2022 Offseason

Mercury

Elite Member
This talk reminds me of the fan basketball games the CAAZone would organize the week of the tournament. Keyboard warriors from every school showed up to exhaust ourselves before the first point was scored.

Anyone else remember those? Lasted at least two years.

80sRam

Elite Member
If only we could get an OFL (Old Fart League) we could enforce PBYY (Play Before You Yap) for Couch Coaches. In addition to so many things in the realm of putting their money where their mouths are, I'd just love to see how many free throws they'd make.
And for those who fancy themselves HOF coaches, they'd be responsible for the missed free throws of their players. Sorry, no yapping.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Well, this cracked me up.

Fun fact: Before going into NASCAR, Elliott Sadler was a highly sought-after basketball recruit out of high school (Brunswick Academy), where he played SIX sports (football, basketball, baseball, golf, soccer, and cross country). He got a scholarship to JMU but suffered a career-ending injury before he could ever play a single game for them. He is a huge VCU basketball fan.

Last edited:

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Next UR will be doing this, only with much older players as an open try out for the team.
14f67957-1f2b-4ba5-afe3-6505123634e3_0.gif

RamDanFan

Elite Member

Fun fact: Before going into NASCAR, Elliott Sadler was a highly sought-after basketball recruit out of high school (Brunswick Academy), where he played SIX sports (football, basketball, baseball, golf, soccer, and cross country). He got a scholarship to JMU but suffered a career-ending injury before he could ever play a single game for them. He is a huge VCU basketball fan.

My high school was his rival and I played against him in all those sports as well as hung out in the parking lots of South Hill with him and others on the weekends.

This talk reminds me of the fan basketball games the CAAZone would organize the week of the tournament. Keyboard warriors from every school showed up to exhaust ourselves before the first point was scored.

Anyone else remember those? Lasted at least two years.

I was bummed I missed those but I think I had major exams that always fell the week after. I want to say I haven’t played since VCU intramural except one season of RC. After that marathons and golf ate all my sports time.

SWV

Elite Member

My husband gave him swimming lessons back in the day. I remember us being at Walnut Mall in Petersburg one time, and nine-year-old Elliott was walking around the mall smoking, lol.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
My husband gave him swimming lessons back in the day. I remember us being at Walnut Mall in Petersburg one time, and nine-year-old Elliott was walking around the mall smoking, lol.
that will push up your lap times in the pool ha

RamDanFan

Elite Member

If he was 9, then that means the arcade was still in the mall. I remember the Walden Bookstore and The Gary’s novelty store as well. And no one ever forgets the mean old lady at the theater across the street that kept us from seeing R rated movies as a kid. She was relentless. It was easier to buy beer at 16 back then than it was to get pass her at the theater.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Curious if the CAAZone is still around?
A few years ago I was able to access some of the old post, it was hilarious, fun reading, especially some of my old post.

But anyway, I think it was long ago buried, maybe 8-9 years ago from what I can tell.

The fans now post under CSNbbs

SWV

Elite Member
If he was 9, then that means the arcade was still in the mall. I remember the Walden Bookstore and The Gary’s novelty store as well. And no one ever forgets the mean old lady at the theater across the street that kept us from seeing R rated movies as a kid. She was relentless. It was easier to buy beer at 16 back then than it was to get pass her at the theater.
Yes, my husband and I attended Richard Bland from Emporia--we were 19. That was a nice little mall back in the day. I got the coolest, most 80s style jean jacket there!

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I know this is a basketball thread but this is to awesome to keep out of the main forum!!

I'm so psyched I need to pull out my breakfast at Wimbledon music.

Where do we watch this?!!! I need to go into my garage and find my wooden racket and then make some tea with crumpets in preparation for this match!!

Last edited: