2022-23 NET rankings and metrics

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
Texas Tech is 10 spots ahead of us and doesn't have a single Q1 or Q2 win. 0-8

JMU is ahead of us with 4 Q4 losses.

UAB is ahead of us with just one Q2 win.

I know we have discussed this to death, and we haven't been the best this season, but darn dude no matter how I look at this stuff or try to break it down it just seems random af.

Somebody really explain how UABs record whose best win is a neutral # 80 with 3 Q3 losses is objectively better than a squad with wins against neutral # 61 and away # 40 and 1 Q3 loss and 1 Q4 loss. It's just not better in any capacity unless you weigh the Q4 loss way heavier than anything else. Which is dumb cause in any given game a team can just shoot red hot and beat anybody. The whole body of work should matter most. And even if that's the case how does JMU get ranked higher with 4 Q4 losses? Thier best win is an away #65?!?

In case anyone hasn’t been paying attention, in addition to the RPI component (who played, where, outcome), Margin of Victory (i.e. possession efficiency, net scoring margin, etc) is a “huge” NET component. Take a look at JMU’s final scores and where the games were played. Same with Dayton. Then look at ours (scoring margins).

Three main NET factors - opponent/outcome, game location, scoring margin.

Running up the score (or, conversely, keeping it close) matters.

In case anyone hasn’t been paying attention, in addition to the RPI component (who played, where, outcome), Margin of Victory (i.e. possession efficiency, net scoring margin, etc) is a “huge” NET component. Take a look at JMU’s final scores and where the games were played. Same with Dayton. Then look at ours (scoring margins).

Three main NET factors - opponent/outcome, game location, scoring margin.

Running up the score (or, conversely, keeping it close) matters.
Margin of victory isn't part of net. Efficiency is. And if you read any of this thread you would have already know.l that.

Texas Tech is 10 spots ahead of us and doesn't have a single Q1 or Q2 win. 0-8

JMU is ahead of us with 4 Q4 losses.

UAB is ahead of us with just one Q2 win.

I know we have discussed this to death, and we haven't been the best this season, but darn dude no matter how I look at this stuff or try to break it down it just seems random af.

Somebody really explain how UABs record whose best win is a neutral # 80 with 3 Q3 losses is objectively better than a squad with wins against neutral # 61 and away # 40 and 1 Q3 loss and 1 Q4 loss. It's just not better in any capacity unless you weigh the Q4 loss way heavier than anything else. Which is dumb cause in any given game a team can just shoot red hot and beat anybody. The whole body of work should matter most. And even if that's the case how does JMU get ranked higher with 4 Q4 losses? Thier best win is an away #65?!?
yeah some interesting outliers every year (usually 5-15 every year in that top 75 tranche)

I always wait until mid February for all those outliers to work their ways to where they probably belong (in most cases their conference weakness usually drags them down unless they remain pretty much undefeated in their conference play)

I pay more attention to how the A10 teams stand relative to each other during the December to mid February timeframe - sort of our Targets so to speak

IMHO if we run the regular season with no more than 1 more loss we probably climb to 45-55 in NET (firmly on the bubble) (no losses definitely top 50 and inside bubble line) - are either of those scenarios probable (no) , possible (yes)
if we continue playing like we have over the last 2 weeks we will be 1 or 2 in the conference - if we revert a little than top 4

go Rams

You're right. It doesn't matter, but man, 28 years is a long time to hold a grudge in college basketball if your names are Virginia Tech and VCU.
No thanks! Beat them by 30 last time we played (Melvin's 30 as a freshman) - whereby we were forced to play them. Their fan base is almost as insufferable as St. Bonnies.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
It is not. Margin of victory was its own component in original NET. And before you try to backtrack and say "blah blah that's what I meant", you used a term of art incorrectly and are just plain wrong.

🤦🏻 Believe whatever you want.

mrA10

Elite Member
Up to 79 on Kenpom. The A10 now has 3 teams in the Top 80 (SLU is 80).
It's crazy how these analytical sites have VCU so low.

barttorvik has VCU at 97, even after the win tonight. Washington State has a losing record of 9-11 and they are 57th!
Kenpom has VCU at 79, but teams like Dayton who have zero wins over teams 110 or better (and a worse record) are above 55.
NET - VCU (85th) finally has two Q1 wins after Pitt reached 50 yesterday, yet VCU's NET moved down one.
Teamscores.com has VCU at 86 while teams like Stanford (have lost twice as many games as they have won at 6-12) are ranked higher (81). I've seen Stanford play and they are horrible.

It's funny, but the only ranking that has it close to right is the RPI - VCU 46th.

VRam

Elite Member
It's crazy how these analytical sites have VCU so low.

barttorvik has VCU at 97, even after the win tonight. Washington State has a losing record of 9-11 and they are 57th!
Kenpom has VCU at 79, but teams like Dayton who have zero wins over teams 110 or better (and a worse record) are above 55.
NET - VCU (85th) finally has two Q1 wins after Pitt reached 50 yesterday, yet VCU's NET moved down one.
Teamscores.com has VCU at 86 while teams like Stanford (have lost twice as many games as they have won at 6-12) are ranked higher (81). I've seen Stanford play and they are horrible.

It's funny, but the only ranking that has it close to right is the RPI - VCU 46th.
Yup, now 45 in the RPI.