2022 Offseason

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Any idea what % of days they expect the venue to be in use? The metro area is in a great location on the 95 to draw acts that are either coming to or heading from DC.

Looking forward to completion of the project.
Here is a story about the walls going up at the Virginia Center Commons Event Center. The information in the sound bites lets you know that they will be hosting high school/AAU tournaments which is great for our coaches when it comes to recruiting. From what I was told they have already booked events after the completion date. My guess is that they are doing the same for Green City.

rammad90

Elite Member
Yep. Can’t fault them though. In a way, it’s understandable.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Jamir Watkins would have been the best player on our team last year. He will be a monster this year. Just my opinion. The kid has that “it” factor. Of course, I could be wrong. But the national folks tend to minimize this impact.
Wheat I agree with part of your statement, as that was my assessment of Jamir's talent level. I really expected to see him have the Phil Stinnie leap from Fresh to Sophomore level.

Fwiw, I think he, Ace, and Vince would have made an heck of a 1-2-3 triple threat.

I still think Vince would have been the best player as having Jamir on the floor would have made it difficult to double Vince and perhaps Vince doesnt always draw the other teams best defender.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Wheat I agree with part of your statement, as that was my assessment of Jamir's talent level. I really expected to see him have the Phil Stinnie leap from Fresh to Sophomore level.

Fwiw, I think he, Ace, and Vince would have made an heck of a 1-2-3 triple threat.

I still think Vince would have been the best player as having Jamir on the floor would have made it difficult to double Vince and perhaps Vince doesnt always draw the other teams best defender.
I think Vince would've been our overall best player but having Jamir certainly would've opened up the offense.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Jamir was the difference between the NIT and NCAA last year.

I wish it was that simple. The difference between the NIT and the NCAA was really our offense commiting 17 turnovers per game..good for 341st nationally.

Per Mike Rhoades, the turnover average needs to be cut to 12.

Last edited:

BGDragoon80

Insider
I wish it was that simple. The difference between the NIT and the NCAA was really our offense commiting 17 turnovers per game..good for 341st nationally.

It could be that simple. If Jamir wasn't injured, if might have played 20 minutes or more. He played well as a freshman and showed his ability to score in multiple ways. With him playing and touching the ball, he could have potentially reduced turnovers.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
It could be that simple. If Jamir wasn't injured, if might have played 20 minutes or more. He played well as a freshman and showed his ability to score in multiple ways. With him playing and touching the ball, he could have potentially reduced turnovers.

Not catching passes...throwing balls to players when they aren't looking...unnecessary alley oop passes into double coverage 3 to 4 times a game is not related to talent..that is just carelessness.

Watkins or not watkins..if we do the same thing this year..expect the NIT again...

VCUBusiness

Elite Member

And we do that by having better players (Watkins was one of our best) on the court. Therefore Watkins = NCAA. It’s science and maths. Incontrovertible.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
And we do that by having better players (Watkins was one of our best) on the court. Therefore Watkins = NCAA. It’s science and maths. Incontrovertible.
Not catching passes...throwing balls to players when they aren't looking...unnecessary alley oop passes into double coverage 3 to 4 times a game is not related to talent..that is just carelessness.

Watkins or not watkins..if we do the same thing this year..expect the NIT again...