Recruiting 2021 Offers

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
VCU has landed two nice recruiting classes - at least on paper. We have landed some talented kids with high upside. With respect to Wheeler, I think we all knew he was not a likely commit. First it was NC State and later Louisville with VCU in the mix. After the serious injury and the Covid-19 environment there was always that chance that he would look at VCU as a safe harbor. That just did not materialize.

I am not at all surprised he went with a P5. I think that was in the cards(no pun intended) all along. What does surprise me is that for a big with a plethora of P5 opportunities he chose to sign with a program already in trouble with more coming. Obviously post season play was a secondary factor. There are almost certainly some level-1 infractions involved. That is a very murky situation. Why not wait till Spring if Louisville was the choice. You could commit but hold off on signing the NLI. Perhaps he is still envisioning 1/2 and done in which case the post season play piece is not that important. The problem is with a serious injury the next level may be further-out than originally intended. I would bet on it. In point of fact sometimes you never get the explosion back from that particular injury(Marcus Evans). Why not matriculate at a P5 without serious issues so you could experience a somewhat normal career/experience in case your being ready for the next level is extended.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
VCU has landed two nice recruiting classes - at least on paper. We have landed some talented kids with high upside. With respect to Wheeler, I think we all knew he was not a likely commit. First it was NC State and later Louisville with VCU in the mix. After the serious injury and the Covid-19 environment there was always that chance that he would look at VCU as a safe harbor. That just did not materialize.

I am not at all surprised he went with a P5. I think that was in the cards(no pun intended) all along. What does surprise me is that for a big with a plethora of P5 opportunities he chose to sign with a program already in trouble with more coming. Obviously post season play was a secondary factor. There are almost certainly some level-1 infractions involved. That is a very murky situation. Why not wait till Spring if Louisville was the choice. You could commit but hold off on signing the NLI. Perhaps he is still envisioning 1/2 and done in which case the post season play piece is not that important. The problem is with a serious injury the next level may be further-out than originally intended. I would bet on it. In point of fact sometimes you never get the explosion back from that particular injury(Marcus Evans). Why not matriculate at a P5 without serious issues so you could experience a somewhat normal career/experience in case your being ready for the next level is extended.
3 classes I'd say. Bones class, Ace class, DeLoach class (and the others in each class of course). They are all top tier A10 classes. Dayton had their day this year and should have, coming off the stellar year they had last year and Obi's status

smiley4284

Top Member
Jul 7, 2011
We were able to get a 1st place 2 loss season. And a preseason #1 consensus that didn’t materialize but we were the favorite for obvious reasons. All that on Wade recruits with high turnover and transfers. Just sayin

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009

Good points! Makes you wonder if we were ever truly in the running or if he was just being “polite”.

Reactions: KentuckyRam

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
we were absolutely in the running

I guess I shouldn't be surprised....there has been a veritable parade of top notch RVa players that have NOT become Rams (Coleman, Bacot, Bamisile, Mason III, etc etc)...just another reminder of where VCU ultimately lands in D1 ball compared to the P5 Cabal

Tell you what....first "big time" talent that pops for VCU is going to be hailed as a hero before he even steps foot on campus

Reactions: Ramdog

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I guess I shouldn't be surprised....there has been a veritable parade of top notch RVa players that have NOT become Rams (Coleman, Bacot, Bamisile, Mason III, etc etc)...just another reminder of where VCU ultimately lands in D1 ball compared to the P5 Cabal

Tell you what....first "big time" talent that pops for VCU is going to be hailed as a hero before he even steps foot on campus
define "big time talent"

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
As defined, "big time talents" commit to VCU nearly every year, just not from RVA. And honestly, I couldn't care less where they are from as long as they can play.
I hear you, and I agree....I just wanna see Mike land a really big fish.

Guys like these....nary a mid major to be found in the Top 10

2020 https://247sports.com/Season/2020-B...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=VA

2019 https://247sports.com/Season/2019-B...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=VA

2018 https://247sports.com/Season/2018-B...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=VA

2017 https://247sports.com/Season/2017-B...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=VA

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Honestly, I DGAF. The state of birth means zero to me. We have landed a bunch of players more highly rated than those top 10s, from other states.

In fact, I'll go one step further: given two otherwise identical recruits, one from RVA and one from ATL or Philly, I'd rather have the out of town kid. It would underscore the reach of the program. The RVA kid would be dismissed as home-cooking

Last edited: