Recruiting 2021 Offers

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

“They really love my game,” Durugordon said. “Coach Scott and I text a lot, almost everyday, just telling me about how he can get me to the NBA and how their program will really support me, help me develop my game and reach my potential.” “Coach Scott actually came to one of my workouts early in my season this year and liked me a lot,” he said. “They’ve also been watching a lot of film on me. Coach Rhoades, coach Scott and myself have just been building that relationship for a month and a half now.”

He'll decide based on:

“Number one, the relationship with the coaching staff and especially my relationship with the head coach,” he said. The relationship with the head coach really matters to me because that’s who I’m going to be playing for so I definitely want to know about him and how he thinks of me. I really want to feel comfortable with the whole coaching staff prior to me committing.” He is also factoring in his communication with each school.

“Another thing that I’m going to value a lot before I commit is just throughout the recruiting process, how much were they contacting me, texting me every day, giving me phone calls and just being accountable throughout the recruiting process,” he said. “If they said they were going to call me tomorrow and they did, then they’re being accountable to their word, stuff like that. That matters a lot to me because it shows they’re on top of their work, being noble and staying with their word.

Durugordon mentioned fit as another key factor in his decision. “I’ve been going over film, seeing what type of system they run,” he said. “Seeing that they value a position less system [is important], because I’m the type of person that can play all over the floor. I’m looking for a team that is not so set on ‘oh you’re a shooting guard so you’re just going to shoot’. I’m looking for a system where I can play all over the floor, being a playmaker, playing in the post if I have a mismatch. I’m looking for that system too.”

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009

“They really love my game,” Durugordon said. “Coach Scott and I text a lot, almost everyday, just telling me about how he can get me to the NBA and how their program will really support me, help me develop my game and reach my potential.” “Coach Scott actually came to one of my workouts early in my season this year and liked me a lot,” he said. “They’ve also been watching a lot of film on me. Coach Rhoades, coach Scott and myself have just been building that relationship for a month and a half now.”

He'll decide based on:

“Number one, the relationship with the coaching staff and especially my relationship with the head coach,” he said. The relationship with the head coach really matters to me because that’s who I’m going to be playing for so I definitely want to know about him and how he thinks of me. I really want to feel comfortable with the whole coaching staff prior to me committing.” He is also factoring in his communication with each school.

“Another thing that I’m going to value a lot before I commit is just throughout the recruiting process, how much were they contacting me, texting me every day, giving me phone calls and just being accountable throughout the recruiting process,” he said. “If they said they were going to call me tomorrow and they did, then they’re being accountable to their word, stuff like that. That matters a lot to me because it shows they’re on top of their work, being noble and staying with their word.

Durugordon mentioned fit as another key factor in his decision. “I’ve been going over film, seeing what type of system they run,” he said. “Seeing that they value a position less system [is important], because I’m the type of person that can play all over the floor. I’m looking for a team that is not so set on ‘oh you’re a shooting guard so you’re just going to shoot’. I’m looking for a system where I can play all over the floor, being a playmaker, playing in the post if I have a mismatch. I’m looking for that system too.”
Based on what he says he’s looking for, it sure sounds like we’re a good fit.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Followed him on twitter, looked at some of his highlights there. This kid is good, real good. I hope we can get him. 6'7", not skinny either, runs the floor, good handle, scores at three levels, very nice stroke on his shot whether from three feet or the three point line. Not much of him playing D, but what there was he was playing the point on their press, long, quick, and active, hard to get the ball around and blocked a few shots too.

Reactions: N Mollen

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
On the heels of two large recruiting classes (2019 - 4 kids; 2020 - 4 kids), we effectively have 9 underclassmen (also counting BMB - a soph for all intents and purposes). As a result, there is no "clear path to playing time" right now for future recruits (like there was prior to last season w/ 7-8 upperclassmen including 5 seniors). It's going to be tough to land high-level recruits under this current circumstance when potential (playing time) logjams now exist everywhere -- another reason for balancing the classes.

That being said, Mike and his staff are, first and foremost, salesmen. Big-time D-1 hoops is big business. Mike is essentially the "Sales Manager" of a borderline Top 50 "company/program," his assistants (Brunt, Scott, Byers) are effectively "Account Managers," and the Top 100 HS recruits are like large accounts. Once you land one (if you land one), those "accounts" need to be serviced properly/coddled in order to bear fruit. If you can do so, it can be a career/program-changer.

Long story short.............Mike and his team need to "ABC" (Always Be Closing). The staff will ultimately need to land some "difference-makers" (Top 100-level kids) at some point along the way in order to maintain their, and the program's, upward mobility.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
On the heels of two large recruiting classes (2019 - 4 kids; 2020 - 4 kids), we effectively have 9 underclassmen (also counting BMB - a soph for all intents and purposes). As a result, there is no "clear path to playing time" right now for future recruits (like there was prior to last season w/ 7-8 upperclassmen including 5 seniors). It's going to be tough to land high-level recruits under this current circumstance when potential (playing time) logjams now exist everywhere -- another reason for balancing the classes.

That being said, Mike and his staff are, first and foremost, salesmen. Big-time D-1 hoops is big business. Mike is essentially the "Sales Manager" of a borderline Top 50 "company/program," his assistants (Brunt, Scott, Byers) are effectively "Account Managers," and the Top 100 HS recruits are like large accounts. Once you land one (if you land one), those "accounts" need to be serviced properly/coddled in order to bear fruit. If you can do so, it can be a career/program-changer.

Long story short.............Mike and his team need to "ABC" (Always Be Closing). The staff will ultimately need to land some "difference-makers" (Top 100 kids) at some point along the way in order to maintain their, and the program's, upward mobility.
We lose one 2 bugs next year: Stockard and Douglas. We seem to attempting to fill the spot with 1 long athletic,versatile wing and 1 lonf, athletic ,v ersatile big or 2 long, athletic, versatile bigs. Both will get alot of playing time due to versatility.