21-22 Opponent Tracking Thread

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I have for some reason been thinking about this some for the past couple weeks and I am not convinced UR is committed to excellence in sports(primarily thinking of Basketball and Football). From and outsiders view it feels like the powers to be are fine with "just good enough". Just good enough facilities to keep the conference happy. Just good enough records to keep donors giving. From my perspective, Mooney is doing exactly what he was hired to do. Don't tarnish the name and be just good enough to be acceptable to most people. Now for those that are more fan than alum its a tough pill to swallow but at this moment it is what it is...just good enough
I have a good friend who is a UR grad and is at his wit's end. We have had more discussions than I can count where he said EXACTLY what you said ... that they really aren't concerned about being the best. My friend would never admit it, but it's obvious that he's jealous of VCU's success, and I suspect most UR fans are. The excuse that they are small, private, and have higher admission standards just doesn't hold water. Talk to the people at Duke University about being small, private, and having high admissions standards. Gonzaga may have something to say about it as well.

VCURAMIT

Top Member
Apr 23, 2019
I have a good friend who is a UR grad and is at his wit's end. We have had more discussions than I can count where he said EXACTLY what you said ... that they really aren't concerned about being the best. My friend would never admit it, but it's obvious that he's jealous of VCU's success, and I suspect most UR fans are. The excuse that they are small, private, and have higher admission standards just doesn't hold water. Talk to the people at Duke University about being small, private, and having high admissions standards. Gonzaga may have something to say about it as well.

Davidson has higher admission standards than UR and I don't see them having any of the same issues.

Jan 16, 2020
What are the NCAA admission minimums regarding GPA's and standardized tests? That's basically what they are for all Division 1 schools regarding football and basketball. Keep in mind, there are admission standards for general student body, and then admission standards for athletes that might help win games and create revenue. The requirements are stunningly different.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
What are the NCAA admission minimums regarding GPA's and standardized tests? That's basically what they are for all Division 1 schools regarding football and basketball. Keep in mind, there are admission standards for general student body, and then admission standards for athletes that might help win games and create revenue. The requirements are stunningly different.
No, the requirements are stunningly the same for all students, athletes and non-athletes alike, at all Division 1 institutions including ACC and Big East Basketball and SEC Football...
;) ;) ;)

Feb 8, 2010
Talk to the people at Duke University about being small, private, and having high admissions standards. Gonzaga may have something to say about it as well.
Richmond's acceptance rate in 2020 was 28.3%.

Villanova's was 28.2%
USC's was 11%
UCLA's was 12.3%
Michigan's was 22.9%
Virginia's was 24%
UNC's was 22.6%
Georgia Tech's was 20.6%
Georgetown's was 14.4%

All of those schools were more selective than Richmond this past academic year and made the NCAA Tournament. Richmond did not.

I don't want to hear a UR fan talk about how "academics are too stringent for us to be able to compete" ever again.

Jan 16, 2020
Richmond's acceptance rate in 2020 was 28.3%.

Villanova's was 28.2%
USC's was 11%
UCLA's was 12.3%
Michigan's was 22.9%
Virginia's was 24%
UNC's was 22.6%
Georgia Tech's was 20.6%
Georgetown's was 14.4%

All of those schools were more selective than Richmond this past academic year and made the NCAA Tournament. Richmond did not.

I don't want to hear a UR fan talk about how "academics are too stringent for us to be able to compete" ever again.

Perhaps a truer gauge in determining difficulty of college entry would be comparing SAT/ACT test scores (gpa's are too arbitrary).... wouldn't be surprised if football and basketball players are at least 300 SAT points below general student body . And then, surprisingly (lol), the athletes almost always excel despite what would seem a distinct academic disadvantage.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Perhaps a truer gauge in determining difficulty of college entry would be comparing SAT/ACT test scores (gpa's are too arbitrary).... wouldn't be surprised if football and basketball players are at least 300 SAT points below general student body . And then, surprisingly (lol), the athletes almost always excel despite what would seem a distinct academic disadvantage.
Colleges are moving away from the SAT/ACT tests. Last fall, 51 colleges and universities stopped relying on those tests for their admissions, and that number seems to be growing.

Reactions: DCDuck

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Colleges are moving away from the SAT/ACT tests. Last fall, 51 colleges and universities stopped relying on those tests for their admissions, and that number seems to be growing.

COVID drove that to some extent (but not exclusively). It’ll be interesting to see how many will stay the course w/out SAT/ACT. We are going back to test required after the fall 2021 class.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
COVID drove that to some extent (but not exclusively). It’ll be interesting to see how many will stay the course w/out SAT/ACT. We are going back to test required after the fall 2021 class.
Precisely. The reason was that many kids couldn't actually take the SAT because it wasn't being offered. I suspect that some schools will go back to requiring it for fall 2022, while others accept it optionally.

Reactions: rammed

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Acceptance rates are also influenced by application rates. I'd be USC has the highest application rate of any school on that list, and if they don't, UCLA does.

Feb 8, 2010
My point is mainly that all of those schools are known for academic excellence and yet somehow manage to be competitive in basketball. "Our academic standards are too rigorous to attract elite athletes" is the same excuse Notre Dame used when they were derping along in football under Charlie Weis and Tyrone Willingham.

It's not academics that are keeping Richmond's ceiling at "second-round exit from the NIT", it's a lack of desire from the folks upstairs to make changes to allow the program to progress further. Again, I never want to hear any UR fans complaining that high academic standards are the problem ever again.