2022-23 NET rankings and metrics

Just two examples of who turned us down this year for neutral court games: Baylor (in Dallas) and San Diego State (in Phoenix). We try to get Virginia Tech every year, and they always say no.

Mike and Jimmy have mentioned sucking it up and accepting 2-for-1 in the future; 2 on the road and 1 at home. It may come to that in the future.
curious did we tell Baylor we would play them in Waco or San Diego St in San Diego?

we can strengthen our schedule resume by finding 2 high mid majors that we can play on the road - find two teams likely to be in top 70 in the NET and play them on the road - turns into two Tier 1 games and honestly I am not afraid to play any mid major on the road
play utah state as an example or st marys (interesting sd st is playing St marys in phoenix next week)

I would not do 2 for 1 with P5s but would do 1 off on the road if they would agree to play us and we could get TV money with it

yup scheduling P5 as they grow to super conferences will become exceptionally tough

as far as UVA playing in state schools beyond conference , i think bennett background at u wisconsin GB (player and coach) created the soft spot to play smaller in state schools when you are the state flagship

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Good point. I cannot argue against it at all. Trade-offs, right? Less fan attendance, but more helpful from an NCAA standpoint, I guess??? Truthfully, if you're going to schedule Radford, then ODU makes sense and so does Liberty. All I can tell you is that every time I've spoken with Martelli, he mentions how difficult scheduling is for us, and how he gets turned down all the time by Power 5 schools and high-level mid-majors. So many factors are involved in getting a game with another school.

The only issue with the UVA comparison is that they don't struggle to get lots and lots of good games, like we do. Also, Bennett has been great at scheduling schools around the state, including us. That's just one of many reasons I like and respect Tony Bennett. We should start our third home & home with them next season.
How can we not get a game with Michigan if Martelli's father is the associate head coach at Michigan? I mean if he can't land that game, my hopes aren't too high on him getting other P5 teams.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
How can we not get a game with Michigan if Martelli's father is the associate head coach at Michigan? I mean if he can't land that game, my hopes aren't too high on him getting other P5 teams.
But why is the focus on P5 teams and not resume building games? Playing Michigan at home would be a Q2 game. Playing at Iona or Kent state is a Q1 game of the Kenpom rankings hold true. Play them on a neutral and it is a Q2 game.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
But why is the focus on P5 teams and not resume building games? Playing Michigan at home would be a Q2 game. Playing at Iona or Kent state is a Q1 game of the Kenpom rankings hold true. Play them on a neutral and it is a Q2 game.
It can be either. Playing P5 programs just sound better imo. But i would love top tier mid majors as well. We actually are pretty good about scheduling mid majors that do surprisingly well in the final rankings in March.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
It can be either. Playing P5 programs just sound better imo. But i would love top tier mid majors as well. We actually are pretty good about scheduling mid majors that do surprisingly well in the final rankings in March.
Makes total sense. The energy in the Stu against a power 5 school seems to always be great.

I do find it to be an interesting discussion on how to set up the best schedule. Schedule for the best fan experience/ name recognition, schedule for the best at large chance, the most revenue, or a combination of the three.

Makes total sense. The energy in the Stu against a power 5 school seems to always be great.

I do find it to be an interesting discussion on how to set up the best schedule. Schedule for the best fan experience/ name recognition, schedule for the best at large chance, the most revenue, or a combination of the three.
schedule for the best at large chance that is how you maximize revenue - in a10 split participant gets bulk of ncaa payout of units (isn;t it about 70%) - buy games we waste money on - might make $75- 50k all told on a buy game while one unit for 6 years is probably 1.5 million (go another round wow)
play more tier 1 games on the road (2) vs mid majors to increase odds for Tier 1 victories or even a Tier 1 loss VERSUS a tier 4 victory - no brainer IMHO

heresy but maybe we should assign scheduling to someone besides JM

Last edited:

HBK

Elite Member
First off, why would Michigan want to play us? Secondly, coaches who are good friends don’t even like playing each other. It must be worse when it’s family on the opposite bench. How many times have the Hurleys scheduled each other, or the Miller boys? How many times did Coach K purposely schedule a non-conference game against his former players (Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, etc.)? Probably never, but I’ll leave open the possibility that it was done once or twice. That’s the point, it almost never happens.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
First off, why would Michigan want to play us? Secondly, coaches who are good friends don’t even like playing each other. It must be worse when it’s family on the opposite bench. How many times have the Hurleys scheduled each other, or the Miller boys? How many times did Coach K purposely schedule a non-conference game against his former players (Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, etc.)? Probably never, but I’ll leave open the possibility that it was done once or twice. That’s the point, it almost never happens.
I'm not buying that. His job is to show value to programs on why they should play us. Family helps family ALL. THE. TIME. You telling me Dad didnt help Jimmy land jobs? Trust and believe if the Hurley's schedules were starting to decay like ours, they would help each other. And i'm not talking about former players or assistants. I am talking about father and son. You are a dad. If your son was struggling in an industry you have connections in, you wouldn't help him?

