2022 A10 Conference Schedule Pairings

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Visiting for the first time next month (work half the week, then a few days off and the weekend for sightseeing). I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Make reservations at RPM Italian and RPM Steak now. At the former, the Bucatini or the Short Rib Parpadelle are outrageous…..at steak, just enjoy a good bone in cut and the wine list.

That said, you can completely ignore my suggestions and still find plenty of other spots almost as good…..the burger at Au Cheval is amazing as well and totally worth the ridiculous wait. Seriously, you can’t go wrong food wise, just plan ahead for the good stuff.

buckwheat

Elite Member
Agreed with PRock on those suggestions.

My personal favorite steakhouse is Kinzie Chophouse, not far at all from Wacker. It’s expensive though.

Cubs will be in town here and there In July. Check out Wrigleyville. Sox have a surprisingly nice ballpark as well.

There are some great beaches on the lake. Some to avoid as well. Stay north.

Navy pier is a hokey tourist trap, but it can still be fun.

Gino’s and Pequods are my two favorite pizza joints, Gino’s likely being easier to find.

Boat tours are supposed to be fun. Never done it myself.

Lastly, go to the top of the Hancock Building. There‘s a bar up there. Sit and have a drink overlooking city/lake. Truly stunning.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Midway is forever away from Rogers Park. Depending on time of day, could be 45 minutes, could take close to two hours

O’Hare to Rogers Park is only about 20 minutes, give or take.
Thank you for the scouting report. I see great deals to fly into Midway and was thinking about a trip if the game is on a weekend.

buckwheat

Elite Member
Thank you for the scouting report. I see great deals to fly into Midway and was thinking about a trip if the game is on a weekend.
You got it. Yeah, deals can be better through Midway, worth it if staying south or downtown.

If final destination is far north, IMO you’ll waste more time and Uber cost than is truly worth the flight savings.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member

My personal favorite steakhouse is Kinzie Chophouse, not far at all from Wacker. It’s expensive though.

Cubs will be in town here and there In July. Check out Wrigleyville. Sox have a surprisingly nice ballpark as well.

Gino’s and Pequods are my two favorite pizza joints, Gino’s likely being easier to find.

Lastly, go to the top of the Hancock Building. There‘s a bar up there. Sit and have a drink overlooking city/lake. Truly stunning.
My Cubbies suck this year, but Wrigley is always fun and Wrigleyville is always a good time to drink beer out of a plastic cup.

I like Pequod's Pizza a lot too, but like you said there are minimal locations.

Suggestion for warm weather.... rent a bike and ride it down from Wrigleyville/Lakeview area to the city. Easy ride and beautiful if the weather is nice.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

My favorite in Chicago is The Rosebud on Taylor Street. Some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten!!!

Chicago Chop House on Ontario is also a Chicago landmark.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
1 word.....Alinea
Alinea is great if you are a foodie, otherwise it is pretentious and expensive.

An alternative is Schwa, it’s near Alinea quality with an atmosphere that both Travis Scott and Gwar would appreciate.….plus it is BYOB, so one can bring their favorite spirits or vintage without the markup, as long as one is willing to share with the chefs.

It’s unique dining experience.

HTTRams!

Elite Member
Alinea is great if you are a foodie, otherwise it is pretentious and expensive.

An alternative is Schwa, it’s near Alinea quality with an atmosphere that both Travis Scott and Gwar would appreciate.….plus it is BYOB, so one can bring their favorite spirits or vintage without the markup, as long as one is willing to share with the chefs.

It’s unique dining experience.
I will most def save that suggestion, thanks PRock.

As for Alinea, I think it's also great for the experience but yeah...I see where you are getting at. I am a foodie but also Achatz is a frickin genius. Just find it to be a unique experience.

buckwheat

Elite Member
I will most def save that suggestion, thanks PRock.

As for Alinea, I think it's also great for the experience but yeah...I see where you are getting at. I am a foodie but also Achatz is a frickin genius. Just find it to be a unique experience.

Never been to Alinea, but it has always seemed intriguing. Something about spending well over a grand for two people to not even get full gives me pause. I’m sure it is great though.

I tend to prefer a top notch steakhouse, and there are plenty of em here.

HTTRams!

Elite Member
Never been to Alinea, but it has always seemed intriguing. Something about spending well over a grand for two people to not even get full gives me pause. I’m sure it is great though.

I tend to prefer a top notch steakhouse, and there are plenty of em here.
Yeah, I don't blame you for thinking that.