Insider
Jun 5, 2012

I assume it isn't this guy

giphy.gif

But the one with offers from VTech, Seton Hall and now us

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Another 2022 offer, Christian Winborne. 3 star PG from 247 and Rivals, has offers from LSU, Rutgers, Kansas State, UMass, Harvard, Nebraska, and a lot of others.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
I can see why the VCU coaching staff is looking at other PG's in leau of McDaniel.

1. Michigan now has the inside track
2. McDaniel wants starter minutes and will get it from Juwan Howard with Rocket Watts gone.

McDaniel knows all of them well, including Howard. A few years back, McDaniel went to Florida to play for the Nightrydas -- his uncle is a coach -- and teamed with Howard’s youngest son, Jett, another 2022 prospect. “Me and Jett got really close,” McDaniel said, and that relationship has only strengthened over the years.

The wrinkle over the past year or so is that Juwan Howard is recruiting McDaniel. The two are in contact at least once a week. McDaniel texts with Michigan assistant Phil Martelli daily. McDaniel and his mom have a Zoom meeting scheduled for next week with the entire staff.

There are behind-the-scenes connections too. Martelli coached Farello’s former player, future pro Delonte West, at Saint Joe’s. There’s a Michigan basketball legend living down the street from Paul VI: Phil Hubbard, whose jersey hangs in the Crisler Center rafters, is a volunteer assistant on Farello’s staff.

McDaniel’s college options are mostly East Coast schools: Connecticut, VCU, Florida, to name a few. The Howard connection helps, and McDaniel points out that Ann Arbor is still in Eastern time zone (a surprise to a surprisingly high number of people). Campus visits have been on hold since the COVID-19 pandemic began, but restrictions will be lifted in June, and McDaniel has an official visit to Michigan on the calendar for then.

His plan is to commit in August, before his senior year starts.

He said playing time will be a big factor in which school he chooses. “Even if I don’t start, I want to get playing time (right away), because I feel like I can impact the game.” He said his mom will make sure he prioritizes academics as well.

Last edited:

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
More on Tyrell Ward:

That’s a really strong list of offers, hopefully we make his cut list.

EDIT: A highlight video. Unfortunately it’s old, but he’s still playing at a very high level (18.1 ppg).

LSU: “I love their fanbase. I think they have one of the best fanbases in the country and I love the way they play. Like Trendon Watford, I try to model my game after his a little bit. I’m not built like him, but they say I could be really similar to him.”
:shock::(:roll::lol: