2022-23 NET rankings and metrics

I see Drake. I said several weeks ago, that if they win their automatic-qualifier bid, that they could be a S16 team. They have all the parts. They just need to pull it together for 40 minutes.

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
And that's with Mason going into last night's game at 123. As much as I would like to see the freshmen getting more development time on court, the Net rewards keeping your most efficient players in till the end.

Yea, we were talking about that at the end of the game last night. It forces a stupid metric which actually hurts deep teams.

Nice move in the last week.

The more I watch NET, the more I think it holds some of the same tendencies as the RPI. It is just numbers, and numbers don't lie. A couple things to remember:

First, it is as much about what other teams are doing as it is about you.

Second, it is just math. Every night half the teams that play lose. The other half win. So, a lot of those teams around you in any ranking are going to lose. The higher you get, the fewer will lose, just because the better teams tend to win. So it is harder to move up. But the as a season progresses, the numbers will take over and the teams that win will move up. Staying on the good side of the ledger (winning) takes care of a lot.

I stick to my projections. We will end up better than 55 by Selection Sunday. If we do, that should get us in. The one thing that would make me feel better is if Jacksonville would win a few and remove that Q4 loss. I looked at their stats today. They are a better team than their record shows. They just need to start playing to their strengths.

We are fine. Just win.

rammad90

Elite Member
Yea, we were talking about that at the end of the game last night. It forces a stupid metric which actually hurts deep teams.

Nice move in the last week.

The more I watch NET, the more I think it holds some of the same tendencies as the RPI. It is just numbers, and numbers don't lie. A couple things to remember:

First, it is as much about what other teams are doing as it is about you.

Second, it is just math. Every night half the teams that play lose. The other half win. So, a lot of those teams around you in any ranking are going to lose. The higher you get, the fewer will lose, just because the better teams tend to win. So it is harder to move up. But the as a season progresses, the numbers will take over and the teams that win will move up. Staying on the good side of the ledger (winning) takes care of a lot.

I stick to my projections. We will end up better than 55 by Selection Sunday. If we do, that should get us in. The one thing that would make me feel better is if Jacksonville would win a few and remove that Q4 loss. I looked at their stats today. They are a better team than their record shows. They just need to start playing to their strengths.

We are fine. Just win.
Rick agreed. One game at a time, one win at a time. We'll drop one or two along the way but we just have to keep getting those W's and all will take care of itself.

looking at the brackets last year, there were 4 or 5 teams with NETs in 40s that did not receive at large bids and at least one team in 30s (Oklahoma)
the last 4 in had NETs' of 50, 53, 38 and 77 (rutgers had the 77 but was 6-6 in Tier one games - the power of playing in the Big 10 and getting home court opportunities for Tier 1 wins)

clearly the committee only uses the NET as one of many tools to select teams with the range of teams selected for at large and those left out

Davidson had an at large with a NET of 41 and had a 10 seed line as an at large and VCU and Dayton with NETs of 56 and 58 went to NIT (the a10 also had 3 more teams with NETs in mid 80s or better - so conference strength as measured by NET was better than current year at this stage)

IMO I think we need to run the schedule with no more than one loss to either a St louis away or Dayton to climb to the 50 range and win our games in similar style to what we have been doing over the last few weeks ( I agree with others that those +15 point wins move the needle upward in our NET as opposed to 5 point wins against mid to low tier A10 teams)

if I were to use last year as an example, absent winning the conference tourney it will likely take a NET of mid to low 40s for VCU to see an at large bid IMO

fmrick and some other posters are right we need to focus on the game directly in front of us and just win for the next 45 days - that is what we control most

go rams