They need to be tested out of the gate. Atlantis is the 5th game of the season and VCU needs to find a point guard to replace Ace until he is healthy enough to return. RMC is not going to do that.
The problem is that the exhibition game can't be against a D-I opponent. VUU and VSU aren't exactly strong D-II teams. They were good in the CIAA, but the CIAA is a weak D-II conference.

RMC was ranked #1 in the final D-III poll last season and #3 in the final D-III poll in 2019-20. I honestly think they'd be more of a challenge than VUU or VSU despite playing in a lower division.

Queens (NC) was #22 in the final D-II coaches' poll, but I don't expect to ever play them again since the only reason we played them in the first place was that Wes Long used to coach there, and we no longer have that connection. (Plus, they beat us.)

The team will undoubtedly get tested during the annual closed scrimmage they typically have before the Black & Gold game.

I
I say play the best opponent you can find. It's an exhibition game and this team is young. They need to be tested out of the gate. Atlantis is the 5th game of the season and VCU needs to find a point guard to replace Ace until he is healthy enough to return. RMC is not going to do that.
understand your sentiment but don't the Rams typically have a few (or at least one) closed stealth scrimmages against competition like UVA that provides a sterner test and opportunity to assess progress
I have always looked at the public exhibition as a chance for the newbies to play under the bright lights and for the team as a whole getting a dry run on the game day experience - coaches typically want the end result to be a W - and also give the fans a show and hopefully create enthusiasm around the upcoming season
But I fully appreciate your point of view