2022 Offseason

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
There are presently 32 conferences. The tweet mentions that 22 of them would be involved in this new scheduling model. My guess is that the leagues that aren't participating are those that are typically rated in the top ten. The A-10 would therefore likely not be one of the league in this new format, just as it was never a part of the bracket busters.
The article specifically names the A-10 as one of the conferences interested in this model.

rf1

Sigh.

Did you read the article?

No where in the article does it specifically state that the A-10 is one of the 22 leagues. The A-10 was mentioned with an IF with regards to participation:

If the important multi-bid leagues (American Athletic Conference, Mountain West, Atlantic 10, West Coast Conference) decide to do this, college hoops could theoretically have late-February nonconference games akin to Gonzaga-Houston, Colorado State-Davidson, Memphis-Saint Mary's or Boise State-Davidson — all teams that comfortably made the 2022 NCAA Tournament. This would provide a late-season scheduling opportunity that would undeniably enhance those conferences' visibility and viability to get more teams into the discussion of qualifying for the NCAA Tournament.

The article listed the P5 and Big East as not participating leaving four other conferences not on board. It would not surprise me that some or even all of these four other leagues are the group mentioned above with the IF.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
No where in the article does it specifically state that the A-10 is one of the 22 leagues. The A-10 was mentioned with an IF with regards to participation:

If the important multi-bid leagues (American Athletic Conference, Mountain West, Atlantic 10, West Coast Conference) decide to do this, college hoops could theoretically have late-February nonconference games akin to Gonzaga-Houston, Colorado State-Davidson, Memphis-Saint Mary's or Boise State-Davidson — all teams that comfortably made the 2022 NCAA Tournament. This would provide a late-season scheduling opportunity that would undeniably enhance those conferences' visibility and viability to get more teams into the discussion of qualifying for the NCAA Tournament.

The article listed the P5 and Big East as not participating leaving four other conferences not on board. It would not surprise me that some or even all of these four other leagues are the group mentioned above with the IF.
NO ONE is participating in it yet. They sent the proposal to the non-P5 conferences, including the A10, and 22 of them have indicated interest.

I don't know how you read the article and came away with the idea that the better non-P5s wouldn't be invited or interested

SWV

Elite Member
I’ll believe it when I see it. Now that billionaires are involved it’s probably too late.
I thought it was interesting that they mentioned boosters putting together “NIL” deals to lure players from other schools to transfer.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider

So the intent is for quad 1 and quad 2 games so you can eliminate the bottom 4 conferences as well using historical Net avg as thet consistently have no teams that would be quad 1 or 2 in February

BradRamFan

Elite Member
The 22 conference thing is basically what the P5's do during the OOC because ranking systems are so heavily biased towards P5 rather than mids. So they take the top ranked teams in each conference and pit them against the top ranked teams in their partner conference. That way, whichever team loses the game, they really don't lose much/drop down in rankings because the rankings are similarly high.
But the question is......is Gonzaga going to want to actually play in this if they are ranked in the top 5 of the country....serves no benefit to them. And really, late in Feb, any mid major team in the top 25 probably doesn't need to play such a two game stretch (although, I guess it could help in seeding.....but the P5's will find some way to get the NCAA to screw us)
If you are a bubble team, it might help you get into the dance if you win both games. We had a BB game against Wichita State that ended up putting us in the dance.
But as someone mentioned on here, TV and advertising rights could be sold, but controlled by actual conferences involved, rather than the NCAA. That way the conferences could stand to make a pretty penny.
I would suggest a Mon/Wed set of games, a Tue/Friday set of games and a Thu/Sat set of games. Or maybe to a two week stretch of a H&H. Games start at 4 pm, 6:30 pm and 9:00 pm to capture as many open local, regional, and nationally televised games as possible.
If it is always a H&H type exchange all within the same week. Then I am not sure you are going to see many east coast/west coast type games being scheduled.
But I do like the idea of this being controlled through the conferences rather than through the NCAA or a business entity like ESPN as both would take away the bulk of the money

rf1

The best option for the A-10 would be to join an alliance for a late season round robin with just the AAC, WCC, and MWC. These are the leagues which basically provide all the at large teams outside the P5 and BE.

The only scenario I would favor a larger round robin model including more conferences would be only if the P5 and BE were part of it.