2022 Offseason

The 22 conference thing is basically what the P5's do during the OOC because ranking systems are so heavily biased towards P5 rather than mids. So they take the top ranked teams in each conference and pit them against the top ranked teams in their partner conference. That way, whichever team loses the game, they really don't lose much/drop down in rankings because the rankings are similarly high.
But the question is......is Gonzaga going to want to actually play in this if they are ranked in the top 5 of the country....serves no benefit to them. And really, late in Feb, any mid major team in the top 25 probably doesn't need to play such a two game stretch (although, I guess it could help in seeding.....but the P5's will find some way to get the NCAA to screw us)
If you are a bubble team, it might help you get into the dance if you win both games. We had a BB game against Wichita State that ended up putting us in the dance.
But as someone mentioned on here, TV and advertising rights could be sold, but controlled by actual conferences involved, rather than the NCAA. That way the conferences could stand to make a pretty penny.
I would suggest a Mon/Wed set of games, a Tue/Friday set of games and a Thu/Sat set of games. Or maybe to a two week stretch of a H&H. Games start at 4 pm, 6:30 pm and 9:00 pm to capture as many open local, regional, and nationally televised games as possible.
If it is always a H&H type exchange all within the same week. Then I am not sure you are going to see many east coast/west coast type games being scheduled.
But I do like the idea of this being controlled through the conferences rather than through the NCAA or a business entity like ESPN as both would take away the bulk of the money
If Gonzaga got a chance to play Houston or San Diego State or Memphis i think they would gladly take that game. Beating the likes of Pacific, Pepperdine, Long Beach St and Loyola Marymount in Feb does nothing to help prepare them for the Big Dance.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
What is this crazy 22 conference flex scheduling about? VCU should be forefront, cuz' we know!

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Apropos of this, and for whatever value you want to attach to it . . . .

I like how Billups and Fermin are the VCU All Time #5 and #6 ranked recruits on this service.....Hard NOT to get jazzed up about that little nugget.
Terry Larrier
De'riante Jenkins
Bones
The Melvin
are a very sold #1-#4

Also, who the heck is Terrell Elliston (2007 Fla)??? I have no recollection of that guy, but he's buried at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:

t23e3

Elite Member
I like how Billups and Fermin are the VCU All Time #5 and #6 ranked recruits on this service.....Hard NOT to get jazzed up about that little nugget.
Terry Larrier
De'riante Jenkins
Bones
The Melvin
are a very sold #1-#4

Also, who the heck is Terrell Elliston (2007 Fla)??? I have no recollection of that guy, but he's buried at the bottom of the list.
Mike Rhoades now has brought in 4 of the top 8 highest rated recruits of all-time for VCU during his tenure so far. #3 Bones, #5 Billups, #6 Fermin, #8 Watkins.