2022 Offseason

We used to smoke O’Toole’s every time we played them…Chett‘s owned the fan league

The O'Toole's I played for was between 1979 and '85. We played several years at Westover, another at Henderson and yet another at Huguenot/Thompson Middle School .... never in The Fan League while I was involved ... we may have crossed paths on the church circuit, however; I was with powerhouse, several times Metro champ Bon Air Methodist, with occasional appearances for Ginter Park Presbyterian and even St. Bridget's Catholic, where I served as the baseball coach. You were at St. Augustine's, as I recall; that's a church I have attended but never suited up for. Recall a priest with a dog that ran loose during the proceedings.

Great place…at least it used to be last time I was there. It too reeked of cigarette smoke.

No more smoke. But the onion rings are first-rate and on Tuesdays they have 2-for-1 burgers. Certainly, an older crowd.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Butch Tiller was in my mass comm classes. Isn't he king of softball in Richmond now?

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Thanks for the invite, but I estimate I played about 4,000 games between 1972 and 2018 ... I've had my fill, at 72.
Crash Davis of the Greater Richmond Softball Community.

Crash Davis of the Greater Richmond Softball Community.

Maybe 1,500 homers ... but who's counting? First came at Glen Echo (Dabb's House) in Fall Ball, '72 ... last came at Dorey Park, '2018 in senior tournament. My all-time favorite launching pad was ol' Rockwood No. 2 (since converted to a youth facility); just 239 down leftfield line.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
First time back in that setting since his daughters tragedy. Grieving can usually take well over a year because that is a year of first without a love one
Ah, yes. I follow now.

And also right next to Claymont Steak Shop is Archmere Academy, where I went to High School! Senior year we were allowed to leave campus for lunch and we’d go get cheesesteaks. They were the best.

I was in Philly last weekend and there was some sign about it’s cheesesteak, not steak and cheese!
Know exactly where it is. And yes, they're legendary.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Thanks for the invite, but I estimate I played about 4,000 games between 1972 and 2018 ... I've had my fill, at 72.

There is a retired firefighter that is 69 on my team. one lung. Snags everything at 1st and can hit up the middle with his eyes closed. Courtesy runner allowed.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
My guess for how things are gonna shake up

Dayton
VCU
Loyola
Mason
St. Louis (suffers from hard schedule)
Rhode Island
Davidson (suffers from hard schedule)
Fordham
Umass
Richmond
St Bonaventure
Duquesne
La Salle
St. Joes
GW

I'll be honest... I don't see Mason as a Top 4. I see Davidson or SLU despite the tough schedule being ahead of them... I'd put GMU in that 6-8 range.... maybe 5th if they are lucky.

There is a retired firefighter that is 69 on my team. one lung. Snags everything at 1st and can hit up the middle with his eyes closed. Courtesy runner allowed.

Isn't there also a player in that league who has a fake leg ... and smokes a cigar for therapeutic reasons ... while pitching.