Recruiting 2023 Offers

duncanlamb

Elite Member

Kinda disappointed we weren’t more in on Dennis! But maybe he was never interested in us 🤷🏽‍♂️

To my knowledge we never seriously pursued him. There is likely a pretty good reason for that. I made a post last year that it was highly unlikely we would go after Dennis hard given the fact that we had just landed Fats. You are talking about two local top 100 players of similar size who will likely end up playing the same position. Recruiting local stars can be tricky. Historically at least, it has been difficult at best to recruit two local stars for the same position. You have to be extra careful about the appearance of recruiting over a prized local star. It's easier to pull this off with non-local kids. We don't know what commitments were made during the recruitment of Fats. None of this is insider information but likely explains the rationale for the non-aggressive recruitment of Dennis.

Fats is going to contribute right away. Very talented and a great young man.
But isn't Ty Foster moreso like fatts then dennis?

To my knowledge we never seriously pursued him. There is likely a pretty good reason for that. I made a post last year that it was highly unlikely we would go after Dennis hard given the fact that we had just landed Fats. You are talking about two local top 100 players of similar size who will likely end up playing the same position. Recruiting local stars can be tricky. Historically at least, it has been difficult at best to recruit two local stars for the same position. You have to be extra careful about the appearance of recruiting over a prized local star. It's easier to pull this off with non-local kids. We don't know what commitments were made during the recruitment of Fats. None of this is insider information but likely explains the rationale for the non-aggressive recruitment of Dennis.

Fats is going to contribute right away. Very talented and a great young man.
ik this isn't your point, but I would love to have two local top 100 players of similar size who will likely end up playing the same position

RAMification

Elite Member
It's likely all three will end up being similar players. The point of my post was recruiting two LOCAL stars that are quite similar is tricky. It was a substantial coup to land Fatts. Nabbing a top 100 Richmond kid has not always been an easy task for VCU. You need success here.

vcu_baum

Elite Member
Fats is not, and will not be, a PG
He will not be a PG but I can definitely see him being a point forward where he’s allowed to get the the defensive rebound and push the ball up the court himself to make a play. But that’s the extent I see of this “PG” business lol

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Elite Member
The ""Sloan Cold Facts" podcast dropped an 1 on 1 interview with the Marland Lowe. He is the father of one VCU's 2023 offers, 4* Top 100 PG Jaland Lowe.

Very enlightening about the whole recruitment process and how he and his son are selecting a school.
He also really goes into his own upbring growing up and becoming one of the best guards in East Texas and the nation(Street and Smith's...the whole enchilada).

He was going to play for Denny Crum in Louisville. His career got derailed by one stupid act high school.

Last edited: