Recruiting 2021 Offers

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
“I’d like to take an official to VCU, TCU and SMU,” he said. “If I take one to VCU, I would likely take an unofficial to Richmond.”

We definitely seem like one of his favorites (we are also one of 4 schools he has visited virtually). And there's a huge difference between wanting to take an official somewhere and an unofficial. But unfortunately the NCAA extended the dead period to the end of the year so he won't be able to take that visit unless he delays his commitment for a while.
He makes visiting UR like a family obligation. "If I'm in town, I suppose I'll have to go to UR too."

Reactions: Violet Ram

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
More on The Saint from Corey's piece in March, before his standout AAU "season." His coach had this to say back then (note, in AAU he shot well over 40% from 3):

"“At 6-foot-6, he is able to score at all three levels. He shot 35-percent from three on the year, is relentless at getting to the hoop off the dribble, while also taking advantage of smaller defenders with his post-up game,” he said. “He is a high-IQ player that is always looking to get his teammates involved with terrific court vision. He hits the boards hard and plays with a non-stop motor."

"Thomas is a late-bloomer with the physical dimensions in place and a strong character make-up. It won’t be before long that the interest he is receiving turns into offers and once the travel season does finally begin, his recruitment will take off."

If you are ever inclined to give a recruit a SM boost, now is the time

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Had four commits by this time last year. Seems to be a slow season for recruiting with the pandemic, but a lot of people thought it would’ve been the opposite of kids committing early with fear of missing the boat. Is this the case for VCU everyone?

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Had four commits by this time last year. Seems to be a slow season for recruiting with the pandemic, but a lot of people thought it would’ve been the opposite of kids committing early with fear of missing the boat. Is this the case for VCU everyone?
I don't think its the case for everyone, no.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
It is a bit of an interesting year for VCU. We know 2 current players will be out of eligibility so that is our minimum amount of openings, but the reality is it will probably 3 or 4. Another big and a shooter should be the first two and any others could be considered in the spring. While we don't have any commits, I am not sure that we have "missed" out on any one either.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
If anything, kids are committing earlier this year than most.

Last year we had minutes to sell. PT is the biggest recruiting tool. And oddly, given all we lost after last year, there aren't that many obvious minutes available now. Or at least kids dont like the prospect of fighting Ace and Bones esp for time.

But yeah, we are definitely slow to take a commit. Does that mean we are just striking out or, with just 2 spots to fill, are we being very selective. Are our top targets still out there?

I'm impatient too! But better to hold the spots open for kids who really fit what you're trying to do than take a flyer on someone

Reactions: DisplacedRam

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Of the 292 prospects listed currently in the 247 Top Basketball Recruits list, 121 are uncommitted.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
As stated numerous times, there is no “clear path to playing time” for this class as there was the last two (4-man) classes. We essentially have nine underclassmen (including BMB).......a potential playing time logjam.

We have tons of young guards/wings and next yr we’ll have a soph big (MBJ) and two junior bigs (Ward/BMB). It’s gonna be tough to land a high profile, coveted, in-demand recruit for 2021-22.

Mike and the staff chose this (roster construction) route. They are, realistically, recruiting mostly roster “reinforcement types” this year and perhaps even next yr to a degree.

We are committed to, and rolling with, the current 9 underclassmen as our foundation; Mike’s (and the program’s) future likely depends on the success of that group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newboy