Last edited:

Mercury

Elite Member
I'm not buying that. His job is to show value to programs on why they should play us. Family helps family ALL. THE. TIME. You telling me Dad didnt help Jimmy land jobs? Trust and believe if the Hurley's schedules were starting to decay like ours, they would help each other. And i'm not talking about former players or assistants. I am talking about father and son. You are a dad. If your son was struggling in an industry you have connections in, you wouldn't help him?

1) There are a plethora of ways for his dad to help him that don't involve us playing Michigan. How do you know he isn't helping Jimmy in other ways? Pops creating connections to tournament/ MTE organizers are worth more than a one off game vs Big Blue.
2) It's not like his dad has final say on who is on the Michigan schedule.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
1) There are a plethora of ways for his dad to help him that don't involve us playing Michigan. How do you know he isn't helping Jimmy in other ways? Pops creating connections to tournament/ MTE organizers are worth more than a one off game vs Big Blue.
Good point. His dad could be helping. Jimmy has been a crafty scheduler of mid majors that usually do very well come March rankings. this year seems to be an outlier, but it's not March yet.
There is no way to know how much help he gets. But as for MTE entry, we havent had much issue with garnering good early season MTE for going on 2 decades now. Our schedule isn't bad, so I have to give credit where credit is due. But the program, schedule and conference ranking seems to diminishing a bit each year lately. Its time to pull out all the stops to start gaining momentum back. Lunardi's comment about VCU needing to schedule better teams is insightful given the slow demise of the A10 stature.
I think next years schedule will be nice with Memphis, Temple, MTE already lined up.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

Well... we did get 2 players from Univ. of Michigan in the off season.... Did Phil-Jimmy connection have anything to do with it?

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Well... we did get 2 players from Univ. of Michigan in the off season.... Did Phil-Jimmy connection have anything to do with it?
I forgot about that when I posted. that definitely was dad helping us. I am sure we will be one of the first calls a quality transfer makes when exploring options. I also wonder if the Villanova practice game was influenced by his father.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I forgot about that when I posted. that definitely was dad helping us. I am sure we will be one of the first calls a quality transfer makes when exploring options. I also wonder if the Villanova practice game was influenced by his father.

How would the Villanova practice game be influenced by Phil Martelli? The new coach at Villanova was a long time assistant at Villanova, not St. Joe's. If anything, he built a short term relationship with Coach Rhoades last year when he was the Fordham coach.

Let's keep things in perspective here. Phil Martelli is NOT the head coach of Michigan. He is the associate head coach who Juwan Howard hired because Howard had zero college coaching experience and Martelli had been put out to pasture by St. Joe's, and was available to help Howard understand all aspects of being a college basketball head coach. Howard needed someone to help him navigate through the NCAA maze, and Martelli was available to help him learn the in's and out's of college basketball.

Regarding Michigan's schedule, they don't play non P5 schools unless it's at Michigan or on a neutral court. They did play Eastern Michigan this year, but it was played in Detroit on a neutral court. Every other mid-major that Michigan plays this year is in Ann Arbor. Michigan just doesn't do 2 for 1 games with non P5 schools. In the last 10 years, Michigan has only played 2 H/H series with non P5 schools. One was against Central Florida and the other against SMU - both AAC schools.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
How would the Villanova practice game be influenced by Phil Martelli? The new coach at Villanova was a long time assistant at Villanova, not St. Joe's. If anything, he built a short term relationship with Coach Rhoades last year when he was the Fordham coach.

Let's keep things in perspective here. Phil Martelli is NOT the head coach of Michigan. He is the associate head coach who Juwan Howard hired because Howard had zero college coaching experience and Martelli had been put out to pasture by St. Joe's, and was available to help Howard understand all aspects of being a college basketball head coach. Howard needed someone to help him navigate through the NCAA maze, and Martelli was available to help him learn the in's and out's of college basketball.

Regarding Michigan's schedule, they don't play non P5 schools unless it's at Michigan or on a neutral court. They did play Eastern Michigan this year, but it was played in Detroit on a neutral court. Every other mid-major that Michigan plays this year is in Ann Arbor. Michigan just doesn't do 2 for 1 games with non P5 schools. In the last 10 years, Michigan has only played 2 H/H series with non P5 schools. One was against Central Florida and the other against SMU - both AAC schools.
Nova is in Philly. I am sure Phil knows people that can create influence with Villanova. Martelli and Howard are alot closer than the explanation you posted above. You know that who you know goes a long way in the professional world. Mich can easily put us on there schedule and not harm there program in the slightest. This is not like cold calling Indiana or Purdue.