2022-23 NET rankings and metrics

VRam

Elite Member
We're finally ahead of JMU, but Liberty is #61 at 12-5 vs D1 opponents. They've lost to every decent team they've played, except Jacksonville. Pretty sure we would smoke them.

Yosi Ram

Elite Member
We're actually at NET 82. We were 85 from yesterday's run but when it updated we went up three spots. I do feel like we should get more from a 12 point road win, but what can you do?
I expected a bigger jump too.

Overall not all Q4 games are equal. There's a difference between 200 Q4 team and a 300 one and unfortunately Howard, Manhattan, and NIU are real anchors.

mrA10

Elite Member
The more I try to make sense of the NET rankings using the resumes alone, the more it just doesn't make sense.

Compare VCU's resume to any of these teams currently ranked higher. The only explanation is that they blew out more teams than VCU did, and that's just stupid at this point in the season with all of the data we have now.

1674324962366.png

Major Ram 2.0

Elite Member
As Liberty goes thru their regular conference season they should lose ground in the NET as they play more opponents with worse rankings.
NET is results based and doesn’t project to the end of the regular season.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
The more I try to make sense of the NET rankings using the resumes alone, the more it just doesn't make sense.

Compare VCU's resume to any of these teams currently ranked higher. The only explanation is that they blew out more teams than VCU did, and that's just stupid at this point in the season with all of the data we have now.

View attachment 12278
this is telling, every team from 69 to 81, with us at 82, has a losing record against Q1 competition. We are 2-2. Every team 69-81 also has a losing record vs. Q1 and Q2 combined. We are 3-3. No, this is just wrong, it make no sense at all. The best thing I hope for is that the committee will look at this and put us ahead of all those teams since we have 2 Q1 wins.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Elite Member
this is telling, every team from 69 to 81, with us at 82, has a losing record against Q1 competition. We are 2-2. Every team 69-81 also has a losing record vs. Q1 and Q2 combined. We are 3-3. No, this is just wrong, it make no sense at all. The best thing I hope for is that the committee will look at this and put us ahead of all those teams since we have 2 Q1 wins.

Agreed - and I think we absolutely pass the eye test

We gotta just keep playing good ball and let the rankings just be rankings

Really hope none of it even matters and we can just bring home a conf chip

With that said… Vandys up on Georgia at the half 44-36

Vandys had some last minute losses against quality opponents where they were leading most the game

Also, gonna need Dayton to turn it around against GW

Last edited:

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member

View attachment 12278
Wow I never heard of Utah Valley.

HBK

Elite Member
Vandy, UR and Temple could and probably should all move into Quad 2 at some point. Pitt and Arizona State could move back into Quad 1. Radford moved into Quad 3; need them to stay there. Davidson and UMass could both move into Quad 3 at some point.

HBK

Elite Member
I think the NET will always confuse me. Dayton, who is 0-5 in Quads 1 & 2, and 4-7 in Quads 1, 2, and 3, is somehow at 69. Now they don't have a Quad 4 loss, as VCU does. However, VCU is 2-3 in Quads 1 & 2, and is 6-4 in Quads 1, 2, and 3. The two teams NET SOS is almost identical, and our SOS using the RPI is much better.

I get that efficiency ratings play a role, but isn't winning and losing and strength of schedule the ultimate barometer?

I get that efficiency ratings play a role, but isn't winning and losing and strength of schedule the ultimate barometer?
No, it's not and that's why they switched from RPI to NET. Efficiency helps identify a Gonzaga playing in a bad conference. Yes, how good your opponent should mattera nd supposedly it does.

Looking at W/L and SOS leads conferences to schedule weakly in OOC. Yes, weak opponents in OOC means your OOC is low, but by winning those games, the SOS of in conference game is extremely high plus all those teams have a huge cushion in their winning percentage.

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
I think the NET will always confuse me. Dayton, who is 0-5 in Quads 1 & 2, and 4-7 in Quads 1, 2, and 3, is somehow at 69. Now they don't have a Quad 4 loss, as VCU does. However, VCU is 2-3 in Quads 1 & 2, and is 6-4 in Quads 1, 2, and 3. The two teams NET SOS is almost identical, and our SOS using the RPI is much better.

I think NET confuses a lot of people, including those who try to predict the NCAA bracket too early in the year.

When the old RPI was around, it was easy to figure. People understood it. NET, which changes (improves?) a lot, really can't be looked at too early.
I used to look at the RPI daily starting in January. But with the NET, I just see no reason to look too early. But I did look today when I had some time.

Here is what I found about VCUs current position. We are at 80. We currently have one Q1 win and one Q4 loss. To me, the Q4 loss hurts more than the lack of Q1 wins. Hopefully, Jacksonville will help by winning a few more games.

At 80, I see 17 teams ahead of us that have only Q1 win, and 11 that have NONE. Those teams, like all teams, are still playing. A lot of those teams will not have the chance to play another Q1 team, but have some Q3 and Q4 teams left on their schedules. There are a couple ahead of us that have a losing record. I think we have a great chance to move up. And with some help, move up a lot.

We can also move up because a lot of the teams ahead of us will drop as the season continues. When these teams play each other, one has to lose. With time, that will take care of itself.

I don't buy the notion that winning the A-10 regular season outright will not help us. The winner of the A-10 regular season has been in the NCAA Tournament every year since we got in the A-10. Two were from winning the A-10 tournament. The other seven were granted at-large bids. So I want to win the #1 seed, outright. While it is not a guarantee, it must pull some weight. To win will require that we keep winning. But sorry, I hope that Dayton and St. Louis lose a game here or there, just to give us some breathing room. They don't have to win every game to keep their NET up. The NET Quad System is a range, not a single number. They both can lose a game here or there, win the rest, and give us a better shot when they play us. But still, I want some error room for slipping, just in case.

I still think we will end with a net in the mid 50s or better. A 55 and sitting at the top of the A-10 alone will do the trick.

Last edited: