21-22 Opponent Tracking Thread

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
I have for some reason been thinking about this some for the past couple weeks and I am not convinced UR is committed to excellence in sports(primarily thinking of Basketball and Football). From and outsiders view it feels like the powers to be are fine with "just good enough". Just good enough facilities to keep the conference happy. Just good enough records to keep donors giving. From my perspective, Mooney is doing exactly what he was hired to do. Don't tarnish the name and be just good enough to be acceptable to most people. Now for those that are more fan than alum its a tough pill to swallow but at this moment it is what it is...just good enough
There is so much going on (very serious problems)at UR this academic year regaring building names, equity, racism, etc that athletics is just shadowed by real deep rooted problems.

I wonder when Randolph-Macon's coach Josh Merkel will make the move to D1. He was D3 National Coach of the Year and has a great record there.

VCUBusiness

Top Member
Feb 17, 2015
There is so much going on (very serious problems)at UR this academic year regaring building names, equity, racism, etc that athletics is just shadowed by real deep rooted problems.

I wonder when Randolph-Macon's coach Josh Merkel will make the move to D1. He was D3 National Coach of the Year and has a great record there.
I don't know enough about Merkel, but if/when one of our assistants leave, perhaps Mike reaches out given the history/connection and success?

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Update on Dave Paulsen:

Hoop Dirt had mentioned that he was being considered for an assistant coach's position at Boston College, but that must have not worked out as B.C. has now hired all their coaches. Today, Hoop Dirt said that Paulsen is currently a finalist for the head coaching job at Bowdoin, a d3 school.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Update on Dave Paulsen:

Hoop Dirt had mentioned that he was being considered for an assistant coach's position at Boston College, but that must have not worked out as B.C. has now hired all their coaches. Today, Hoop Dirt said that Paulsen is currently a finalist for the head coaching job at Bowdoin, a d3 school.

Lo, how the not-so-mighty have fallen.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Colleges are moving away from the SAT/ACT tests. Last fall, 51 colleges and universities stopped relying on those tests for their admissions, and that number seems to be growing.

Worst decision ever made IMO. There is such a high level of grade inflation at the HS level that a 3.0 at one school is no longer comparable to a 3.0 at another school....(both out of a 4.0 scale.) The only way to compare students is through a single common test.....AND an onsite writing assessment (or during the interview process).
However, I will admit there are certain biases with the SAT/ACT. But some of the arguments against these exams are extremely weak. If you have never seen or heard of a banana before, you still ought to be able to answer the question: If you had 5 bananas and gave 4 of them to a friend, how many do you have left? Knowing what a banana is, does not matter.
Over 22 years of teaching at the college level, I have seen a slow academic and intellectual decline of entering students.....they have become much less autonomous and have become very needy.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Lo, how the not-so-mighty have fallen.
I guess I don't understand why Joseph found a gig at fur, whereas Paulsen might have to move to the d3 ranks. Paulsen was a mediocre head coach, but he's been wildly more successful than Joseph. Furthermore, they both have similar recruiting footprints. What am I missing?

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Worst decision ever made IMO. There is such a high level of grade inflation at the HS level that a 3.0 at one school is no longer comparable to a 3.0 at another school....(both out of a 4.0 scale.) The only way to compare students is through a single common test.....AND an onsite writing assessment (or during the interview process).
However, I will admit there are certain biases with the SAT/ACT. But some of the arguments against these exams are extremely weak. If you have never seen or heard of a banana before, you still ought to be able to answer the question: If you had 5 bananas and gave 4 of them to a friend, how many do you have left? Knowing what a banana is, does not matter.
Over 22 years of teaching at the college level, I have seen a slow academic and intellectual decline of entering students.....they have become much less autonomous and have become very needy.
I teach at the college level as well, and I completely agree with you.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I guess I don't understand why Joseph found a gig at fur, whereas Paulsen might have to move to the d3 ranks. Paulsen was a mediocre head coach, but he's been wildly more successful than Joseph. Furthermore, they both have similar recruiting footprints. What am I missing?
That's a very good question. Paulsen did a much better job at Mason than Joseph did at GW, with the possible exception of Joseph's first year at GW when he had most of Mike Lonergan's players and finished 6th in the conference (Mason finished 7th). Joseph is not a good recruiter and honestly he should be the one coaching in a lower division.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't another D1 job available for Paulsen, whether as a head coach or an assistant.

May 5, 2009
Based upon my research, I found that that the high school GPA is a better indicator of college success than the SAT score. Doing well in high school over a period of four years shows at level of self-discipline and perseverance. An SAT score is just one indicator and a bright student could have a high SAT score and be a jerk off when it comes to academic performance at the college level.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Based upon my research, I found that that the high school GPA is a better indicator of college success than the SAT score. Doing well in high school over a period of four years shows at level of self-discipline and perseverance. An SAT score is just one indicator and a bright student could have a high SAT score and be a jerk off when it comes to academic performance at the college level.
Hmmmmmm.......if there were only 10MM or so studies done on this topic. Is there a more interesting rabbit hole we can dive into?

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I've seen plenty of students with a 4.0 HS GPA (out of a 4.0 scale) who are as dumb as a door nail.
And I never said the SAT/ACT should be the only factor used for admissions. The SAT/ACT, GPA, on interview writing sample, and student extracurricular activities/jobs all should be used when assessing student admission.

VCU94MCV98

Top Member
Mar 27, 2011
We should do away with both GPA and standardized testing and assign all students a star rating. That would solve everything.

I will also add that I was pretty lazy in high school and probably would have been about a 1.5-star recruit.
VCU wasn't my dream school, but Will Wade wasn't around to make me a strong ass offer so I ended up coming here.
I must have had a chip on my shoulder because I did pretty well academically and was also the undisputed Tecmo Bowl and Double Dribble champion of Rhoads Hall.
And yes, I had my bags packed two weeks early because I was bored at home.

Jan 16, 2020
I think he would be a great assistant.

Did anyone ever think Dave Robbins would have been a good assistant at VCU? After all, he only has about the greatest coaching resume of all time, highlighted by three national championships. Plus, he beat VCU twice in Siegel Center exhibitions.
\

Reactions: TampaKAP