2022 Offseason

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Your comment here supports my original comment. Talent (Watkins) = offensive efficiency = reduced turnovers.= wins=NCAA.
No. It doesn't. If that were the Case, every Kendrick Warren led vcu team would have made the ncaa's. As it stands, VCU was just over .500 during his 4 year stint in the black and gold.

No. It doesn't. If that were the Case, every Kendrick Warren led vcu team would have made the ncaa's. As it stands, VCU was just over .500 during his 4 year stint in the black and gold.
One of the reasons Kendrick’s talent didn’t lead to more wins was a good metro conference, which had as much talent then as present A10 IMHO, and Kendrick’s very poor FT shooting. In final minutes of games teams would intentionally foul Kendrick knowing it was a much smarter option then letting him finish at the rim, which he was electric doing. I remember sitting in the coliseum many a game holding my breath in tight games when Kendrick walked to the FT line. Only other player I recall having those similar panic attacks was Wren Watson, a great shot blocker who struggled mightily at the line.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
One of the reasons Kendrick’s talent didn’t lead to more wins was a good metro conference, which had as much talent then as present A10 IMHO, and Kendrick’s very poor FT shooting. In final minutes of games teams would intentionally foul Kendrick knowing it was a much smarter option then letting him finish at the rim, which he was electric doing. I remember sitting in the coliseum many a game holding my breath in tight games when Kendrick walked to the FT line. Only other player I recall having those similar panic attacks was Wren Watson, a great shot blocker who struggled mightily at the line.

Yes. That's it. He shot about 50% as a freshman and it went below 45%. In addition, there is no empirical evidence the Sonny Smith did anything to develop Kendrick's game. That goes back to coaching.

@BGDragoon80. Watkins would have not made a difference because even our most three major ball handlers Ace, Vince and Curry went thru mental lapses, became careless with the basketball and and caused a significant port portion of the turnovers. Watkins would not have one bit of difference because he would not have been expected to be a major ball handler.

The coaching staff couldn't get a handle around the issue and it costed vcu an NCAA bid.

It really comes down to coaching and execution. If our program( coaching staff anf players ) take the same laissez-faire attitude to toward basketball possessions as last season. Kiss an NCAA bid good bye.. we need to establish an attitude of taking care of the basketball from the first game of the season and carry it all the way the last game.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Yes. That's it. He shot about 50% as a freshman and it went below 45%. In addition, there is no empirical evidence the Sonny Smith did anything to develop Kendrick's game. That goes back to coaching.

@BGDragoon80. Watkins would have not made a difference because even our most three major ball handlers Ace, Vince and Curry went thru mental lapses, became careless with the basketball and and caused a significant port portion of the turnovers. Watkins would not have one bit of difference because he would not have been expected to be a major ball handler.
We were counting on Watkins to take up some of Bones minutes/points. I think it made a pretty big difference. Pretty sure Watkins would have played more minutes than Curry, and this is not a knock on Curry.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
We were counting on Watkins to take up some of Bones minutes/points. I think it made a pretty big difference. Pretty sure Watkins would have played more minutes than Curry, and this is not a knock on Curry.

I don't think it would have made of bit of difference. Ace is the leader, he sets the tone for the rest of the team. As the progressed, Ace became more concerned about making fancy plays than ball control and coughed up the ball with multiple 3+ turnover games. The rest of the followed him into that rut. Watkins, more than likely would have gone along with Ace like everyone else.

It's team thing...not an individual thing.

By the numbers, Davidson is supposed the least talented team in the A10 with smallest athletic budget, yet they are always near the top of the with fewest turnovers per game...and you see the results every year.

We have mid to upper level power 5 talent on this talent yet we committed more turnovers agame than we forced! That's a horrific reason for not making it to the tourney.

Let's stop committing turnovers, make more baskets and win more games.

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
I don't think it would have made of bit of difference. Ace is the leader, he sets the tone for the rest of the team. As the progressed, Ace became more concerned about making fancy plays than ball control and coughed up the ball with multiple 3+ turnover games. The rest of the followed him into that rut. Watkins, more than likely would have gone along with Ace like everyone else.

It's team thing...not an individual thing.

By the numbers, Davidson is supposed the least talented team in the A10 with smallest athletic budget, yet they are always near the top of the with fewest turnovers per game...and you see the results every year.

We have mid to upper level power 5 talent on this talent yet we committed more turnovers agame than we forced! That's a horrific reason for not making it to the tourney.

Let's stop committing turnovers, make more baskets and win more games.
The mental calculus changes with Watkins in the game for all involved. Not only do we have different minute allotments (I think we see a little less Curry), but Ace knowing he’s got Watkins on the floor and doesn’t need to push those fancy passes as much. I think you are highly discounting the season Watkins was going to have if he was healthy. He was a solid contributor as a freshman and was only going to see his minutes go up.

When Vince doesn’t have to force being “the guy”, he probably doesn’t average 3TO a game, along with Curry at 2TO. Jamir averaged 1 TO as a freshman, so we could assume he would have held on to the ball a bit better.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
It could be that simple. If Jamir wasn't injured, if might have played 20 minutes or more. He played well as a freshman and showed his ability to score in multiple ways. With him playing and touching the ball, he could have potentially reduced turnovers.
Can’t have a high use PG turning the ball over 1 out of every 4 possessions and expect to be an NCAA team with aspirations. I love Ace but that is his average over two years with and without Jamir.

If he can get it down to 1 every 5, not great, but it would be a significant improvement and likely get us in the single digit seed range, given the talent on this squad.

Excited to see Jamir’s growth from a freshman year with flashes of excellence to a stronger and consistent threat, but that has to be matched with better decision making and care by the primary ball handler, if this team is to make some noise.

dsilvester

Elite Member
I just moved to Dayton after 2 years in Texas. My wife is working at Wright Patterson Airforce Base. Moved in last week and need to start exploring. Anyone know where VCU sits in the arena. I've never been to a game at Dayton. Also need to meet up with any VCU fans in town and figure out the good places for VCU fans.

I just moved to Dayton after 2 years in Texas. My wife is working at Wright Patterson Airforce Base. Moved in last week and need to start exploring. Anyone know where VCU sits in the arena. I've never been to a game at Dayton. Also need to meet up with any VCU fans in town and figure out the good places for VCU fans.
Well, Christmas and the day VCU comes to town are taken care of. Just need a plan for the other 363 days.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
Our bench is the one in front of Sections 105, 106, or 107 if that helps.

This whole Jamir playing discussion is all if’s. No different from if we closed both Davidson games or if didn’t get blasted by 30 at home, etc. If Butler didn’t suddenly go “NBA Jam “he’s on fire” we probably have a national championship. We can’t simply say inserting one player would have totaled changed our historically bad offense.