Schedule 2021-22 Schedule

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
VCU backed out of the deal due to a small window LSU gave VCU to play the game this year. VCU's schedule did not align with LSU's window to play the game.
Yeah, VCU chose to take the high road and just say LSU will not be on the schedule with no further comment. LSU decided to say that they tried. The issue in scheduling is some flexibility on both sides. To top it all off last year Wade contracted COVID and the game was scrapped. VCU took a JMU game and LSU played Nicholls on a Saturday that VCU had free (I think JMU was before Christmas and LSU played the day after Christmas). VCU could not have been happy about that last year since the game still could have been salvaged. I wonder if that had anything to do with how the dates being scheduled this year were received by both parties. Scheduling has to be a headache with contractual dates set and other teams offering times and days.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
We lost the 2020-2021 game at flsu because of Covid, but it was going to be rescheduled for 2021-2022. That game has now been called off.

Wolfpack Ram (see post above) says it's because they gave us a small window to play. I didn't see that publicly, although I might have missed it. He also seems to have some insider information, and maybe he's sharing that with us now. If so, thanks for assist, Wolfpack Ram.
I was told directly by someone at VCU that LSU was the reason this game isn’t being played. If they really wanted the game, then they could have forced it on us since they already played at our place as part of the agreement.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I was told directly by someone at VCU that LSU was the reason this game isn’t being played. If they really wanted the game, then they could have forced it on us since they already played at our place as part of the agreement.
That's not how it works. It was LSUs responsibility to play a H&H when they bought out Wades contract. LSU and VCU did not enter into a contract for a H&H. VCU was the only party that could relieve the other of a contractual duty.

Reactions: wavevcu

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
That's not how it works. It was LSUs responsibility to play a H&H when they bought out Wades contract. LSU and VCU did not enter into a contract for a H&H. VCU was the only party that could relieve the other of a contractual duty.
I’m betting that the game last year getting canceled because of Covid changed the legal equation.

Dec 16, 2013
would expect a VCU person to say that - cannot imagine someone at VCU saying VCU was the reason the game was not played
my take is that MR was okay to put the game off a year to allow our new players to get their feet on the ground - Guessing also WW has lots of unknowns with his team so he was probably happy to defer for another year and that maybe why they provided such a small window to play.
if Bones was still here I would expect VCU would have accepted the date/s LSU offered
LSU could buy out of remaining obligation under the WW contract - my thinking is if they don't want to play us LSU has plenty of money to do just that - the fact they have not bought out implies to me they want to play us there but not until WW has a stronger team

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I can’t imagine that we would pass up a P5 game that would possibly be a Q1 game and then sign a Vandy game that will likely be Q2. That wouldn’t be smart.

Apr 20, 2009
Yeah, VCU chose to take the high road and just say LSU will not be on the schedule with no further comment. LSU decided to say that they tried. The issue in scheduling is some flexibility on both sides. To top it all off last year Wade contracted COVID and the game was scrapped. VCU took a JMU game and LSU played Nicholls on a Saturday that VCU had free (I think JMU was before Christmas and LSU played the day after Christmas). VCU could not have been happy about that last year since the game still could have been salvaged. I wonder if that had anything to do with how the dates being scheduled this year were received by both parties. Scheduling has to be a headache with contractual dates set and other teams offering times and days.
AA - Nicholls is about an hour bus ride from Baton Rouge. That game was scheduled last minute after VCU had already scheduled JMU. LSU lost 3 games bcuz of Covid. Not just the VCU game. All the games they lost were in Dec. There was NO opportunity to reschedule unfortunately. It was not salvageable as you implied.

LSU has NO games scheduled between Dec 1 & 14 for next season. I would not call that a "small window" of opportunity.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Ok…so here is what we………….the fans know. VCU/LSU will not happen during the regular season this year. That is all. Let me go on record now before the season even begins and say that if both teams make the dance we will be in the same region

Feb 8, 2010
Ok…so here is what we………….the fans know. VCU/LSU will not happen during the regular season this year. That is all. Let me go on record now before the season even begins and say that if both teams make the dance we will be in the same region
Nah, we'll somehow get matched up with Akron and/or Wichita State again. :?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
AA - Nicholls is about an hour bus ride from Baton Rouge. That game was scheduled last minute after VCU had already scheduled JMU. LSU lost 3 games bcuz of Covid. Not just the VCU game. All the games they lost were in Dec. There was NO opportunity to reschedule unfortunately. It was not salvageable as you implied.

LSU has NO games scheduled between Dec 1 & 14 for next season. I would not call that a "small window" of opportunity.
I gotcha. I have no idea what they offered in that window for this year. I also don't know what happened last year but there was definitely some saltiness. Seems like that Nicholls game on a Saturday could have been VCU but maybe it could not be worked. Anyway, I wash my hands of them :D

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wagner is coached by a name older Rams fans should remember, Bashir Mason, who played at Drexel for Bruiser Flint.
If I remember correctly Bashir Mason hit a winning shot that practically came out of nowhere and was nothing more than a prayer to beat us in the closing seconds of a game against one of our Capel coached teams. Bruiser was stomping and flailing his arms until the shot was made, at which point he started jumping up and down exultantly. Capel approaced Bruiser to shake his hand, but Flint held out his arms as if to give him a big hug. Jeff was having none of it and briefly stood there with his hand outstretched. Finally they shook hands and Jeff walked back to the locker room.

Jan 16, 2020
Okay, so they couldn't work it out for 2021-22 - understandable .... so why not VCU at LSU in some future season? VCU is coming out of this looking like a bandit. All that's missing is Briante stealing Will Wade's laptop.