Recruiting 2021 Offers

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
That's just ridiculous. Did you see last year's class? The #3, 6, and 9 recruits in VCU's history. Three of the all-time top 10s in a single class.

Be patient grasshopper.
Thats why this class is so critical...got to stack solid classes together to get back to where we expect this program to be

Jun 29, 2017
That's just ridiculous. Did you see last year's class? The #3, 6, and 9 recruits in VCU's history. Three of the all-time top 10s in a single class.

Be patient grasshopper.
Well said. And the number of final lists we're on, even if we're not the ultimate choice - says a lot about having a shot. We're definitely in these races.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
I'm old enough to remember when it felt like we had a shot at landing highly coveted recruits.

HA so all it takes is missing out on ONE recruit and the sky is falling? Hate to break it to you old timer but there will be plenty more. We can't have a roster of 50 the last time I checked.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Through years of posts, I think I have more than established a well-deserved and hard-won reputation for not knowing WTF is going on, and I am sure I could get an overwhelming vote of support here for that proposition.

But I am confident that Felton was like 5th on our wish list at that position. I think he went with ECU because that was the best committable offer he had, and I doubt she is being inundated by Ram fans wanting to know if "we were his second choice." I think (subject to point #1 in this post) that he was told he'd have to wait to see how we fared with a list of others, and he chose (wisely in my view) to take the bird in the hand
But you usually know at least a little more than me. So, I listen to you anyway.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Thats why this class is so critical...got to stack solid classes together to get back to where we expect this program to be
It's actually not a "critical" class.............and it'll be a small one anyway (1-2 recruits).

After back-to-back 4-man classes plus BMB (in wait) -- i.e. nine kids, we are loaded w/ frosh/soph. It's highly unlikely we'll be able to land a sought-after 4-star/P6-offered recruit on the heels of those two classes. There's no longer a "clear path to playing time" for new recruits and we've certainly lost some cache on the trail and as a program in general.

Over the past two yrs, we had an upperclassmen-heavy roster and thus future playing time was evident/abundant for incoming prospects (like it is now for UR and other senior-laden squads). It's how/why we were able to land two large/decent (on paper) classes.

I wouldn't expect a high-level recruit to sign with us right now given our current roster construction (essentially nine underclassmen). There's no "elbow room" at the (playing time) table.

Mike (and the program) will live or die with the current nine (9) underclassmen. That's the route he (and the staff) has chosen.

Prediction: Mike has 1-3 years remaining as VCU head coach. If he dances over the next 3 years, he gets a P6 offer and takes it (P6's mine the Tier 2 schools first when they have a coaching vacancy -- A-10, AAC, MWC, WCC, etc). If he doesn't dance, he's dismissed (1 for 6 NCAA appearances pulling $1.5M+ annually). In that case, Ed will be gone too.

Capel = 1 NCAA (Oklahoma offer; gone)
Grant = 2 NCAAs (Alabama offer; gone)
Smart = 5 NCAAs* (Texas offer, gone) *had P6 offers after 2 NCAAs
Wade - 2 NCAAs (LSU offer, gone)
Rhoades = next/second NCAA (P6 offer, gone)

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
VCU and Mason were the runners up, I hear.
I would be sad if I had been following it. I am so out of the loop these days. I need to check up on things. I feel like Wooga is the guard VCU is pursuing for 2021 but that is just a feeling.

Reactions: N Mollen

sjhawk13

Top Member
Feb 6, 2014
I would be sad if I had been following it. I am so out of the loop these days. I need to check up on things. I feel like Wooga is the guard VCU is pursuing for 2021 but that is just a feeling.
The 2021 guard class is interesting. Lots of guys are bunched together talent wise and getting one out of the group is a positive thing for any of us.

I too am largely out of the loop. You're not alone, AA.

Reactions: AlienAiden